Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 105 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 2620

Thread: Other authors you collect

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I had no idea there was a TV show of the Tripod books.
    There was actually a fourth book published in the late '80s or early '90s called When the Tripods Came.
    Mark Twain

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Nice, that's the version that I have.
    I think I have an old hardcover of one of the 5 in my closet somewhere too.

The movie was one of Tim Burton's earliest projects at Disney, back when he was just an animator.

I was looking last night, and there's a 50th anniversary hardcover set currently in progress. The Book of Three came out last fall and The Black Cauldron was just released.
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I'm enjoying it. For now I'm just collecting McGinnis covers. I have no real hope of ever having a complete collection of those, but I'm just enjoying collecting them.
    Robert McGinnis is my all-time favorite paperback illustrator. An absolute master! He's apparently done over 1,000 covers in his time, and like Herman Wouk he's still alive (and working)! Here are some of my favorites of his from my paperback collection...

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that's very cool. I have a book called The Paperback Covers of Robert McGinnis by Art Scott. According to the book, there are 1068 covers, and 1432 if you include reprints. I met Art earlier this year at a vintage paperback show. He has a complete collection himself, which is pretty amazing. It's quite something that Robert is still at it. I think he is 89 or 90 now. Some of my favorite covers are the ones on the Carter Brown books. I've only just started collecting these and have 8 so far! A long way to go, but I really enjoy it. Here's two recent ones I just received.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jim, do you have the recent Art of Robert E. McGinnis book (I know you do, Paul )?
    The Art of Robert E. McGinnis
    Highly recommended if you don't, and at only $75 for the signed limited a real bargain to boot!
    Also, how do you guys feel about James Bama? Man, I love those Doc Savage covers that he did...

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    Jim, do you have the recent Art of Robert E. McGinnis book (I know you do, Paul )?
    Highly recommended if you don't, and at only $75 for the signed limited a real bargain to boot!
    Also, how do you guys feel about James Bama? Man, I love those Doc Savage covers that he did...
    Yeah that's a great book. I have the signed limited and the regular trade edition. I haven't heard of Bama. Will have to investigate, but I know the Doc Savage books.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Content removed due to me being a complete idiot.
    Last edited by Dan; 12-22-2015 at 05:50 PM. Reason: To be a little more compassionate

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Without getting into it, yes, those were the last books he signed before his passing.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Without getting into it, yes, those were the last books he signed before his passing.
    Thanks! I edited my post to be less of an asshole. I had forgotten he passed.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great covers, zeling! Fawcett Gold Medals and Dell First Editions are my very favorite paperback publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    Yeah that's a great book. I have the signed limited and the regular trade edition. I haven't heard of Bama. Will have to investigate, but I know the Doc Savage books.
    No, I don't have either of those books (or any books about RM or his art for that matter). I would sure love to have them! A little out of my price range though. I'm a gutter collector. I generally don't pay more than $3-$10 for hardcovers (paperbacks $1-$3), unless it's the new King book. So needless to say, I don't have many limited editions in my collection. It could potentially be a birthday or anniversary present, but my wife would really give me the "evil eye" (in a lighthearted way) for a book like that. She already gives me that look when she sees me looking at a McGinnis-cover book. But a whole book of McGinnis art!? I might be sleeping on the couch for days!

James Bama - I've seen some of his Doc Savage covers, but not much. I know he's done a lot of Western art. Sadly, I don't have many Westerns in my collection.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

James Bama covers

Just 2 of his 62 Doc Savage covers.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

1st Edition OCT 1964

9th Printing 1975

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I edited my post to be less of an asshole.
    Does that work?

I've edited my posts before, and I'm still an asshole.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I edited my post to be less of an asshole.
    Does that work?

I've edited my posts before, and I'm still an asshole.
    My friends say no.

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post
    p.s. I just remembered a book that I thought was just an all around great read that gets a lot of bad press these days and is called Battlefield Earth. Actually, I take that back as I find myself qualifying my words as I type and I shouldn't...I REALLY liked it. I remember reading it more than once and it's over 800 pages if memory serves. Feel how you want about the movie, the author's "religion" of Scientology (I am NOT for or against it) or anything else ancillary but related to the book, but I don't see how anyone who likes a good story and science fiction especially wouldn't like that book. Maybe in my youth it was better than it would be today...shrug.
    I loved Battlefield Earth, too. I was 23 when I first read it. I had never read much SF---it never really interested me---and my co-workers urged me to read Battlefield Earth. I loved it thoroughly. I, too, had no idea about L. Ron Hubbard or Scientology at the time, I just enjoyed the roller coaster ride of a novel that was the most interesting SF novel I'd ever read at that time. I read it a second time about ten years later (almost twenty years ago now) and had a blast with it again.

I never saw all of the movie, but what I did see was dreadful and way off the mark set by the novel.

Hunter

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gauntlet Press started taking pre-orders for two Matheson related titles

The Gauntlet Chapbooks of Richard Matheson

BEARDLESS WARRIORS AND BROTHERS IN ARMS
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Gauntlet Press started taking pre-orders for two Matheson related titles

The Gauntlet Chapbooks of Richard Matheson

BEARDLESS WARRIORS AND BROTHERS IN ARMS
    Beardless Warriors preorder has been around a while, I ordered the chapbooks even though I have all of them. His new site is better than the old one but finding the checkout button wasn't easy. FYI - it appears the only way to find it is to add something to your cart and click check out. If you continue browsing you can't find the checkout button. At least I couldn't.

Country
    Country Flag

I noticed this copy of Dracula on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151934728296 What I don't understand is why someone would have asked for the inscription. Opinions? Not that I was in the market, but the old and new inscriptions ruined the book in my opinion.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I noticed this copy of Dracula on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151934728296 What I don't understand is why someone would have asked for the inscription. Opinions? Not that I was in the market, but the old and new inscriptions ruined the book in my opinion.
    I tried to look at it but could not get past the ginormous block of text as the description.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    I tried to look at it but could not get past the ginormous block of text as the description.
    The last line of the description states: "This is a NO RESERVE AUCTION, so the first bid could actually take it!"

I should hope so since it isn't an auction but a fixed price listing.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    The last line of the description states: "This is a NO RESERVE AUCTION, so the first bid could actually take it!"

I should hope so since it isn't an auction but a fixed price listing.
    Yup just tried to read through it again and it's like the ramblings of someone going insane... this was like line 2
    "ALL ORIGINAL, AND THE FIRST BID IS...$575.00 BUCKS--AND THERE STILL IS NOT A FIRST BID?! Man, I never thought I would have ever lived to see this moment...MAN ALIVE! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!"

Country
    Country Flag

I never even tried to read it. I couldn't get past the photos of the damage he did by having it signed by an actor.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't believe I got this off eBay for $25...

It's like new as described

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post

Nice! You inspired me and I went out and found one for $25!

I got this for $25 too very recently.

His very 1st book!

edit:....oops!...later posts tell me this is his 3rd book.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post

Nice! You inspired me and I went out and found one for $25!

I got this for $25 too very recently.

His very 1st book!
    SWEET !!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 105 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 ... LastLast