25. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

16 64.00%
  • The Dark Knight

9 36.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Final

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Final

For the ninth and final round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to win the tournament and be declared the best film of the 2000s.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
    Directed by Peter Jackson

Watch Trailer

The Dark Knight (2008)
    Directed by Christopher Nolan

Watch Trailer

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Funny how The Joker brings order to Gotham through his chaotic ways (even if predicated on lies and violence). The movie does play fast and loose with what's right and what's wrong in places and if really analyzed, I'm not sure what it's really trying to say. The scene with the two boats for example. Neither blows the other up seemingly disproving the Joker's idea (even though the boat with average citizens did vote to kill the prisoners but didn't want to get their hands dirty) that we would turn on each other but earlier, hordes of people, including a cop, nearly kill one man because of the hospital threat The Joker made.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen LOTR (yeah, yeah, I know), but can it really be better than TDK? To vote or not to vote, that is the question.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Funny how The Joker brings order to Gotham through his chaotic ways (even if predicated on lies and violence). The movie does play fast and loose with what's right and what's wrong in places and if really analyzed, I'm not sure what it's really trying to say. The scene with the two boats for example. Neither blows the other up seemingly disproving the Joker's idea (even though the boat with average citizens did vote to kill the prisoners but didn't want to get their hands dirty) that we would turn on each other but earlier, hordes of people, including a cop, nearly kill one man because of the hospital threat The Joker made.

Technically the Joker didn't bring order back to Gotham. While The Joker is responsible for limiting the mob's power and darkening the heart of Harvey Dent, ultimately it's Batman's sacrifice to save the public from learning of what Dent truly became that allowed his supposed death at the hands of Batman to make Dent a martyr for peace and justice that inspired Gotham to reform. I'd say The Joker was the impetus for bringing Batman and Dent together so that ultimate outcome could occur, but I can't really credit him with creating order through chaos.

Funny thing though that you brought up the boat scene. I've always found The Joker in The Dark Knight to be a total hypocrite. He tells Dent that he's an agent of chaos and that he doesn't have a plan, that he's like a dog chasing after a car and he wouldn't even know what to do with it if he caught it. He seems to despise that Gordon and others are schemers and planners. Yet he consistently acts in ways contrary to those words. He comes up with convoluted plans like purposely getting captured, the hospital stuff, and the boat scenario. He says schemes are how people maintain the illusion that they have control over their little worlds while The Joker is constantly trying to also maintain control with the illusion he's just an agent of chaos. In fact, his acts are so orchestrated and exact that when he's explaining the boat scenario, he's reading his speech off a piece of paper. It's something I'm surprised no one ever talks about when it comes to Ledger's Joker. He may not technically be a hypocrite, but at the very least his whole 'agent of chaos' persona is nothing more than a misleading act he puts on for people.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Also I voted Fellowship of the Ring. I love The Dark Knight, but Fellowship ranks a fair bit higher on my list for the decade. The Dark Knight would probably be around 20-25 whereas Fellowship is my #10.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Technically the Joker didn't bring order back to Gotham. While The Joker is responsible for limiting the mob's power and darkening the heart of Harvey Dent, ultimately it's Batman's sacrifice to save the public from learning of what Dent truly became that allowed his supposed death at the hands of Batman to make Dent a martyr for peace and justice that inspired Gotham to reform. I'd say The Joker was the impetus for bringing Batman and Dent together so that ultimate outcome could occur, but I can't really credit him with creating order through chaos.

Funny thing though that you brought up the boat scene. I've always found The Joker in The Dark Knight to be a total hypocrite. He tells Dent that he's an agent of chaos and that he doesn't have a plan, that he's like a dog chasing after a car and he wouldn't even know what to do with it if he caught it. He seems to despise that Gordon and others are schemers and planners. Yet he consistently acts in ways contrary to those words. He comes up with convoluted plans like purposely getting captured, the hospital stuff, and the boat scenario. He says schemes are how people maintain the illusion that they have control over their little worlds while The Joker is constantly trying to also maintain control with the illusion he's just an agent of chaos. In fact, his acts are so orchestrated and exact that when he's explaining the boat scenario, he's reading his speech off a piece of paper. It's something I'm surprised no one ever talks about when it comes to Ledger's Joker. He may not technically be a hypocrite, but at the very least his whole 'agent of chaos' persona is nothing more than a misleading act he puts on for people.
    Oh I don't think his plan was to bring about order at all. I think it just happened. He exposed crooked cops and basically decimated the mob. He gave Gotham a martyr in the form of Dent and a villain in the form of Batman. Now if he had not been caught, who knows how things would have gone but as it is, a false order is there by the end. A joke played on the Joker by his own actions. And somehow I imagine he would have thought that was funny.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominated both these films, so I'm not bothered which one wins.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LOTR is NOT better than the Dark Knight.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I've never seen LOTR (yeah, yeah, I know), but can it really be better than TDK? To vote or not to vote, that is the question.
    You're not missing anything. I don't think I'm voting either. Neither film is anywhere near my top of the decade list.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Lord of The Rings isn't. But Fellowship of the Ring is

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Two great films that changed their respective genres forever. I voted The Dark Knight, but I'll be happy with whichever wins.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Lord of The Rings isn't. But Fellowship of the Ring is
    I loved them all BUT I liked the first the least of the three. I prefer them in reverse order actually. haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I love The Dark Knight, it's my favorite super hero movie, but it's no Fellowship of the Ring. Honestly I'd probably put the entire LOTR trilogy ahead of it. But I kinda view them all as one thing, I'm never gonna just watch one of them. If I watch one I will have to watch the rest (not all at once obviously, who has time for that).

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I know you love film so I think you owe it to yourself to watch them. They're paradigm changing films that also happen to be great stories. Literally any on-screen fantasy epic afterward owes its existence to LOTR.

You hit the nail on the head, Joker is a hypocrite and a schemer, BUT it doesn't matter to him. Everything is just a means to end. He assumes whatever characteristic is required to cause as much carnage as possible. That's what makes him such a great character, his kaleidoscopic persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    You're not missing anything. I don't think I'm voting either. Neither film is anywhere near my top of the decade list.
    What IS at the top of your decade list?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    What IS at the top of your decade list?
    My top films would probably be Kill Bill, Pan's Labyrinth, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. But it's tough. I was just looking through the list of films nominated and there were so many great ones in there.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spirited Away definitely should've been in the later stages of the tournament. But yes I agree, here Fellowship is better and I wouldn't mind if it represented the decade.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know you love film so I think you owe it to yourself to watch them. They're paradigm changing films that also happen to be great stories. Literally any on-screen fantasy epic afterward owes its existence to LOTR.
    Yeah, it's not like I'm actively ignoring it or anything. I've seen little bits and pieces on TV. It's just that kind of high fantasy is not something I normally wouldn't seek out if I want to watch a movie. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, though. Then there's the whole should I watch the movies or read the books first? question.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Two great films that changed their respective genres forever. I voted The Dark Knight, but I'll be happy with whichever wins.
    So you're not going to hate me forever for voting for LotR? We've known each other since 2005. I'd hate for it to end over The Lord of the Rings.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure if my top 10 of the decade would change since I made that list like 5 years ago or something, but it's currently...

1. Synecdoche, New York
    2. The Pianist
    3. Lost in Translation
    4. Wall-E
    5. Mulholland Dr.
    6. Into The Wild
    7. Children of Men
    8. The Fellowship of the Ring
    9. The Wrestler
    10. The Royal Tenenbaums

Turns out I misremembered where fellowship fell in my list.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    So you're not going to hate me forever for voting for LotR? We've known each other since 2005. I'd hate for it to end over The Lord of the Rings.
    Not forever, just for a little while

Dude I can't believe I've known you for 15 years already! Shit man. I need to plan a trip out to CT soon.

I'm not sure if my top 10 of the decade would change since I made that list like 5 years ago or something, but it's currently...

1. Synecdoche, New York
    2. The Pianist
    3. Lost in Translation
    4. Wall-E
    5. Mulholland Dr.
    6. Into The Wild
    7. Children of Men
    9. The Wrestler
    10. The Royal Tenenbaums

Didn't think you'd rate Wall-E that high. Honestly it's not my favorite Pixar, but it's still a decent film.

I still need to watch SNY

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Not forever, just for a little while

Dude I can't believe I've known you for 15 years already! Shit man. I need to plan a trip out to CT soon.

1. Synecdoche, New York
    2. The Pianist
    3. Lost in Translation
    4. Wall-E
    5. Mulholland Dr.
    6. Into The Wild
    7. Children of Men
    9. The Wrestler
    10. The Royal Tenenbaums

Didn't think you'd rate Wall-E that high. Honestly it's not my favorite Pixar, but it's still a decent film.

I still need to watch SNY

I love Wall-E. It's such a dense film yet so simple and straightforward at the same time. It basically bucks all the typical trends of mainstream animated film. From what I know, it was the original film Pixar wanted to make way back in the early 90's, but they knew the technology wasn't there to achieve their true vision, so they sat on it until they could actually make it. I think that passion really shows through in the final product.

And yes, you definitely have to watch Synecdoche, New York. It is my truly favourite film of all time. Watch Anomalisa too. I know you like Charlie Kaufman.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Time flies when you're shooting the shit on the internet.

Country
    Country Flag

So my takeaway from that is we're having a party at Mike's in CT? With Doritos and pizza? And maybe some chocolate cake?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Hope everyone in the US had a very happy Thanksgiving! This is closing Monday evening, so get your vote in if you haven't yet!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So my takeaway from that is we're having a party at Mike's in CT? With Doritos and pizza? And maybe some chocolate cake?
    How about Doritos pizza?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast