Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 105 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Here is where I am so far:

The Throat

The Boat (?)

The Sunken Moat (?)

The Unfed Stoat (?)

The Leaning Pillar (?)

The Unhinged Door

The Broken Window

The Unclaimed Gem (?)

The Wandering Threat (?)

The Overdone Roast

The Bilious Guest (?)

and more

The book is an association copy and I think that some of the lines must have personal meaning but I'd still like to figure them out for documentation purposes.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The leaning/lonely? pillar after unfed stoat, maybe?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    The leaning/lonely? pillar after unfed stoat, maybe?
    Could be! I'll stick it in there for now and see what happens.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

The Throat

The Boat (?)
    The Book
    The Sunken Moat (?)
    Yes

The Unfed Stoat (?)
    Yes

The Leaning Pillar (?)
    Yes
    The Unhinged Door

The Broken Window

The Unclaimed Gem (?)
    Yes

The Wandering Threat (?)
    Yes
    The Overdone Roast

The Bilious Guest (?)
    Yes-
    of or indicative of a peevish ill-natured disposition
    and more

The book is an association copy and I think that some of the lines must have personal meaning but I'd still like to figure them out for documentation purposes.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    A local bookstore here, Water Street Books, is selling Dan Brown signed (non-limited) Lost Symbols...he's not doing a signing or personalization, but they're available for purchase.

www.waterstreetbooks.com
    (Pulling this forward for the Dan Brown fans so it doesn't get lost.)

The Throat

The Boat (?)

The Sunken Moat (?)

The Unfed Stoat (?)

The Leaning Pillar (?)

The Unhinged Door

The Broken Window

The Unclaimed Gem (?)

The Wandering Threat (?)

The Overdone Roast

The Bilious Guest (?)

and more

Bob, that is exactly how I read it.

Jerome may be correct that the one line reads "The Book," but that would throw off the rhythm of the inscription. I'm sticking with "The Boat."

Bob, have you read the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Bob, that is exactly how I read it.

Jerome may be correct that the one line reads "The Book," but that would throw off the rhythm of the inscription. I'm sticking with "The Boat."

Bob, have you read the book?
    I thought "book" when I first read it but, as you say, it doesn't rhyme so I changed it to "boat." I think "book" makes more sense but who knows?

I could send it to Peter and ask him but I hate to do that since it is an association copy.

Yes, I have read the book! Three times! It is the best mystery/thriller story I have ever read.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

I met Wally, he is a wonderful guy...I have all his books with awesome remarks...heres one you might find cool....

ARC of the first book, and yes, way before Oprah found him...

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    another little stoy for you:

I am a big Wally Lamb fan. He wrote "She's Come Undone" and "I Know This Much Is True" (one of my favorite books) and his most recent book "The Hour I First Believed."

He was huge with Oprah a few years back and has made a bit of a name for himself. I personally love his work - a lot.

A few years back I bought an inscribed first printing of "She's Come Undone." It was made out to a friend of the author based on the inscription. Well when I got the book in the mail, there was a folded letter in the back of the book. It was a letter from the author to this woman. Based on the letter, they were friends for several years.

Anyway, here is the letter. The paper is VERY frail and you can see it was dated in 1980 - long before Lamb even wrote a book. This is something very valuable to me, though on the market I am sure would be worth close to nothing. Just wanted to share

Attached Images

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob,
    I saw book, because there was no cross of the t at the end.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Darkman - VERY NICE! I love inscriptions like that.

(I'm so excited that someone else here likes Lamb!!!!)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Jerome may still be right about "book" vs. "boat." Bob, one reason I asked if you read the book was to see if there were items in the story from the inscription - a boat, etc. Thought the story itself might provide some clues.

Very cool, Darkman.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Jerome may still be right about "book" vs. "boat." Bob, one reason I asked if you read the book was to see if there were items in the story from the inscription - a boat, etc. Thought the story itself might provide some clues.
    It's been a couple of years since I last read THE THROAT and to the best of my knowledge the lines of the poem do not reference things in the book. I think they are probably familiar to the signer and signee from personal interaction.

I think "book" is right and I'm going to go with that.

Thanks to all who helped me with this!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quoting this to bring it over from the last page. I'm tired of toggling between pages.

I'd like a little help here deciphering Peter Straub's handwriting. This is the inscription on an advanced copy of Straub's THE THROAT. I can make out most of it but am having trouble with a few lines. I'm usually pretty good with Peter's handwriting but am stumped in a couple of places. Here are two photos, one with flash and the other without. Not sure which will be easiest to read.
    Thanks.

Upon further inspection, I agree with Jerome that the second line is "The book." The last letter looks more like all his "k"'s that it does his "t"'s.

Traveler tattoodgrl is on a distinguished road

Nevada Barr
    Anne Rice
    Charlaine Harris
    any tattoo books
    some Koontz, although i got id of a lot when i moved.
    Sylvia Brown
    True Crime in general
    Ancient Egypt books ......... and just misc.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

So picked this up today...at least I got ONE limited edition, if not an SK edition...haha...

