Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 105 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2620

Thread: Other authors you collect

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Scoogs, I like the Frank Herbert book you picked up. I read The White Plague like 30 years ago. Frank Herbert is one of my fave authors of all time; he is a genius at Science Ficitno; I also like the collaborations between his son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson for all the Dune books they added to the Duniverse! I have all the collaboratinos in HB and signed by both authors. Of the first six dune books written by Frank I have 4, 5, and 6 as 1st Editions, and 1, 2 and 3 as later printings. A first edition Dune is worth a pretty penny.

Do you know the backstory on getting that book published? Well, Herbert shopped it around to all the publication hosues that touched sci fi at the time and they all were not willing to take a risk on a "big" book that diverged from the standard stock sci fi stories. Eventually Chilton Publishing took a chance and the rest is History. And who is Chilton - why they mostly published Car Repair manuals by Make & Model!
    I actually just finished a reread of the original 6 Dune novels earlier this year and read a few interviews at the time where him where he mentioned the car repair manuals!
    I have several of the BH/KJA novels that I've picked up at library sales, but haven't found the will to read them yet. (I have a very strong dislike of KJA from some of his previous work.)

One of my high school English teachers was a huge Dune fan and was the main reason that I picked up the books a few years later.

I only have the first three in various paperbacks, but I do have the signed/limited first editions of 4, 5 and 6.
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    [QUOTE (almost all my old books, magazines, etc. were destroyed in a flooded basement a number of years ago.)

John
    Now THAT'S a horror story!
    My wife and I were vacationing in Hawaii. The remnants of a hurricane hit our area. We live on a slight slope and the rainwater came down so heavily that it floated some of our landscape timbers, one of which crashed through a basement window. We ended up with more than 8" of water in the basement. We didn't find out until we got home a week later. I had between 30,000 and 50,000 books, magazines, paperbacks and other items stored down there, which I had collected since about 1961. I lost about 80% of the collection.

John[/QUOTE]
    Wow, that was some collection. What a shame it was mostly destroyed... how did it work out with your insurance?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Because they determined it was flood damage and I didn't have a flood policy they refused to cover any of the damage.

John

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Scoogs,

From what I gather Dune (original) fans either love or hate the followon novels by Brian Herbert and KJA. Personally I love them. I've been to a couple of their signings / talks. It is interesting to see how they collaborate. They outline every book and then split up chapters, KJA gets the more SciFi, galactic war type scenes, while Brian follows more in the vein of Frank with the philosophic, government, thought provocative type chapters.

I just finished a re-listen of the original 6 and am currently listening to Hunters of Dune - this would be book 7 in the series and will be following with Sandworms of Dune, book 8 (final). All the rest that are published by Brian Herbert and KJA are earlier in timeline all the way back to the Butlerian Jihad.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Because they determined it was flood damage and I didn't have a flood policy they refused to cover any of the damage.

John
    fuck....
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Scoogs,

From what I gather Dune (original) fans either love or hate the followon novels by Brian Herbert and KJA. Personally I love them. I've been to a couple of their signings / talks. It is interesting to see how they collaborate. They outline every book and then split up chapters, KJA gets the more SciFi, galactic war type scenes, while Brian follows more in the vein of Frank with the philosophic, government, thought provocative type chapters.

I just finished a re-listen of the original 6 and am currently listening to Hunters of Dune - this would be book 7 in the series and will be following with Sandworms of Dune, book 8 (final). All the rest that are published by Brian Herbert and KJA are earlier in timeline all the way back to the Butlerian Jihad.
    You aren't kidding about the split over the newer novels. Some of the online reviews are their own form of entertainment.
    I do have Hunters and Sandworms in my pile of unread books, but decided not to start them yet after reading a synopsis of both online.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed 5 and 6 this time around. I didn't care for 4-6 much the first time through.
    God Emperor is still my least favorite, but even that one was better the second time through.

I have several other Frank Herbert books that I picked up at a library sale that are waiting to be read. Some of those may be my next reads after A Song of Ice and Fire.
    Mark Twain

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    Ouch, that had to hurt.
    Mark Twain

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I lucked out on a saved search through Abebooks recently and added received this today.

When the SFBC was celebrating their 50th anniversary a few years ago, they made a limited edition, leather-bound version of Dune. It was only available to members and despite not really being much to look at, remains highly sought after.

I've been looking for this one for a while, but they rarely show up for sale and usually cost a few hundred when they do. I snagged this one for $40.

Mark Twain

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I like that DUNE. Makes me want to re-read it.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Other Authors I collect...Robert McCammon, Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, Kealan Patrick Burke, Edward Lee, Jack Ketchum, Hugh Howey and Jeff Lindsay along with several strays of others, that copy of DUNE is quite nice looking, perhaps it's time I read it

Along the Path of the Beam deanhoadley is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone collect Frederick Forsyth at all? Been recently given a signed 1st of The Day of The Jackal from 1971

Country
    Country Flag

Angel time, by Anne Rice, will become a serie for CBS

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by deanhoadley View Post
    Does anyone collect Frederick Forsyth at all? Been recently given a signed 1st of The Day of The Jackal from 1971
    Nice! Is the the UK first?

I just noticed you are in the UK so it probably is.

Along the Path of the Beam deanhoadley is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah thats right, I was very excited to get it!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Nice! Is the the UK first?

I just noticed you are in the UK so it probably is.
    Yeah thats right, I was very excited to get it!
    Congrats! I'd love to see a couple photos of that book.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

TOM CLANCY has died. Here is a link:
    http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat...as-died_b78579

Country
    Country Flag

Any Douglas Kennedy fans here?
    I havent read anything from him, but i just found out that on the 8th he will be doing a signing at, literally, next door to my work on the Champs Elysées.

Country
    Country Flag

Heard that Max Brooks will be in Paris next monday for a free signing in a geeky bar

Country
    Country Flag

As well as Orson Scott Card who does a signing in Paris on monday. I will try to go there, but cant promise as it's supposed to be earlyish in the evening... :-/

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Speaking of Card, who I used to collect; I just saw ENDER'S GAME today and enjoyed it very much. I hope it accelerates the price of my VF first edition to the stars! Just kidding of course (NOT). It's just a book! (right)
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of Card, who I used to collect; I just saw ENDER'S GAME today and enjoyed it very much. I hope it accelerates the price of my VF first edition to the stars! Just kidding of course (NOT). It's just a book! (right)
    The Washington Post gave it a very good review this weekend. 3.5 out of 4 stars. Said it was not only entertaining, but thought-provoking and poignant as well.

Question: If I want to read the book, is it just one book? Or am I setting myself up for a bunch of sequels a la Dune.

I thought the first two, ENDER'S GAME and SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD, were absolutely great. But, to be honest, I hated every other book I read in the series. That's one of the reasons I stopped reading Card's books. I read the next five Ender-Bean books, could hardly get through any of them.

On a better note, I absolutely LOVED his Alvin Maker series, every book a real gem.

Weird, but true!

Gunslinger Apprentice Booknutt is on a distinguished road Booknutt's Avatar

Having only read Ender's Game, even though it's a series, I thought it was pretty self contained and could be read by itself.

Country
    Country Flag

I bought 2 copies of ENDER'S GAME, and got them signed by the author. I'll be giving a copy away to a friend of mine.
    I must admit that i was a bit surprised. I discovered about this signing, by pure accident a few days ago. The signing was starting at 6pm, I arrived at 7pm... and there was a woman in front of me... and a guy that arrived just after me.
    First time that I saw a signing that quiet. Dunno if it's because I arrived "late" or not. Although I dont think that there was a lot of communication about it. Even in the store (a chain store), there was posters for another upcoming event : a discussion between 2 experts about Tolkien. But nothing about OSC. :s

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought the first two, ENDER'S GAME and SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD, were absolutely great. But, to be honest, I hated every other book I read in the series. That's one of the reasons I stopped reading Card's books. I read the next five Ender-Bean books, could hardly get through any of them.
    I agree about Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. I thought the next two were not bad, but after reading a couple of the Ender-Bean books, I gave up on them completely.

I met Card at a booksigning in 1989 and had him sign my SFBC edition of Ender's War, which was an omnibus edition of the first two books. He told me then that he'd never write a third book. ;-)

On a better note, I absolutely LOVED his Alvin Maker series, every book a real gem.
    I couldn't get into those or any other Card books. I gave up trying many moons ago.

Hunter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 105 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast