Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 105 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Other authors you collect

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for that link, Geoff. I love Vonnegut but have no collectible-level books of his.

Dolan, good choice with McCarthy - what a great author!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been really getting into McCarthy lately, too. I'm reading Suttree right now. I think his style is fantastic...pages and pages of meaty description, minimal dialogue, bleak and hilarious at the same. There's probably one or two words on every page I've never seen before. His command of vocabulary is astounding. I think I'm going to start the Border triology next.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

The way McCarthy describes things is truly vivid. His word choice is impeccable. I mean, The Road which I would describe as fairly basic in style was everything but basic. It was entirely descriptive while remaining incredibly small on word count. For those who have read it - you know what I am talking about.

For those who haven't - you don't know what you are missing!

But McCarthy as a collectible author is very hard. Very hard. Because there is no "CormacMcCarthyfans.com." He is such a reclusive author - even now. And it makes it harder because I have ZERO confidence in his signature - so other than SL editions, I have no idea what is real and what isn't.

Ah well - this is all about the hunt now isn't it?

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i collect:

simon r. green -- nightside series
    jasper fforde -- thursday next series (my first four novels are signed!!)
    f. paul wilson -- repairman jack series (i would kill for something signed by f. paul wilson!)
    douglas preston & lincoln child -- agent pendergast series (started out with the relic and i don't think pendergast was supposed to become a main character but wow is he brilliant)

i used to love the anita blake series by laurell k. hamilton but she just got too into the weird sex thing. i don't mind a good erotic novel now and then, but i like my horror novels and my erotic novels separate. you know?

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    f. paul wilson -- repairman jack series (i would kill for something signed by f. paul wilson!)
    How about a new signed limited of "Legacies", turtle? http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin...R_ID=237537999

EDIT: Gauntlet has others, too, by the way

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I am collecting Linnea Sinclair's books.. she writes sci-fi/romance.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The omega man (I am legend, tie-in), by Richard Matheson
    supposed to be sign, but no pix of the sign
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    The omega man (I am legend, tie-in), by Richard Matheson
    supposed to be sign, but no pix of the sign
    Matheson is a phenomenal author! I Am Legend is one of my all time favorite books.

If anyone hasn't read it, do. Trust me you'll love it.

EDIT: btw, as you would expect with Hollywood, the book and the Will Smith movie have almost nothing in common.
    Geoff

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The authors that I collect besides King...hmm...nope, just King.

I do have other misc. books scattered throughout my room though. Dan Brown, Christopher Priest, etc.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Traveler Dante Deschain is on a distinguished road

Anne Rice:The Vampire Chronicles
    Jim Butcher:The Dresden Files
    and anything by Chris Wooding

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of new additions to the collection:

I think LONESOME DOVE is my favorite book of all time. I liked the book much better than the TV mini-series and have read it five times. Proofs are not all that uncommon but can be pricey. The trick is to find one in nice condition at a decent price which I was finally able to do.

Early McCammon proofs are difficult to find. This is the first proof of MYSTERY WALK I have seen.

A couple of years ago there was a proof copy of BAAL on eBay. I only half heartedly bid on it and, of course, didn't win. I have been kicking myself ever since for not bidding more aggressively. I doubt I will ever see another. Still, I am pretty happy with this copy of MYSTERY WALK.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice acquisitions Bob!

I must read Lonesome Dove, then. I own all the Lonesome Dove movies, and just love them. But I've never read one of the books. Obviously this is something I need to do.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll add a couple of new books by Robert E. Howard, I was geeked about getting over the weekend. The are the two Conan of Cimmeria books, volume one and two. Wandering Star, a UK publisher, started a complete Robert E. Howard collection called the Library of Classics series. They did 5 books, plus some supplementary material (art books, sketch books, and one facsimile), and then they went defunct. Subterranean picked up the series with KULL, and is to continue the line of books.

These are really great books. As you can see they are very colorful, and inside there are about 6 full color plates, and probably about 100 small b&w small illustrations contained within the text throughout the book. They are fully illustrated. Also besides the stories you get fragments, synopsis, and other stuff Howard wrote down but never finished or was published. And at the back there is an extensive appendix on everything about the book.

I haven't received my Sub Press book yet, but these books by Wandering Press are very, very, nice productions.

The first volume:

The second volume:

btw, there are more expensive Leather Editions, but these were what I could afford. Heck they were expensive enough. lol
    Geoff

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I'll add a couple of new books by Robert E. Howard, I was geeked about getting over the weekend. The are the two Conan of Cimmeria books, volume one and two. Wandering Star, a UK publisher, started a complete Robert E. Howard collection called the Library of Classics series. They did 5 books, plus some supplementary material (art books, sketch books, and one facsimile), and then they went defunct. Subterranean picked up the series with KULL, and is to continue the line of books.

These are really great books. As you can see they are very colorful, and inside there are about 6 full color plates, and probably about 100 small b&w small illustrations contained within the text throughout the book. They are fully illustrated. Also besides the stories you get fragments, synopsis, and other stuff Howard wrote down but never finished or was published. And at the back there is an extensive appendix on everything about the book.

I haven't received my Sub Press book yet, but these books by Wandering Press are very, very, nice productions.

btw, there are more expensive Leather Editions, but these were what I could afford. Heck they were expensive enough. lol

I have these also and they really are beautifully produced books. And by all accounts the Sub Press book continues the high standards of the series. (I'm also waiting on my copy of Kull).

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Those books looks really beautiful, Guthrie. Thanks for posting the pictures.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Those books looks really beautiful, Guthrie. Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Yea they really did a good job of crafting books, too bad they folded.

@Clacke, hopefully that is the case. I would hate to see the series change to average production values.
    Geoff

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone collects Haruki Murakami? His earlier hardcovers command such high prices for pretty beat up conditions without dust jackets, to say nothing of like new copies. Very weird. Small print run, or something?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never heard of him. What kind of stories does he write?

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    A couple of new additions to the collection:

Early McCammon proofs are difficult to find. This is the first proof of MYSTERY WALK I have seen.

A couple of years ago there was a proof copy of BAAL on eBay. I only half heartedly bid on it and, of course, didn't win. I have been kicking myself ever since for not bidding more aggressively. I doubt I will ever see another. Still, I am pretty happy with this copy of MYSTERY WALK.
    Bob, congrats on the Mystery Walk proof. I really like McCammon's work, too bad he took such a long hiatus from writing-then did a couple of books that did not work for me.

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Anyone collects Haruki Murakami? His earlier hardcovers command such high prices for pretty beat up conditions without dust jackets, to say nothing of like new copies. Very weird. Small print run, or something?
    I don't collect Murakami but I've read almost all of his books. He's an amazing writer. His novels are a fascinating mix of Japanese history, folklore, surrealism, and modern day middle class ennui.

Pick up The Windup Bird Chronicle. You won't be sorry.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats on those proofs, Bob. LONESOME DOVE is a great book.

They did a nice job on those Conan books, Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I don't collect Murakami but I've read almost all of his books. He's an amazing writer. His novels are a fascinating mix of Japanese history, folklore, surrealism, and modern day middle class ennui.

Pick up The Windup Bird Chronicle. You won't be sorry.
    I ought to read his novels too, since I hear they're great. I just read his short non-fiction book, WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT RUNNING. I was underwhelmed.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I just read his short non-fiction book, WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT RUNNING. I was underwhelmed.
    Yeah, having zero interest in running has kept me from rushing out to pick up that one. Now if he'd written a book called WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT CYCLING that would be a different story

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Murakami is a very unique voice. I highly recommend his earlier novel The Wild Sheep Chase, which I just procured in a first edition for only $30 (they routinely go for at least twice that). Some of his other hardcovers command astronomical prices, such as the short story collection The Elephant Vanishes which can be had for $200-300. I'm not sure why this is so. Even his recent hardcovers that just went out of print not too long ago, like Sputnik Sweetheart, can also cost upwards of $50 or more.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    I would say "a fascinating mix of Japanese history, folklore, surrealism, and modern day middle class ennui" pretty must nails it. You can read up on the man here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruki_Murakami - and also follow the links to the individual books. He just released a short story collection recently, which is still sold in hardcover on Amazon, Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - perhaps a good place to start.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 105 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast