Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 2620

Thread: Other authors you collect

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I miss Tom Piccirilli. I keep checking everywhere for a lost story but I think I'll have to be grateful for the books he has given us.

I have no regrets about selling off the most of my King collection, but I will never forgive myself for selling the signed Last Kind Words. We exchanged a few words on the defunct Horror Drive-In forum and a week later I received the book.
    Get yourself a gift of inscribed Nathan Ballingrud. He's neck to neck with Fracassi* for the most exciting new(ish) voice in horror.
    https://www.malaprops.com/preorder-m...han-ballingrud

I got in while the going was good and ordered two inscribed books directly from Mr. Fracassi. Seemed like a nice guy and he even posted the books the very next day.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly about Tom Piccrilli, and my LAST KIND WORDS, which I fortunately still have, is similarly inscribed by Pic.

R.e. Ballingrud's THE STRANGE, I'm reading that right now -- about halfway through as of today -- and it's a great book. The protagonists are thus far a little hard to like and thus sympathies to their plight is a bit slighted, but I kind of suspect that'll change as the book goes on and, even if not, the setting, the story, the prose alone make this book very entertaining. Midworld Press is doing a signed/limited Ballingrud -- announcing Monday, 5/15 -- and rumor is that it will be THE STRANGE (but time will tell).

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the tip about Midworld. I'm not too familiar with them, but a quick search showed nice editions that they seem to deliver in a timely manner.

I received the shipping notice for the Ballingrud package. I'll read The Strange first and then decide on the S/L. Lately I've been feeling pretty content with inscribed first editions but that is definitely not a firm rule.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Gene Wolfe books aren't a fast seller but once they sell out at the publisher, they go up in value. It's a really strange phenomenon. It's almost as if people are waiting for the book to show up on eBay at a cheaper price. Spoiler alert: they don't. See here:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...te=1&LH_Sold=1

It's still available at Camelot at the $50 issue price
    https://camelotbooks.com/the-dead-ma...r-stories.html

Wolfe's stories tend to be challenging reads but they're also really fun.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Gene Wolfe books aren't a fast seller but once they sell out at the publisher, they go up in value. It's a really strange phenomenon. It's almost as if people are waiting for the book to show up on eBay at a cheaper price. Spoiler alert: they don't. See here:

That is interesting...I always shop around before settling on the eBay option, but I guess for some eBay is the default source. I picked up this collection from Sub Press...it'll be my first Gene Wolfe, and I'm looking forward to discovering what the acclaim is all about.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post

That is interesting...I always shop around before settling on the eBay option, but I guess for some eBay is the default source. I picked up this collection from Sub Press...it'll be my first Gene Wolfe, and I'm looking forward to discovering what the acclaim is all about.
    Same. I'll check with the usual suspects followed by an email inquiring about a possible restock/delayed shipment before turning to eBay.

There are at this moment three auctions with bids ($74, $80, $90). It's still available at Camelot for $50.

Over the years of posting (mostly lurking) one gets to know what others like, and I think if there were a single Wolfe book you might like, this is the one. I'm not sure if you've read Deathbird Stories. This isn't too different.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

DEATHBIRD STORIES is a collection by Harlan Ellison (unless, of course, that IS what you were comparing Wolfe to!)

Gene Wolfe wrote 'The Death of Doctor Island'

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Correct on all points!

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah, all of Doctor Island stories are collected in one book called The Wolfe Archipelago.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I've only read ONE story by Mr. Wolfe I liked, and it just might have been 'The Death of Doctor Island', possibly because I liked the word play. But as I've stated before, his stuff is not for simple-minded me.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Wordplay? Say no more:
    https://www.wolfewiki.com/pmwiki/pmw...lfeArchipelago

+
    The story titled "The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories" was collected in "The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories."

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Not sure if this is news to anyone here, but I've read that Folio Society will publish an edition of Cormac McCarthy's No Country For Old Men next month (October).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Any Dan Brown's fans here?

I have a spare copy one of his early book.
    It took me like 2 years to actually find this book, a lot of websites/sellers said they had copies, but never sent the right books or cancelled orders in the end... but I have the actual book in hands 🙂

------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

TFS has unveiled their Christmas collection : https://www.foliosociety.com/row/new
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I've only read ONE story by Mr. Wolfe I liked, and it just might But as I've stated before, his stuff is not for simple-minded me.
    I'm slowly making my way through The Wolfe at the Door. Two out of four stories were not just easy to understand, they were unputdownable. One of them was Memorare, previously published in the April 2007 issue of F&SF magazine.

Here are some free Wolfe stories available online:
    https://www.freesfonline.net/authors/Gene_Wolfe.html

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone still collecting Anne Rice?
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Anyone know any Edward Lee collectors?

Country
    Country Flag

Nathan Ballingrud has a new book coming out in August:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Crypt-Moon-Spi...s%2C653&sr=8-4

Country
    Country Flag

https://bookandfilmglobe.com/film/do...edward-wagner/

A documentary on Karl Edward Wagner.

Gunslinger Apprentice BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about BadHatHarry has a spectacular aura about

Anyone know why the Sub Press preorder for Gardens of the Moon (Erikson) was postponed?

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I’m guessing they got feedback from prior owners. They’re no longer using gilded edges in the reprint (3rd) and that will be same plan moving forward w book 3. So people wanted matching sets - and only first 2 (of second prints) would have those edges. So Bills rethinking the whole role out. Seems like he might offer a window for previous owners…
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105