Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Besides King, the only other author I have every book from is Don Robertson!

I have signed copies of Joe Hill's U.S. versions of HSB and 20th Century Ghosts, but no limiteds, etcetera.
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a couple S/L Joe Hill's, one personalised JH, and a couple other signed limited's by other authors. Aside from that I just collect books in general and horror specifically although aside from King and the above mentioned books I don't think I have anything particularly rare.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Other that Sk I collect several authors as follows:
    • Joe Hill
    • Frank Herbert (all Dune plus some others)
    • Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson (all Dune - all signed - some others)
    • Terry Brooks - All Shanarra Books
    • JK Rowling - all 7 HP editions
    • Christopher Paolini - Eragon, Eldest (waiting on Brisngr)!
    • Mitch Albom
    Besides SK

Other authors that I have at least multiple books by include:
    • CS Lewis
    • Ursala K Leguin
    • John Varley
    • Terry Goodkind
    • Dennis Lehane
    • Tabatha King
    • Jack Ketchum
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Umm... not trying to be inaccurate, but as far as collections go... I collect Michael Crichton as an author but as series go I collect as many star trek books as possible.

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Great to see another Don Robertson collector. Robertson is the only other author I collect as well. I have everything in hardcover except The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread. And I need a copy of Make a Wish with a dj. I'm only missing one or two paperbacks. Most of his later books weren't issued in pb.

Amazon is showing that Harper is going to reprint TGTSSB in April, but I can't find any confirmation of this on Harper Collins website.

Pics:

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome collection, idlewarnings! I don't think I've heard of Robertson before, but I'll remember the name now.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    Great to see another Don Robertson collector. Robertson is the only other author I collect as well. I have everything in hardcover except The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread. And I need a copy of Make a Wish with a dj. I'm only missing one or two paperbacks. Most of his later books weren't issued in pb.

Amazon is showing that Harper is going to reprint TGTSSB in April, but I can't find any confirmation of this on Harper Collins website.
    Very nice collection, idlewarnings!

Yeah, I actually first found the info on the re-release of TGTSSB in a Harper Collins Childrens "Summer 2008 Domestic Rights Guide" document online (now all they have online is the Fall 2008 Guide) late last year, but, as you say, the title itself doesn't seem to appear on their site. Still, if you Google the ISBN 0061452963, many places list it! I've pre-ordered it through Amazon, and I hope it does well, because I think, as Stephen King says, Don Robertson is a fantastic writer, and, unfortunately, relatively unknown...

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice collection, idlewarnings!

Yeah, I actually first found the info on the re-release of TGTSSB in a Harper Collins Childrens "Summer 2008 Domestic Rights Guide" document online (now all they have online is the Fall 2008 Guide) late last year, but, as you say, the title itself doesn't seem to appear on their site. Still, if you Google the ISBN 0061452963, many places list it! I've pre-ordered it through Amazon, and I hope it does well, because I think, as Stephen King says, Don Robertson is a fantastic writer, and, unfortunately, relatively unknown...
    Thanks, goheat.

The cover art for the new edition TGTSSB is online at [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Thing-Since-Sliced-Bread/dp/0061452963/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205288644&sr=8-1"]amazon[/ame]. There's a quote from King on the cover.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Oddly, I don't really think of myself as a collector of specific authors' works.... In fact, when I got the Stephen King books that I currently have, I thought, "Wow, my bookshelf now looks like the Stephen King section in a bookstore," and pondered (not seriously) the idea of starting a limited, informal library with all my books, CDs, DVDs, etc....

But I have sort of collected other authors too, now that I think about it--if by "collected" you mean that I have a significant number of books (say, four or more) by that author, and intended to have that many books by the same author, and have read and enjoyed them. With that definition, then, I'd say I've collected the following authors in chronological order (of the authors' births):

L. Frank Baum: I have all of his Oz books plus a collection of his short stories about Oz, and also his favorite of his books, Queen Zixi of Ix, or The Story of the Magic Cloak. Actually I'm not sure that counts, since all the Oz books are in a single series (and in a single volume)....

A. A. Milne: I have his two books of children's verse as well as both his Winnie-the-Pooh books.

J. R. R. Tolkien: I have The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, of course, but also The Silmarillion, The Tolkien Reader, and The Children of Hurin (just came out last year).

Dr. Seuss: What? He was an author too, and he was probably the first one (or one of the first) that I ever collected.

Kenneth Oppel: I have his Silverwing trilogy, plus its prequel Darkwing, and also the books Airborn and Skybreaker. Those are two separate series, so I think that's an exception to my "series count as single books" rule....

To a lesser extent I've looked at Roald Dahl and Richard Adams, but I don't think I'd call myself collectors of them....

And yet it wasn't until I started collecting Stephen King works that I really started thinking of myself as a "collector" of an author's works.... Weird....

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Nothing wrong with Dr. Seuss at all.
    A few months back a museum in the North Chicago suburbs had a show of original Dr. Seuss illustrations and I believe some sculptures.

I really regret missing that, but I didn't find out about it until just before the exhibition closed.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    A few months back a museum in the North Chicago suburbs had a show of original Dr. Seuss illustrations and I believe some sculptures.

I really regret missing that, but I didn't find out about it until just before the exhibition closed.
    Yeah, I know what you mean....

Speaking of Dr. Seuss, I have a book called Dr. Seuss Goes to War, which contains several political cartoons he drew for P. M. Magazine, propagandizing U. S. involvement in World War II. Kind of odd seeing his illustrations associated with such very adult themes....

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I tutor first grade reading in one of the local urban schools and when one of the kids picks a Dr. Seuss book, I'm not sure who enjoys it more, him or me!

John

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

first i heard was ideal genuine man and i bought it because it was signed by king

Country
    Country Flag

:coffee:

Thanks, goheat.

The cover art for the new edition TGTSSB is online at amazon. There's a quote from King on the cover.
    Excellent, thanks for the heads-up. The SK cover endorsement can only help!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oh I forgot to tell..
    so i am mainly collecting king, + bernard werber (anthologies, mags, 1st eds, signed book... and i own an ARC personnalised to me... :-) )
    one interesting thing about this author is that he usually draw some stuff :-)

and i also have a personnalised book by amelie nothomb, a belgian author (1st ed of my favourite book.. personnalised to me :-)

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post

I saw a showing of Dr. Seuss paintings in December, I think in Laguna Beach? (Can't remember, too many beaches in LA/Orange County) He was pretty darn good, I liked it a lot. If I had the money I would have purchased one, there were some affordable ones that were around a thousand.
    Geoff

Traveler Shoveler is on a distinguished road

I also collect quite a bit of Dean Koontz (and his 267 or so pen names!), F. Paul Wilson (there must be other Repairman Jack fans in this forum!), Robert R. McCammon, and Dan Simmons. Seeing all of the Dan Simmons collectors, is it safe to assume I'm not the only who got turned on to this author after getting Night Visions 5 because of the SK contributions to that book? I was hooked for life after reading Vanni Fucci, and have loved all of his work. As for starting points, if you enjoy SF at all, I'd definitely start with Hyperion. I'd alsao recommend going to the bookstore, picking up "Prayers to Broken Stones", and reading just the intros from Harlan Ellison and Dan Simmons, pretty funny stuff!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've enjoyed Dan Simmons ever since I read his first book, Song of Kali. It is truely a masterpiece.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
    I also collect quite a bit of Dean Koontz (and his 267 or so pen names!), F. Paul Wilson (there must be other Repairman Jack fans in this forum!), Robert R. McCammon, and Dan Simmons. Seeing all of the Dan Simmons collectors, is it safe to assume I'm not the only who got turned on to this author after getting Night Visions 5 because of the SK contributions to that book? I was hooked for life after reading Vanni Fucci, and have loved all of his work. As for starting points, if you enjoy SF at all, I'd definitely start with Hyperion. I'd alsao recommend going to the bookstore, picking up "Prayers to Broken Stones", and reading just the intros from Harlan Ellison and Dan Simmons, pretty funny stuff!
    Shoveler we collect virtually the same authors. I have extensive collections of Simmons, McCammon, Koontz and Wilson. It's uncanny that you listed those four.
    I also collect Peter Straub, King (of course), Ray Garton and, lastly, Anne Rice who I really don't read anymore.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I just love some of Simmons, and can't/don't want other stuff. The Sci-fi doesn't move me, and his latestand forthcoming seem slow and prodding.
    That being said, Song of Kali, Entropy's Bed at Midnight, Lovedeath, even the Joe Kurtz stuff were mindblowing.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

william styron and Wyndham, John...

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

I collect authors I love to READ, as I'm sure most do here:

-King
    -Neil Gaiman
    -Alan Moore
    -Dan Simmons
    -Tim Powers
    -Joe Lansdale
    -Ray Garton

Are the guys that I have to have EVERYTHING from (well, everything humanly possible on a blue collar budget!), but I also actively seek

-New Sherlock Holmes Editions, or Items
    -Tolkien
    -David J. Schow
    -Caitlin R. Kiernan (a truly fantastic writer, who is criminally under-read)

Ron

Country
    Country Flag

The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread has been the lone holdout from my Don Robertson collection for years. I guess I've been waiting for the right copy at the right price. Apparently, $42 is the right price. This is an ex-library copy with glue on the inside boards, stamps on the page ends, and a missing FFEP, but I'm still absolutely thrilled with it. It's tight and clean and square. Except for the faded spine the dustjacket is a peach. I keep taking it off the shelf to admire it. I can't believe I finally own this book.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations!
    I am not familiar with the title, but know Don Robertson has written some very interesting books-including 'The Ideal, Genuine Man.

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations on completing the collection!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast