Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

20 66.67%
  • The Mist

10 33.33%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 5 - Group 3 of 16

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 5 - Group 3 of 16

During the fifth round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to move onto the next round. The top film will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
    Directed by Peter Jackson

Watch Trailer

The Mist (2007)
    Directed by Frank Darabont

Watch Trailer

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

LOTR2
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just rewatched The Mist with my wife. Some of the effects look bad by today's standards and some of the acting is over the top but it was still enjoyable. My wife was mad I made her watch such a depressing movie.

I still voted LOTR though.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Surprised The Mist isn't doing better. I thought this would be the first LOTR to fall but looks like not.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved how Frank handled the ending of the Mist. The ride home after that movie was very quiet and introspective.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Surprised The Mist isn't doing better. I thought this would be the first LOTR to fall but looks like not.
    Me too, but among my family and friends, Two Towers is surprisingly popular. A lot of them say it's their favorite, where I consider it the weakest of the three films.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Me too, but among my family and friends, Two Towers is surprisingly popular. A lot of them say it's their favorite, where I consider it the weakest of the three films.
    I'm not sure how it can be the weakest of the three films. Helm's Deep alone is better than anything in RotK.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Honestly I think The Mist has made it further here than it would almost anywhere else. I don't remember it being all that particularly well thought of in film circles. I think it just gets a bit of extra lover here because well this is a board largely focused around Stephen King.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Well another thing is that King fans get a lot of crappy adaptations of his works. There are some great ones, make no mistake but when an adaptation actually surpasses the original work (which I think it did with this film) we get a little excited.

I wish it had been released in black and white. I think it would have had a bigger impact.

That ending though, one of the darkest in any of his adaptations that SPOILER wasn't in the original story.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'm not sure how it can be the weakest of the three films. Helm's Deep alone is better than anything in RotK.
    Disagree. Are you talking about the extended cuts? There is a difference when discussing these films.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Disagree. Are you talking about the extended cuts? There is a difference when discussing these films.
    The extended cuts improve Two Towers. They just make RotK longer and more boring. Though I did like the inclusion of the orc marching scene I was sad wasnt in the theatrical cut. Basically the Sam/Frodo/Gollum stuff is great and the rest of the movie sucks aside from Denethor. The final Battle was uninteresting and boring and took way too long.

5 minutes of torches being lit in the dumbest sequence ever and GHOST ARMY just drag an already mediocre finale down even further. A lot of the film just feels lazy to me. I can see the fatigue of the cast and crew in it and especially the production choices. Compare the immersive production of Fellowship to the CGI-reliant production of RotK. The problems I had with RotK were all in Hobbit which is why I couldn't even finish the first Hobbit.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I need to rewatch the Trilogy, I too remember Two Towers being the weakest of the 3, and RotK being my favorite.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I need to rewatch the Trilogy, I too remember Two Towers being the weakest of the 3, and RotK being my favorite.
    I marathoned all the extended cuts a few years ago. Some day I want to do all the LoTR and Hobbit extended cuts in one day. Unfortunately, I have no desire to watch the Hobbit films again.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I marathoned all the extended cuts a few years ago. Some day I want to do all the LoTR and Hobbit extended cuts in one day. Unfortunately, I have no desire to watch the Hobbit films again.
    Yea The Hobbit is so bad. I watched a really good 3 part video essay about it the other day. Here's part one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers moves on and The Mist is eliminated.

+ Reply to Thread