Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WDIL collection

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default WDIL collection

I'll kick things off with Cixin Liu. These are his complete works (and adjacent) available in English. All books are first printings.

Closeups:
    Spoiler:

Note to self: crop yer pics, foo'!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I've heard of this guy, never read any of his novels, but I think I read a translated story in F&SF. Nice un-cropped pictures though!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

He's great. It's hard to talk about why he's great without spoiling the story. The Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy is proof there are still fresh concepts in SF.

If you're at all a fan of Clarke, Asimov, Niven, and even the Hyperion Cantos, chances are you'd like Liu too. Expansive, multi-century, galaxy-wide settings + fresh ideas and moreover, a fresh approach to those ideas.

The trilogy is by far his best work but if you're looking for a standalone novel, The Supernova Era is really good too. It's like The Lord of the Flies but with modern weapons.

Edit: the movie Wandering Earth is on Netflix.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Agree with the Cixin Liu recommendation. The Remembrance of Earth's Past is a solid, old-school SF trilogy, equal parts hard SF and space opera.

Congrats on the first editions. Very nice, indeed.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

The Tower of Power aka Hyperion Cantos. First printings. I sold the Subterranean set and kept the original editions. I've thought long and hard about it and decided I was pretty underwhelmed by the ascetic approach Subterranean took when they published the series. It didn't make sense to me; a series incredibly rich in imagery and not a single illustration and not even a slipcase to house each of the tomes. I do believe that sometimes less is more but in this case it was a misstep. Anyway, here are the four books.

Just look at this beauty of cover art in all its wraparound glory:

I also have the first editions of The Terror and Summer of Night. Once I get The Crook Factory and possibly Prayers to Broken Stones, my personal Simmons set will be complete.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I tend to agree with you about the SubPress editions - and I'm a huge fan of SubPress. I have both the SubPress and US first editions you display above, but if I had to sell a set, my SubPress ones would go.

Very nice indeed. A very entertaining series. Simmons has been posting new Hyperion-related prose snippets on his Facebook page with new illustrations done by various artists. No explanation as to whether he's noodling with ideas for a new novel, a short story collection, an illustrated guide to the Hegemony of Man, or none of the above. But there may be new Hyperion fiction in our future.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Very colorful. Another author I've yet to explore.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Country
    Country Flag

Here's the complete set of PKD's short stories. Published by Subterranean Press in two states. I chose the trade editions as the signed ones didn't have any extras. Yes, I've read them all.

Closeups:

Spoiler:

That’s a great collection! Congrats!

Ilium (Simmons)

Now those I really like!

Country
    Country Flag

Here are more point and click pics taken with my ancient phone. I gave it a push and, hey, it turned on. This is almost everything I have by Harlan Ellison. He's super fun to collect; he wrote a lot and most of the books aren't too expensive.

The family:

A little bit closer:

I love me a good omnibus edition so here's a full set of Abbey Edgeworks hardcovers:

Closeups of the few limited editions I'm lucky enough to have:

Slippage from Ziesings.
    Spoiler:

No Doors, No Windows. Borderlands Press.
    Spoiler:

Ellison Wonderland with the bonus hardcover Pebbles from the Mountain. PS Publishing. 200 made.
    Spoiler:

Ellison's bibliography. It's an indispensable resource for fans and collectors both:
    Spoiler:

MARCH 13 UPDATE

Spoiler:
    The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World S/L:

The Beast limitation page:

Always nice to land Ellison's signature in a trade hardcover:

Under Glass, limited to 250. After a somewhat underwhelming production of Alternate Routes, it was nice to see CH return to form with this fine edition. You can read about what went into creating the cover in the next pic. This isn't just a book, this is a tome. I'm too lazy to look up the exact dimensions but it stands taller than Deathbird Stories and The Top of the Volcano limiteds from SubPress.

Up close and personal with the limitation page of Under Glass. I tried to capture the texture of paper. The whole book was printed using the same stock, it's very, very cool to touch.
    Last edited by WeDealInLead; 03-13-2020 at 02:41 PM.

The Ellisons are GREAT! I have those plus a couple more.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

SUPERNICE COLLECTION !!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    The Ellisons are GREAT! I have those plus a couple more.
    Haha, "plus a couple more" is an understatement of the year. I've seen the pics you posted of the Sub Press lettereds and Charnel House editions.

Thank you too, Stockerlone. It's nice to see Ellison get some love.

Country
    Country Flag

Childhood's End is okay I suppose...

The two book ACC set Centipede has already published wasn't a total catastrophe either.

Matched numbers are just terrible too. Who cares, right?

The set is The City and the Stars and Against the Fall of Night. I'd love it if CP would keep on publishing Clarke's classic books.

Yeah, what a bunch of just 'okay' stuff!!!

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Very pretty books, well done
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great, especially Cixin and Simmons. Now I'm going to have to check cause I'm not sure I have all those Cixins
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great new collection thread!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Childhood's End really turned out great!
    Mark Twain

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loving this thread! Those are some great sets.

I also agree with the general dissatisfaction with the Sub Press treatment of the Hyperion cantos. Maybe dissatisfaction is too strong a word. I just love that series so much, and I think they deserve something special. What they got was a B-series Sub Press treatment, when they deserve so much more. Especially the lettered - Sub Press can do a great lettered edition when they really try. I'd love to see another publisher take a go at them!

Thanks for sharing - excited to see more

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Loving this thread! Those are some great sets.

I also agree with the general dissatisfaction with the Sub Press treatment of the Hyperion cantos. Maybe dissatisfaction is too strong a word. I just love that series so much, and I think they deserve something special. What they got was a B-series Sub Press treatment, when they deserve so much more. Especially the lettered - Sub Press can do a great lettered edition when they really try. I'd love to see another publisher take a go at them!

Thanks for sharing - excited to see more
    Agree (again). As much as I loathe to be negative about SubPress - they have done some stunning editions over the years - I think they fell short on the Hyperion Cantos. They elected to do an oversized edition, which added cost at the expense of features such as a slipcase, two-color printing, or any interior illustrations. Even the lettered editions were somewhat lacklustre (which is why I don't have a set, despite my enthusiasm for the series).

(Compare to, say, the lettered edition they did of Black Hills, which is absolutely stunning, it's really surprising they made the choices they did for Hyperion, which is far more popular and revered. Or Drood, for pity's sake.)

Anyway, great additions, WeDealInLead! That CP Childhood's End is just stunning. Congrats!

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Four new Ellison acquisitions. I updated the master Ellison post with individuals and closeups. The four books are as follows: Under Glass from Charnel House, unsigned but still very limited with only 250 made; signed first printing of Strange Wine (this wasn't easy to find in good condition), trade edition of Mefisto in Onyx (found it for four bucks in the Frank Miller section at my comic store), S/L of The Beast that Shouted Love.... from Borderlands at half the usual price.

Go Harlan!

I wonder what the holdup is on the signed and lettered editions of ELLISON UNDER GLASS? They are overdue.

Country
    Country Flag

Three new Powers books. Yes, this means a Powers "master" post is finally coming. I've decided to figuratively get off my ass and literally sit on it to upload the billion pics I took today. Anyway, top to bottom it's as follows:

The Drawing of the Dark, lettered edition of 30 (weird, huh?) from Hypatia, Where They Are Hid S/N from Charnel House, The Stress of Her Regard S/N from Charnel House. I know the lettered Drawing looks damaged but that's just the seam on the slipcase.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast