Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Robert E. Howard
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Congratulations, Geoff! It's such a great feeling to finally get something you've been wanting for a long time.
    It is a huge relief. I thought I would never find one, as every time I looked on abebooks, mass search engines or ebay, it never came up. So I am a very, very happy camper. And yes, these books are beautifully done. All by hand, and George Walker does wood block prints for the images. These books are beautiful collector pieces. I now actually have four of their books. Two by Gaiman, one by Ketchum and one by Keene.

and thanks everyone
    Geoff

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Congrats on obtaining your grail, Geoff. That's a great looking book.

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope I am not over doing this but I have 1 other book to sell (I am trying to list them all at real good prices so hopefully offering them here is OK):

Mirrormask, the Illustrated Script of the Motion Picture from the Jim Henson Company by Neil Gaiman, & Dave McKean both who have signed on the 2nd page from book # 292 of 500 1st Editions. Published by Subterranean Press. Includes the full screenplay, dialogue, cut material from the finished film, over 1700 storyboards, and notes and emails that helped form the basis of the film. 332 oversized pages, in new condition.

Original publisher price 125.00, I will sell for only 50.00 plus shipping (actual cost).

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats, Geoff, looks a wonderful book.

Damn, Dave, less than two weeks ago I ordered Mirrormask from Sub Press. Too bad (for me) you didn't post sooner.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Congrats, Geoff, looks a wonderful book.

Damn, Dave, less than two weeks ago I ordered Mirrormask from Sub Press. Too bad (for me) you didn't post sooner.
    Sorry Patrick that I didn't post sooner, are you sure you don't need a second copy

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Lovecraft

I bought several years ago, maybe as long ago as seven or eight, the first volume of the authoritative HP Lovecraft writings published by Arkham House, a really nice hardcover. It was The Dunwich Horror and Others, the first volume of three, with this cover art: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageunwich_sixth.jpg The printing inside is stated as Corrected Tenth Printing, which, according to Wikipedia, was published in 1997.

Since I bought this book a while ago and never really read it until now, I haven't looked for the other volumes, and only now do I discover there were newer printings with new (and, in my opinion, worse) covers, such as this: http://64.227.162.73/miva/graphics/0...andOthers1.jpg

Can anyone help me? If I order online, how can I make sure I'm getting the 1997 editions with the old-style artwork?

Thanks.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am going to move this into the Collector area of Calvin's Corner as its own thread. Once you (hopefully) get an answer it will be merged into the general questions thread.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I bought several years ago, maybe as long ago as seven or eight, the first volume of the authoritative HP Lovecraft writings published by Arkham House, a really nice hardcover. It was The Dunwich Horror and Others, the first volume of three, with this cover art: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageunwich_sixth.jpg The printing inside is stated as Corrected Tenth Printing, which, according to Wikipedia, was published in 1997.

Since I bought this book a while ago and never really read it until now, I haven't looked for the other volumes, and only now do I discover there were newer printings with new (and, in my opinion, worse) covers, such as this: http://64.227.162.73/miva/graphics/0...andOthers1.jpg

Can anyone help me? If I order online, how can I make sure I'm getting the 1997 editions with the old-style artwork?

Thanks.
    Pablo, the only way to be sure is to ask the seller for a picture of the dust jacket. If he says he cannot supply one, move on.

John

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also, if you want a very well built and nice looking copy, you might wish to track down the Easton Press edition of this title. Its gorgeous, but pretty scarce these days....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm only looking for the 1997 editions for their artwork, to match my first volume. I could order them right now from Amazon or directly from Arkham House, but I'm sure I'll get the newer versions with the very cheesy covers. I checked, though not extensively yet, eBay and Half.com and most again are selling the newer editions it seems.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

You are looking for the Raymond Bayless just jacket. Just ask the seller is he is the artist for the dust jacket.

here's one for $30 on abebooks
    http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...%3D34%26y%3D18

btw, it's a stock photo, but he states the illustrator, which is Bayless.

btw, you can always send emails to these guys on eBay or abebooks and ask for a photo to be sent to you.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I could resist throwing in some images of Arkham House Lovecraft books I own. I like to collect some Lovecraft (not a huge collector)

Geoff

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I sold all my Arkham House books a year or so ago--I had an almost complete set up to about 1980 or so--for a goodly sum. The Lovecrafts all were first editions, first printings. I just got tired of having them around. Silly, huh?