This limited edition to the book store itself is absolutely unprecendented...I can't imagine a classier move by an author. Basically a $29,000 free check to the bookstore (in addition to the flatsigned first editions he is also signing for them).

The bookseller was all defensive when I asked him how many he sold - like it matters, I was just making small talk - but he was effusive in his praise for Brown. Basically said he didn't know what to say when Brown showed him the limited edition page.

It's pretty neat, signed in silver ink. They are trying VERY hard to only sell one per person, so they're not taking phone orders or reservations. You have to show up and buy a copy in person - and they make it clear they'll remember you if you try and buy two! But they're happy to sell extra flatsigned first editions, just not multiple special editions.
    Attached Images

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

<-----------------------Could care less about Dan Brown and his signature (just me).

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Uh...okay...not really sure what a post proclaiming apathy adds to the discussion, but it's a free country...

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

That's cool, Rahfa!

Is that the bookstore up in NH? I think Dan Brown lives near there. Cool of him to do a signing for them. Keeping it local and all.

I lucked out on a limited edition Lost Symbol from VJ Books. I hope to have it in hand soon. Only cost me $70 and comes with a slipcase. I figured... what the heck!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story, Rahfa. What a generous act on his part.

Congrats to you, and to Pam, too.

<--- Has never read Dan Brown.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

So picked this up today...at least I got ONE limited edition, if not an SK edition...haha...

This limited edition to the book store itself is absolutely unprecendented...I can't imagine a classier move by an author. Basically a $29,000 free check to the bookstore (in addition to the flatsigned first editions he is also signing for them).

The bookseller was all defensive when I asked him how many he sold - like it matters, I was just making small talk - but he was effusive in his praise for Brown. Basically said he didn't know what to say when Brown showed him the limited edition page.

It's pretty neat, signed in silver ink. They are trying VERY hard to only sell one per person, so they're not taking phone orders or reservations. You have to show up and buy a copy in person - and they make it clear they'll remember you if you try and buy two! But they're happy to sell extra flatsigned first editions, just not multiple special editions.
    FUCKING PISSED that he wont ship the limited editions. Pick up only.

They will sell signed trade editions though.

Hey, Kenny, like I'm crying you a river - you live in NYC where everybody signs! God forbid we hillbillys get cut a break! Haha...

My father's going to get a copy for himself - I told him to not say I told him to, because they might not sell it to him! Haha...

Yes, the bookstore is in his NH hometown. He used to teach in Exeter, and I guess he used to work right above the bookstore, and the owner really pushed his first couple (non-selling) books, and tried hard to help him as a local author. So when the roles were reversed, Brown's giving back....Like I said, I think it's unprecendented in the world of authors. SK has helped plenty of local bookstores, of course, just not quite like this...

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for the head's up.
    I was able to order a signed copy through the books website.
    Wish I could have been there for the 'limited edition'.
    but a signed copy is on the way for me and one for my bride,
    so again...

THANK YOU !!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Uh...okay...not really sure what a post proclaiming apathy adds to the discussion, but it's a free country...
    It just means I myself am not enthused about the whole Dan Brown hype. It wasn't intended to infer that others who are enthused are mistaken/wrong about their enjoyment.
    If we can't have even a modicum of difference of opinion about "Other authors you collect" or even opinions regarding King, this will quickly become a stale thread, and board.

If you had said "Dan Brown is an overpaid, tired hack of a writer who doesn't deserve 1 percent of his success, and only a sap would buy his books," THAT is a difference of opinion (although I don't think he's an especially great writer).

Just saying "I could care less about Dan Brown" is a boring statement of apathy that seems undeserving of the time it took you to type it, and the space it takes up on the message board, that's all I'm saying. If you don't like Dan Brown, fine, but have an opinion.

To add to what Dolan said below - his first two books are t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e, but Angels and DaVinci code were good and enteratining, not great but okay. I didn't even think DaVinci was that controversial.

I see what you are saying Randall.

I once thought Dan Brown was an overpaid, tired hack but at that point I hadn't read any of the books. Since then, I have and they are, to me, great for what they are - a good thrill.

Controversial, sure. But take I take it as it is.

I sure was at B&N this morning buying a copy. 1/2 through and enjoying it...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you had said "Dan Brown is an overpaid, tired hack of a writer who doesn't deserve 1 percent of his success, and only a sap would buy his books," THAT is a difference of opinion (although I don't think he's an especially great writer).
    I didn't say that. Please don't quote me as to what I should have said.

Quote Originally Posted by rahfa
    Just saying "I could care less about Dan Brown" is a boring statement of apathy that seems undeserving of the time it took you to type it,
    My time and keyboard. You can choose to disregard my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa
    (rahfa quoting Dolan) ....his first two books are t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e, but Angels and DaVinci code were good and enteratining, not great but okay. I didn't even think DaVinci was that controversial.
    Opinions, we all have them. I never said others were wrong in their fervor, just that I felt no such passion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 105 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast