Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 105 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2620

Thread: Other authors you collect

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Edward Gorey's Dracula A Toy Theatre 1st Edition 1979

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Nice one and really big, isn't it? Have you cut out all the sets and characters and assembled "your own production of Dracula" yet?

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Lettered Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice

Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Becca!

John

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Nice one and really big, isn't it? Have you cut out all the sets and characters and assembled "your own production of Dracula" yet?
    It's 10" X 15"

No it has not been cut up...I just store it next to this.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bruce do you have a Photo shooting area set up at all times?

24/7

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's nice to know that compared to you guys, I'm not really all that nuts!

P.S. Bruce--love the Dracula stuff!

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha that just made my day!

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

My turn.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of my favorite pulp novelists... Basil Heatter. He's long forgotten in most circles, but he wrote some rip-roaring yarns in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I pick his books up whenever I can. Virgin Cay is my favorite. The Scarred Man scarred me for life!

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice! They don't make cool covers like they used to...
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Nice! They don't make cool covers like they used to...
    Haha, I was just about to say the same!
    Congrats, Jim!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Other authors you collect

Very nice. Congrats. I just started collecting vintage paperbacks a few months ago.

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Looking at one of my other bookshelves with paperbacks I see 1st/1st paperbacks of complete Gor, Xanth, Blue Adept, Incarnations of Immortality, The Chronicles of Prydain, Chronicles of Amber, The Tripods (White Mtns is first book), Asimov Robots of Dawn series, Wrinkle in Time set, Gaea Trilogy (Titan, Wizard, etc..), Foundation Series, Bio of a Space Tyrant series, and sets from when I was a kid. Also have many Ray Bradbury and Edgar Rice Burroughs like complete 1st/1st set of Tarzan paperbacks and The Dragon and the George series. Every Ayn Rand paperback. I think I've filled in most all that I was missing by now of any childhood books.

Other hardbacks would be Thomas Covenant series, Fountainhead, David Eddings, Clive Barker, McCammon. Some are signed...NOT the Fountainhead sadly.

Something about seeing the paperback books that filled my childhood like a constant friend taking me away from the mundanity of life as a child relaxes me. I remember in the winters sitting on the floor on the heat register and having to bounce and move around at times b/c I would get soooo hot while laser focused on every word. I literally remember leaning one way and rubbing an a$$ cheek b/c it was burning and then the other side without stopping my eyes scanning the pages.

King, Koontz, John Norman, Piers Anthony, Edgar Rice Burroughs and others were more of a father to me than my real father or stepfather. Nothing bad against either "real" father, but we had little in common and it was easier to leave me alone reading than get me started. hahaha!

Paperback books will always have a large place in my heart and my life and that is 10x more true for them than the hardbacks I collect now. EReaders are great and the world is reading more than ever, but give me that paperback and that "hot seat" any time and it will be like coming home from a long journey.

p.s. I just remembered a book that I thought was just an all around great read that gets a lot of bad press these days and is called Battlefield Earth. Actually, I take that back as I find myself qualifying my words as I type and I shouldn't...I REALLY liked it. I remember reading it more than once and it's over 800 pages if memory serves. Feel how you want about the movie, the author's "religion" of Scientology (I am NOT for or against it) or anything else ancillary but related to the book, but I don't see how anyone who likes a good story and science fiction especially wouldn't like that book. Maybe in my youth it was better than it would be today...shrug.

If you haven't heard of the book or seen the movie, then PLEASE do NOT watch the movie first for the love of all that is holy. No reason to minimize the book by knowing the plot if you don't need to.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post

p.s. I just remembered a book that I thought was just an all around great read that gets a lot of bad press these days and is called Battlefield Earth. Actually, I take that back as I find myself qualifying my words as I type and I shouldn't...I REALLY liked it. I remember reading it more than once and it's over 800 pages if memory serves. Feel how you want about the movie, the author's "religion" of Scientology (I am NOT for or against it) or anything else ancillary but related to the book, but I don't see how anyone who likes a good story and science fiction especially wouldn't like that book. Maybe in my youth it was better than it would be today...shrug.

If you haven't heard of the book or seen the movie, then PLEASE do NOT watch the movie first for the love of all that is holy. No reason to minimize the book by knowing the plot if you don't need to.
    I really feel like Battlefield Earth was best experienced by teenaged boys. I also read the book and loved it. Way before I learned about any of the "religion" connected to its author. Hell I even plowed through the 10 book Mission Earth series just to see if it would be as epic and good as Battlefield Earth (it wasn't). Bought em from the Science Fiction Book Club, lol.

Although a spiritual fellow who was raised in the Christian church, I am pretty much anti organized religion and definitely anti Scientology or any belief system that attempts to fleece its congregation out of money and freedom. I remember getting my hand on a copy of Dianetics, just because it had Hubbard's name on it, and trying to read it. I was like, what the hell is this? and never read more than a few paragraphs.

I have never seen the film, mostly out of the loyalty to my experience as a 13 or 14 yr old reading Battlefield Earth. I loved it and reccomended it to others.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

1st Edition paperback.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Jim, I collect vintage pbos but have never heard of Basil Heatter...what can you tell me about him, and why would you reccomend him?

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey guys, thanks for the kind comments!

RC65, I don't know much about the guy to tell you the truth. There is virtually nothing written about him on the Net. I know his father was the WWII newsman Gabriel Heatter and that's about it, really. Boats and the sea featured in many of his stories, so he must have had some kind of maritime background. As a writer, I find him to be quite talented. He stands above of the pack of most paperback pulp writers of his era (much of which is very formulaic and predicable). He wrote unique stories with realistic, believable characters (although some stories are of less quality than others -- he was a little uneven). Like King (although not as good as King), he was just a great storyteller. He reminds me a lot of Charles Williams and 50's-era John D. MacDonald, although not quite as good (but close). It's a damn shame that he is all but forgotten today. He actually had some hardback releases in his day (I believe The Captain's Lady was his first), but most of his stuff was paperback originals (most Fawcett Gold Medals). I sort of stumbled upon him by accident a few years ago. I buy the vast majority of my stuff in the wild from used book stores and book sales. I'm still hunting for one of his most famous Gold Medals - Harry and the Bikini Bandits - which features a great cover of a guy sitting on a box of dynamite surrounded by bikini-clad women armed with assault rifles and spear guns!

zelig, that's awesome that you are starting to collect vintage paperbacks! It's a really rewarding collectible -- low prices, becoming increasingly rare, great covers! Some of my other lesser-known paperback authors that I like to collect are: Jack Ehrlich, Charles Runyon, Richard Jessup, James McKimmey and William Ard.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm enjoying it. For now I'm just collecting McGinnis covers. I have no real hope of ever having a complete collection of those, but I'm just enjoying collecting them.

Jim, thanks...I'll keep an eye out for him. and give him a shot.

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

Love the vintage paperback art.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post
    Looking at one of my other bookshelves with paperbacks I see 1st/1st paperbacks of complete Gor, Xanth, Blue Adept, Incarnations of Immortality, The Chronicles of Prydain, Chronicles of Amber, The Tripods (White Mtns is first book), Asimov Robots of Dawn series, Wrinkle in Time set, Gaea Trilogy (Titan, Wizard, etc..), Foundation Series, Bio of a Space Tyrant series, and sets from when I was a kid.
    I loved the Tripod books and the Chronicles of Prydain as a kid, even saw Disney's version of The Black Cauldron in the theater.
    Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising sequence was my #1 favorite though.
    Mark Twain

1984 BBC TV SERIES

+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 105 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 ... LastLast