Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Horror-thon 2019

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    The premise is that a group of teenagers had Saturday detention but because their school was shut down due to an infestation of rabid opossums (WTF?) they instead moved the detention to an old abandoned prison.
    I laughed out loud at this.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Weekend movie lineup:
    Tonight - Haunt
    Tomorrow- Robert Rodriguez's The Faculty
    Sunday - Midsommar
    Never seen Haunt or Midsommar. Loved Hereditary.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Im still on my SK buzz so gonna try n do the stand and maybe silver bullet this weekend.
    I know the acting is below par, graphics are AWFUL but I just cant help but love 80s n 90s horror..especially King movies...

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Kingfan, let me know how Haunt is. That's on my list, too.

Saw Joker last night (if that counts) and enjoyed it. A little slower paced than I was expecting, but great character work, acting, score, and those final 15 minutes were bananas.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Kingfan, let me know how Haunt is. That's on my list, too.

Saw Joker last night (if that counts) and enjoyed it. A little slower paced than I was expecting, but great character work, acting, score, and those final 15 minutes were bananas.
    Hey Ricky, if you read the description and it sounds interesting then you will love Haunt. Quick decent character development, solid acting, atmospheric and jump scares, and dare I say- badass kills.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds good! Might have to bump it up on the list. I just bought Annabelle Comes Home today, so that's one I'm looking forward to also.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds good! Might have to bump it up on the list. I just bought Annabelle Comes Home today, so that's one I'm looking forward to also.
    YOU let me know on that one if you would?

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Sure will!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

list so far

Oct 10 Dagon 2001 (lovecraftian)
    Oct 12 Sometimes They Come Back 1991
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://movies.rottentomatoes.com/pu...k-ou0mYh_AwyrM

For anyone who's interested... rotten tomatoes top 100 on netflix.

Country
    Country Flag

Kingfan, I watched Annabelle Comes Home last night and am sad to say I was disappointed, especially because I was looking forward to it since it was announced. The concept of the Warrens' artifact room is phenomenal on paper and has a ton of potential (and having Patrick and Vera back as the Warrens back didn't hurt), but ultimately it just didn't do it for me. It had a very slow build-up, didn't do a great job with the utilization of the main entities, and the horror and suspense elements were mainly concerned with jumpscares and characters quietly walking down dark hallways. If I had to really pinpoint the film's problems I would boil it down to pacing and story, which were the same problems I had with The Nun and a couple other Gary Dauberman-responsible horror projects. I will say that having the film center on Judy really worked for me (and Mckenna Grace's performance was fantastic), but ultimately it feels like a PG-13 horror rather than something with real scares and stakes. It's not a bad film at all (and is a good October watch), but, for me, it didn't deliver its full potential.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Kingfan, I watched Annabelle Comes Home last night and am sad to say I was disappointed, especially because I was looking forward to it since it was announced. The concept of the Warrens' artifact room is phenomenal on paper and has a ton of potential (and having Patrick and Vera back as the Warrens back didn't hurt), but ultimately it just didn't do it for me. It had a very slow build-up, didn't do a great job with the utilization of the main entities, and the horror and suspense elements were mainly concerned with jumpscares and characters quietly walking down dark hallways. If I had to really pinpoint the film's problems I would boil it down to pacing and story, which were the same problems I had with The Nun and a couple other Gary Dauberman-responsible horror projects. I will say that having the film center on Judy really worked for me (and Mckenna Grace's performance was fantastic), but ultimately it feels like a PG-13 horror rather than something with real scares and stakes. It's not a bad film at all (and is a good October watch), but, for me, it didn't deliver its full potential.
    Cool. Thanks for a great review. I bet I will agree with a lot of your points. I really only liked one movie of the series so far. The Conjuring.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

With the start of October (and the season for prime horror movie-watching) only two days away, it's time to get the ball rolling on this year's Halloween Horror-thon!

On the TV side, I'm watching the new season of American Horror Story

What's everyone planning on watching or re-watching this year? New releases? Favorite classics? And, most importantly, what's your favorite go-to Halloween-movie-watching snack or treat?
    Aw-yeah uh!!
    I meant to start the new season of American Horror Story, but didn't yet. I haven't watched the past few seasons, but the new one looked like a fun Halloween watch. Have you watched any yet? If so, would you recommend it?

I love how you included snacks in the discussion.
    My snacks are usually popcorn, followed by M&Ms or cookies. You know, things that are ideal to eat in the dark. I try to avoid the complicated things like creme-filled donuts, but won't say I won't live on the edge sometimes. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Also does anyone watch Halloween Wars? That's another favorite of mine that I have to watch every year.
    Yes! I love Halloween Wars. I think we discussed it last year, but it amazes me the kind of things they can create on that show. I also watch a bit of that Haunted Gingerbread Showdown when I catch it.

I officially watched my first horror film of the month this past weekend. Elvira Mistress of the Dark. It's been quite a few years since I've last seen it, but it's funny because me and my sister watched this one all time when we were younger. And watching it now its filled entirely with sexual innuendos
    Haha! Now I want to seek this out just for fun. I'm almost positive I saw it as a kid, but can't remember much about it. Isn't it great to rewatch stuff from your childhood and think: "Jeez, this was pretty edgy for me to watch as a kid and I didn't even know it". ?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    So my daughter was shuffling through Netflix's "horror" section last night and may have picked the 2 worst horror movies ever made.

The first was called Deadly Detention or something like that. It was a b-movie at best and just barely a step up from a student film. The premise is that a group of teenagers had Saturday detention but because their school was shut down due to an infestation of rabid opossums (WTF?) they instead moved the detention to an old abandoned prison. Seriously... what the actual fuck?

The usual horror movie schlock happens. The killer takes out the teacher and then proceeds to pick the kids off one by one. The problem is that for the first half of the movie, none of the characters actually die on screen. They simply cut to black just before something is about to happen. Of course they characters get separated at one point and two of them, instead of finding the goddamn exit, decide to have sex. Twice. But they somehow weren't killed during the act. Which I always though was horror movie 101.
    I swear I almost spit my food out reading your synopsis. It's great. The prison. The two morons stopping to have sex instead of finding the exit. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    Im still on my SK buzz so gonna try n do the stand and maybe silver bullet this weekend.
    I know the acting is below par, graphics are AWFUL but I just cant help but love 80s n 90s horror..especially King movies...
    Heck yeah. I still love to watch Silver Bullet to this day. It's not top notch horror, but there's still an element of unease for me when I watch it.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

So far, these are the movies I've watched this season:

Happy Death Day 2U
    House
    I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House

I still want to get around to watching:
    Insidious - The Last Key
    Pet Sematary (2019)
    In the Tall Grass

Plus some other ones I'm forgetting

Country
    Country Flag

I started The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina a few days ago. I'm two episodes in right now. It's fairly enjoyable--and I like its twist on witchcraft--but it hasn't completely won me over yet.

Heather, I ended up starting this year's season of the Gingerbread Showdown after all and now I'm invested. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I could've sworn Sandra Lee hosted last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Aw-yeah uh!!
    I meant to start the new season of American Horror Story, but didn't yet. I haven't watched the past few seasons, but the new one looked like a fun Halloween watch. Have you watched any yet? If so, would you recommend it?

I love how you included snacks in the discussion.
    My snacks are usually popcorn, followed by M&Ms or cookies. You know, things that are ideal to eat in the dark. I try to avoid the complicated things like creme-filled donuts, but won't say I won't live on the edge sometimes. haha
    I'm all caught up on this season of AHS (I think it has had 4 episodes so far?). It's very watchable, but I'm not hooked or feeling that need-the-next-episode-NOW feeling that I've gotten from past seasons. It's an homage to 80s slashers, so it kind of does have that Halloweeny feel.

And you know I had to include snacks! They're nearly as important as the movie itself. Haha. For crunch it's been Doritos lately. And donuts (double chocolate and pumpkin). But you know what, popcorn and M&Ms DO go great together.

So far, these are the movies I've watched this season:

Happy Death Day 2U

I still want to get around to watching:
    Insidious - The Last Key
    Pet Sematary (2019)
    In the Tall Grass
    Wait, you didn't watch Happy Death Day 2 U before you watched Happy Death Day, did you?

And you gotta get to that last Insidious, man! Haha.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love the new season of AHS. I'm just enjoying it for that 80s slasher feel. I don't expect anything thought provoking, but its keeping me thoroughly entertained, so that's a win in my book. Hopefully the rest of the episodes are on the same level as the first bunch. I know they sometimes like to switch things up a bit.

Ricky, I also started The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the other day. I enjoyed the first episode but it didn't fully grab me for some reason. Hopefully it will as I watch more. I did end up finally starting The Haunting of Hill House. Not sure why it took me so long to start it but I'm loving it!

Amanda, what did you think of I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House? I thought it was a really good quiet creepy movie. Oh and Silver Bullet is a favorite of mine as well. I've seen that film countless times.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

list so far

Oct 13 Dark Ride 2006
    Oct 15 It Follows 2014
    Oct 16 Fright Night 1985

Wait, you didn't watch Happy Death Day 2 U before you watched Happy Death Day, did you?

And you gotta get to that last Insidious, man! Haha.
    No, I just listed the wrong movie.
    Can you imagine me sitting down to watch a sequel before seeing the original? haha

And I swear, this is the year for the last Insidious.

[Cut to my death years down the road] My tombstone reads: "Maybe she'll see the last Indisous in the after-life"

Amanda, what did you think of I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House? I thought it was a really good quiet creepy movie. Oh and Silver Bullet is a favorite of mine as well. I've seen that film countless times.
    I liked the feel of it, but wasn't too excited by the climax. The tone of it was done well though and reminded me of a classic ghost story.

And Silver Bullet is so fun to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post

Oct 16 Fright Night 1985
    Fright Night is a classic for me.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Gerald's Game
    The Dark Tower
    In the Tall Grass
    It chapter 1
    Pet Sematary (remake)
    The Shining
    Misery
    Children of the Corn
    Sometime They Come Back
    The Night Flier
    The Graveyard Shift
    Silver Bullet
    Pet Sematary
    The Dead Zone

Country
    Country Flag

I did end up finally starting The Haunting of Hill House. Not sure why it took me so long to start it but I'm loving it!
    I'm really surprised you hadn't watched it already! I'm glad you're liking it. The first couple episodes were slow to me and didn't really grip me, but that changed afterwards. I think they did a really good job on that show overall. The character work is great (plus the atmosphere and some genuine creepiness).

Oct 16 Fright Night 1985
    This is one that I put on my list from last year (I think at Heather's recommendation) that I didn't get around to. Is it pure horror, or kind of campy/comedy?

No, I just listed the wrong movie.
    Can you imagine me sitting down to watch a sequel before seeing the original? haha

And I swear, this is the year for the last Insidious.

[Cut to my death years down the road] My tombstone reads: "Maybe she'll see the last Indisous in the after-life"
    Ah, okay. Haha. Just wanted to make sure, since those titles are pretty similar.

And when you finally watch the last Insidious, I'm going to stand up and do a slow clap for you.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Watch Fright Night Ricky!

And I think I probably started Haunting of Hill House maybe 3 times over the past year? But I never made it thru the first episode for some reason. Once I did however, I was hooked. I'm glad to hear it gets better as it goes on. I think I'm only 3 episodes in at the moment.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I think that's about where it started picking up for me. There's some good stuff coming! Especially the Bent Neck Lady episode (I think it's episode 6?).

And it looks like Fright Night is airing a few times in the next week or so, so I'll have to remember to set my DVR.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Friday - Crawl
    Sat.- 3 from Hell
    Sun. - Dogtooth (not horror & probably the "Scariest" of the 3)

Crawl good?

ANYTHING DT Related #246

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Fright Night was written and directed by Tom Holland. He also co-wrote the screenplay and directed Child's Play and directed Thinner. So it's horror that you can smile at while watching.

list so far

Oct 17 The Invisible Man $$

Country
    Country Flag

Fright Night was written and directed by Tom Holland. He also co-wrote the screenplay and directed Child's Play and directed Thinner. So it's horror that you can smile at while watching.

list so far

Oct 17 The Invisible Man $$
    Loved It Follows! Good call.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast