Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 105 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2620

Thread: Other authors you collect

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Dreamhaven Books also has copies of the book/notebook combo for $200 is anyone couldn't get one from SubPress. Dreamhaven has numbered copies, not PC ones
    In addition to being a really cool novel that doesn't get it's due, I consider this particular edition one of the finest books- in terms of design & craftsmanship- that I've ever seen, and certainly one of the top books in my collection. It's astonishingly lovely, inside and out.

Ron

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Ben,

If Summer of Night, and Salem's Lot are among your Top 5- well, you've got great taste, as they are indeed in mine as well. ...

Ron
    Ron,
    A quick note on SON. I left Dan Simmons a message on his forum about possibly adding the Banished Dreams material into the upcoming re-issue of Summer Of Night. He responded back and indicated that he liked the idea but it is too late for the Thomas Dunne re-issue. I forwarded the response to Bill at Sub Press encouraging him to touch base with Dan about doing a fully restored limited edition of SON. Since they have done several Simmons limiteds I fgured it has a chance. We'll see.
    Ben,

Well, I'm glad someone's on this. It's an important book, and if we get a nice Subpress limited out of it- I'll indeed thank you. Good idea about including Banished Dreams! Yeah, that has to be in there! I'd almost forgotten about that little chapbook that was trading for $300 at one point many years ago. I'd love to see a larger trim size, fully illustrated SON. Hope it happens!

Ron
    Well, based on everone's lists and recommendations, I purchased a signed 1st/1st of Summer of Night with the Banished Dreams chap.
    $75 total including shipping. (Thinking that was a good deal)
    Moved this one to next-up in the reading queue.

Also received the Easton Press Fahrenheit 451 this week.
    What a great looking book. My first Easton also, very happy with the purchase.

Thanks to all for the info.

Karl

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dreamhaven Books also has copies of the book/notebook combo for $200 is anyone couldn't get one from SubPress. Dreamhaven has numbered copies, not PC ones
    In addition to being a really cool novel that doesn't get it's due, I consider this particular edition one of the finest books- in terms of design & craftsmanship- that I've ever seen, and certainly one of the top books in my collection. It's astonishingly lovely, inside and out.

Ron
    I completely agree. The Hill House books were absolutely beautiful. And as for the story itself, I find that people either enjoy Gaiman a lot or they don't get it at all. I am glad I fall into the first group.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Well, based on everone's lists and recommendations, I purchased a signed 1st/1st of Summer of Night with the Banished Dreams chap.

Karl
    Congrats, Karl! The thing about SON is it has a few scenes in there that are just flat out terrifying. I've read it twice- last time about 6-7 years ago, but those scenes have always stayed with me. REALLY good book. A lot of people think it's a little too close to King's IT for their tastes- and it is, in a way, but I love IT, and I love SON as well.

Still waiting on my Fahrenheit! Can't wait to see this thing.

Ron

My Mood
    Relaxed

I completely agree. The Hill House books were absolutely beautiful. And as for the story itself, I find that people either enjoy Gaiman a lot or they don't get it at all. I am glad I fall into the first group.
    Yep, I know a lot of people got burned by HH, and I'm sensitive to that, but damn if they weren't my favorite publisher- when they actually sent books to people who paid for them. I like all of them, but I gotta say that ANANSI BOYS- their last book- is by far the best. It's just a masterpiece of design, printing, craftsmanship. Guess they spent so much on it, it turned out to be the final nail in their coffin. Total bummer, because as much as I love Subpress, their Gaiman's just haven't measured up. But, there's also a reason that Bill is still in business after all these years- and HH went down in flames- a brilliant failure. The difference is that I will be taking ANANSI BOYS and AMERICAN GODS off the shelf and marveling at their beauty over and over until I'm old and grey, and THE GRAVEYARD BOOK....meh, not so much. I have optimistic hope for Smoke & Mirrors, however. We'll see.

And I know what you mean about Gaiman. All I can say is that although he and King couldn't be more different writers, over the last 10 years- Gaiman has been to me what King was to me 20 years ago- the guy I would drop everything for and read cover to cover. Sadly, for whatever reason, King doesn't do that for me anymore. I keep hoping...

Ron

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by willie3 View Post

Karl
    After your finish SON/BD follow it up with Simmons' A Winter Haunting which is a sequel of sorts and a good read.

Traveler vbull is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Got a great book today.

Reggie Oliver's "The Complete Symphonies of Adolph Hitler"
    If you like short stories, you should really have a look at his collections. They are pretty scarce though. But Centipede made a collection last year called Dramas From the Depth.
    This one complete my RO collections so far.

Received earlier this week Chimera 1 by Centipede and I'm a bit disapointed by the overall production. Maybe that's why they only made less than 60 instead of 500.

Jerome

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I don´t collect Jack Vance, i try to become ALL lim/sig Edition Phantasia Books.

Jack Vance Morreion Edition Phantasia limited 247/250 golden clothbound oversice hartcover.

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Willie, did you ever get a shipping notice or confirmation email? I have received neither, nor a charge to my bank account (I ordered the day it appeared in this thread) and when I emailed customer service they were all "It'll charge when we ship it."

Just curious as this is too my first Easton order, and I'd like my book sooner rather than later.

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yep, I know a lot of people got burned by HH, and I'm sensitive to that, but damn if they weren't my favorite publisher- when they actually sent books to people who paid for them. I like all of them, but I gotta say that ANANSI BOYS- their last book- is by far the best. It's just a masterpiece of design, printing, craftsmanship. Guess they spent so much on it, it turned out to be the final nail in their coffin. Total bummer, because as much as I love Subpress, their Gaiman's just haven't measured up. But, there's also a reason that Bill is still in business after all these years- and HH went down in flames- a brilliant failure. The difference is that I will be taking ANANSI BOYS and AMERICAN GODS off the shelf and marveling at their beauty over and over until I'm old and grey, and THE GRAVEYARD BOOK....meh, not so much. I have optimistic hope for Smoke & Mirrors, however. We'll see.
    Ron
    I wouldn't hold your breath! The very least Hill House limited is still not comparable to the very best SubPress limited. But like you said, there's a reason Bill does so well. Books come out more or less on time and they are generally more affordable. Not to mention the volume quantity over an average year.

Country
    Country Flag

And as for the story itself, I find that people either enjoy Gaiman a lot or they don't get it at all. I am glad I fall into the first group.
    I find that even within the Gaiman fan base, there are splits. I've talked to others who (like myself) who loves Neil's work, but dislikes the American God novels/stories. I was really tempted on the HH Anansi, but in the end turned it down, because I was sooo... "meh" on AG that I never even read AB.

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegreattim View Post

Willie, did you ever get a shipping notice or confirmation email? I have received neither, nor a charge to my bank account (I ordered the day it appeared in this thread) and when I emailed customer service they were all "It'll charge when we ship it."

Just curious as this is too my first Easton order, and I'd like my book sooner rather than later.
    No shipping notice, just showed up at the house.
    They did charge my account for the first payment & shipping.
    I asked for "express' shipping, which turned out to be UPS Second Day.

Karl

Country
    Country Flag

I was also a Hill House Gaiman Series member.
    And I too, thought the production values were superb.
    Though SubPress is not Hill House, I have been happy, for the most part, with the price value from them.
    I was burned on the Bradbury stuff I paid for.
    Some of my early posts here show how upset and angry I was when they folded up their tent and skipped town (figuratively) with the money.
    Even though I had to pay for it again, SubPress and PS did a great job finishing Hill House's edition of the Martain Chronicals.
    Not what HH would have done, but a good job none the less. (And they published it)

Karl

(And I loved American Gods. Wish Neil would get off his ass and write another "adult" novel !!)

Country
    Country Flag

A new adult Gaiman would be awesome!

Country
    Country Flag

Karl
    Thanks Karl. I just emailed customer service again to check on the situation. After more than a week, I'd expect some kind of a communication. Even if it is only a "Thank you for your order" email.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Karl
    Thanks Karl. I just emailed customer service again to check on the situation. After more than a week, I'd expect some kind of a communication. Even if it is only a "Thank you for your order" email.
    I, too, ordered on the first day it was mentioned on this site. I got an e-mail confirmation but have had no further communication from them and my card has not been charged. I have no idea as to the inner workings of Easton Press but I am thinking that they don't bind up all 700 copies at once, maybe 100 or so to see how it sells. I think they might have sold what they had on hand and are having another batch bound up. We will probably be in the next group and when they are ready we will see the charge on our cards and the books arrive later. At least that is what I suspect is going on. Let us know if you hear from customer service.

Country
    Country Flag

Will do. It's nice that you at least got the initial confirmation. The lack of that, more than anything, is why I wrote them again to see what's going on.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

Karl
    I, too, ordered on the first day it was mentioned on this site. I got an e-mail confirmation but have had no further communication from them and my card has not been charged. I have no idea as to the inner workings of Easton Press but I am thinking that they don't bind up all 700 copies at once, maybe 100 or so to see how it sells. I think they might have sold what they had on hand and are having another batch bound up. We will probably be in the next group and when they are ready we will see the charge on our cards and the books arrive later. At least that is what I suspect is going on. Let us know if you hear from customer service.
    I ordered and was charged on 2/2.
    Shipped on 2/3, received on 2/7.
    I received #205.

Karl

My Mood
    Relaxed

I ordered Jan 31 by phone, but chose to have Easton bill me. This is the method I have used for nearly 20 years. They send the book(s) with the first invoice, and I make the first payment then and am billed (via snail mail) every month until balance is paid. I just received an invoice only today- no book- saying that once my first payment was received, then they would ship out my book. Never had that happen with Easton, so perhaps Bob is on to something. Could they be stalling?!

Ron

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I was also a Hill House Gaiman Series member.
    And I too, thought the production values were superb.
    Though SubPress is not Hill House, I have been happy, for the most part, with the price value from them.
    I was burned on the Bradbury stuff I paid for.
    Some of my early posts here show how upset and angry I was when they folded up their tent and skipped town (figuratively) with the money.
    Even though I had to pay for it again, SubPress and PS did a great job finishing Hill House's edition of the Martain Chronicals.
    Not what HH would have done, but a good job none the less. (And they published it)

Karl

(And I loved American Gods. Wish Neil would get off his ass and write another "adult" novel !!)
    Sorry I gotta disagree with the edition PS and Sub Press did with The Martian Chronicles. The paper boards are the same paper and design that PS uses in it's Stanza line of poetry books. They sell for $18 I think. Also the black cloth is horrible - within seconds of bringing the book out of its packaging it was all smudged and looked dirty. That type of black cloth is horrible to use in a book. Now the interior design is nice, though. Anyway my point is Hill House would have done a better job by far and I felt PS and Sub Press went with some pretty cheap materials for such an expensive book.

Hill House was the best, the American Gods Lettered Edition is one of my most prized possessions and will never be sold. And sadly I have a promotional page for the Lettered Edition of Anansi Boys. It was going to use the same wooden case that was used for American Gods, but just all wood this time, and the notebooks was a hardcover. From this picture there was a case and hardcover created, so there is at least one copy out there, but I am sure it is at Peter's house. Also of note I have a Lettered Anansi Boys metal plate, it was a plate similar to the one for American Gods that goes on the outside of the wooden case. I was sent this stuff saying the lettered Edition was almost ready! (yea, right) Damn, this Lettered was so close to being made, I just cry thinking about it.
    Geoff

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Inquire to see if Dolso can duplicate the case.

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Haven't seen anybody mention this one yet, but I know McCammon is popular amongst the group:

Now available for pre-orders: THE HUNTER FROM THE WOODS, the collection of stories featuring Michael Gallatin, the lycanthropic hero from THE WOLF'S HOUR! The book will be published in November 2011 by Subterranean Press.
    McCammon, The Hunter from the Woods (preorder): Subterranean
    http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Mer...oduct_Count=24
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

Karl
    Today from Easton Press Customer Service:

Hi Tim,
    Your ship date is 2/17/11 and you will see the charge soon after that.
    Thank you for your patience!
    Regards,
    Maryann
    Customer Service

No explanation as to the difference in shipping/order processing times, nor an explanation of lack of communication... but at least it should be here soon.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I ordered one from Easton too and when I was on the phone the person told me it would ship on Thursday. I thought that meant last Thursday but it must mean this Thursday when the orders go out.

@RF, good idea but I only have a sheet of paper and a metal label for the Lettered, I only have the Limited Edition of Anansi Boys.

EDIT: I lied, I just received mine today, so it was sent last Thursday.
    Geoff

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This one is on my list to order soon.

Life is a garden...dig it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 105 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 ... LastLast