John

Country
    Country Flag

Geoff, that's a really nice collection. I only now started collecting Lovecraft, and these are the editions I'm after (according to Wikipedia):

0-87054-038-6 Stated "Corrected Eighth Printing" 1997

0-87054-039-4 Stated "Corrected Eighth Printing" 1997

0-87054-040-8 Stated "Corrected Fourth Printing" 1992

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I sold all my Arkham House books a year or so ago--I had an almost complete set up to about 1980 or so--for a goodly sum. The Lovecrafts all were first editions, first printings. I just got tired of having them around. Silly, huh?

John
    Well if you got a lot of money, hey what the heck, why not. *shrug* Anyway there are a lot of people who like to collect Arkham House books, myself included, although I only have about 30 books. I would have loved to see that collection, though, John!

and thanks Pablo!
    Geoff

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Anne Rice used to be a favorite author of mine but I don't read her much anymore. I do still collect her books, however, and have had some remarkable luck in the past several months obtaining proofs of her earliest works. Most (except the Interview With The Vampire proof) were obtained at very modest prices despite extreme scarcity for at least three of the titles. It's been quite a run of good luck.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's been quite a run of good luck.
    Persistence and determination create good luck.
    Congratulations.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I collect J.D. Salinger and Philip K. Dick.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    I collect J.D. Salinger and Philip K. Dick.
    I'd love to start collecting P.K. Dick, but the 1st editions are SO expensive...I wish there was a cheaper alternative to get started.

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

Those are nice Bob! My local used book store has a first of Interview on the shelf for sale. It's mine He is such a nice guy he's allowing me to make payments on it. It's in really good shape too...$200. Once I get it I will have all of the firsts of the Vampire Chronicles!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    Those are nice Bob! My local used book store has a first of Interview on the shelf for sale. It's mine He is such a nice guy he's allowing me to make payments on it. It's in really good shape too...$200. Once I get it I will have all of the firsts of the Vampire Chronicles!
    Congratulations. INTERVIEW is a tough book to find in really good shape. The dust jacket is very prone to wear, scratching, etc. with the gold foil coating.

INTERVIEW is a great book, IMO. And I still count THE VAMPIRE LESTAT as one of my top 10 all-time favorite books. THE QUEEN OF THE DAMNED was nearly as good. And then they seemed to drop off for me. I started enjoying each one less than the one before. By the time I finished the abysmal VIOLIN I was ready to stop reading Rice all together. I haven't read her two newest books and I probably will not read her autobiography which will be published in Fall, 2008.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

[quote=carlosdetweiller;167207]
    Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    INTERVIEW is a great book, IMO. And I still count THE VAMPIRE LESTAT as one of my top 10 all-time favorite books. THE QUEEN OF THE DAMNED was nearly as good. And then they seemed to drop off for me. I started enjoying each one less than the one before. By the time I finished the abysmal VIOLIN I was ready to stop reading Rice all together. I haven't read her two newest books and I probably will not read her autobiography which will be published in Fall, 2008.
    This was the same for me. I loved the first three books, some of the best reads I've read, but after that I just couldn't get into her work anymore.
    Geoff

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

Congratulations. INTERVIEW is a tough book to find in really good shape. The dust jacket is very prone to wear, scratching, etc. with the gold foil coating.

It's not in the greatest of shape but still good for me. There is some wear, but no scratching and the wear is pretty minimal. When I finish paying for it I will post it. I have to say I enjoyed the first four books but the rest were let downs. On the other side (Anne Rampling) I enjoyed her Exit To Eden when I read it many moons ago and hopefully one day I will come across a first edition of that. I don't think I will pay a lot for it because I don't think it was that popular.

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, some pretty cool news, at least for myself:

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum...lovecraft.html

So now I can stop looking for those expensive AH volumes and get the B&N when it comes out, and gift my current copy of Dunwich to someone. However, I'll still need to hunt down the Miscellaneous Writings and the Revisions volumes -- so maybe this is all false hope

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast