Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Halloween Horror-thon 2019

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Halloween Horror-thon 2019

With the start of October (and the season for prime horror movie-watching) only two days away, it's time to get the ball rolling on this year's Halloween Horror-thon!

Here's our thread from last year: Halloween Horror-thon 2018. As always, it's more fun when more people chime in with what they're watching (or planning on watching) throughout the month.

My list seems to get longer and longer every year, but here are the ones that are at the top for this year: Cult of Chucky, Goosebumps 2, The House with a Clock in its Walls, Pet Sematary (2019), Happy Death Day 2 U, The Curse of la Llorona, 3 From Hell, Eli (Netflix), and Annabelle Comes Home. And I definitely want to re-watch Halloween (1978 and last year's). On the TV side, I'm watching the new season of American Horror Story and almost through Marianne on Netflix. Then I think I'm going to start Season 1 of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina since I never got around to it last year.

What's everyone planning on watching or re-watching this year? New releases? Favorite classics? And, most importantly, what's your favorite go-to Halloween-movie-watching snack or treat?

A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I'm getting THE CURSE OF LA LLORONA from Netflix on DVD in a day or two in the mail.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If Midsommar counts that is #1 on my list!

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've been waiting for you to start this thread Ricky!

I've watched a small handful of horror films this past month. I saw the new It, I also rewatched House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects, then went to see Three From Hell. Which I really enjoyed.

I have a few staples that I seem to watch every year. Halloween, The Shining, Kenny & Company, and Trick r' Treat. Next up I plan to rewatch The Dark Half since I just finished the book. I also need to start the new season of AHS and maybe I'll finally get around to watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina as well. It'll be a good time to start it. And if I get around to getting Shudder I'll watch the new Creepshow as well
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was waiting for your 3 From Hell thoughts, Heather. I thought that after the limited 3 day release it would release wide, so I was surprised when I read a few days ago that that was it and it'll be on DVD next month. So you enjoyed it? How would you rank it with the other two? And I'm a bit iffy about this season of AHS. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yes, it was just a 3 night event. Each night included something different. We went to night 2 which included a behind the scenes documentary. Only problem was part way into the documentary the screen just went black, so not sure how much we missed. Hopefully it'll be included on the dvd. I enjoyed it, yet I did really miss Sid Haig being a part of it. Two weeks prior to the start of filming Rob got a call from him and realized that he wouldn't be up for filming. He was able to get him to come out for one day and do a few shots with him which was good that he was able to include him in the film, yet the three from hell which was supposed to be him, Baby and Otis had to be rewritten to include a new character. It worked but yet I imagine the original 3 would have been much better. If I had to rank them I'd probably go with House, then Devil's, then this one. But if you enjoyed the other 2, I think you'll like this one as well.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to try and watch a couple, but I won't be doing anything extensive for October this year. I'll be busy too many nights and on my spare nights I've get wrasslin, Walking Dead, South Park, and some baseball playoffs to watch.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Yes, it was just a 3 night event. Each night included something different. We went to night 2 which included a behind the scenes documentary. Only problem was part way into the documentary the screen just went black, so not sure how much we missed. Hopefully it'll be included on the dvd. I enjoyed it, yet I did really miss Sid Haig being a part of it. Two weeks prior to the start of filming Rob got a call from him and realized that he wouldn't be up for filming. He was able to get him to come out for one day and do a few shots with him which was good that he was able to include him in the film, yet the three from hell which was supposed to be him, Baby and Otis had to be rewritten to include a new character. It worked but yet I imagine the original 3 would have been much better. If I had to rank them I'd probably go with House, then Devil's, then this one. But if you enjoyed the other 2, I think you'll like this one as well.
    Yeah, I heard about Sid not being well enough to be in it as much as planned. I enjoyed Devil's Rejects much more than House of 1000 Corpses, so I'm hoping the style and tone (and character focus) is more in line with DR.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My eldest daughter has turned 16..
    It to introduce her to my world of horror...
    Yey!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think this month would be perfect to binge Into the Dark on Hulu.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I think this month would be perfect to binge Into the Dark on Hulu.
    That's been in my list forever, I'll really have to try to start it soon. Which do you prefer Mae, Sabrina or Into the Dark?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually just started the second season of Sabrina, I know I'm late, but there's been so much to watch and also real life to do. Pretty different stuff, though. Personally I prefer Sabrina if I had to choose, because Kiernan Shipka is perfect as Sabrina, Archie Comics are iconic, and I love the tone of the series. Into the Dark is more serious and they're basically Twilight Zoney Blumhouse horror movies. Which is a good thing.

Both sound really good, and I've been meaning to watch both forever now. Maybe I'll put my other shows on hold for the month and start on these.

Also does anyone watch Halloween Wars? That's another favorite of mine that I have to watch every year.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes to Halloween Wars! I watch it every year, too. I haven't seen the premiere yet, though. And supposedly there's a ton of new ghost/horror programming coming up on Travel Channel this month, but I haven't seen anything yet. Anyone watch those kind of shows?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

I used to watch them all but then it became too overwhelming because there's so many now. But I did set my dvr for quite a few of them that sounded interesting. There's going to be a live investigation out in Salem that they're airing fri night. And I'm curious to check out the Holzer files. I've been a listener of Darkness Radio for a long time and the host is going to be one of the investigators so I want to check that one out too.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I can understand that. There ARE a lot of them. I used to really like Ghost Adventures a lot, but then Zak was either getting "possessed" or overreacting every other episode and it started to feel a little inauthentic.

And I'm glad you reminded me about Haunted Salem. I just set my DVR as well.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Oct 1 - The Pit & The Pendulum 1991 (Bernie Wrightson is thanked in the credits)
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I used to really like Ghost Adventures a lot, but then Zak was either getting "possessed" or overreacting every other episode and it started to feel a little inauthentic.
    Zak knows what I like, but he is a bit tough to take seriously.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    Oct 1 - The Pit & The Pendulum 1991 (Bernie Wrightson is thanked in the credits)
    Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

I was never able to get into Ghost Adventures. I did love Ghost Hunters back in the day though. And A Haunting was another favorite of mine.

Oh and do you guys remember Scariest Places on Earth, I think that's what it was called. Narrated by Linda Blair. I was gonna see if I could find those on youtube or somewhere to rewatch this season.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I did love Ghost Hunters back in the day though.
    Have you seen the new incarnation of this show? Jason is gone; it's Grant with a new group of people. I've seen a few episodes and they were pretty good. I like this show's emphasis (present in the new incarnation) on beginning by debunking where they can rather than going into total respiratory distress with every creak as the people on so many similar shows do.

FYI, Jason has a new show (Ghost Nation) on Travel Channel premiering Friday Oct 11.

And A Haunting was another favorite of mine.
    Hell yeah! I know some of the best episodes by name: Legend Trippers (kind of like 3 stories in one), Ghost Hunter, Spellbound, Summerwind, The Wheatsheaf Horror... The best episodes were from the original 4-season run (2005 - 2007), but the post-2012 revival seasons have definitely been worth watching. I just wish they didn't strive for realistic creatures; they fail miserably, resulting only in unintentional hilarity. The show is fine using Anthony Call (the perfect narrator), spare piano soundtrack, and those shots of late-afternoon sun. (Sounds like I might have been paying too much attention to this show, now that I think about it).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My October horror movie viewing is off to an auspicious start: first The Blair Witch Project, then Halloweentown (yes - I own all 4 movies - deal with it).

I haven't seen the new Ghost Hunters yet, but maybe I'll check it out. That was one thing that I liked about them versus other shows, was that they wouldn't jump to conclusions and say it's paranormal but show what could be causing some of things. And I wonder if the new one with Jason, Steve, and Tango will be similar to Ghost Hunters or if they'll do something different.

And I've only seen the original run of A Haunting, Summerwind creeped me out! And I loved the 2 movies that started it off. Did you know that the people in A Haunting in Georgia were the original family. That's a very interesting story. They also had a little segment on Unsolved Mysteries which I would recommend seeking out.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh and do you guys remember Scariest Places on Earth, I think that's what it was called. Narrated by Linda Blair. I was gonna see if I could find those on youtube or somewhere to rewatch this season.
    It sounds familiar but I can't remember if I've seen it. I have seen The Most Terrifying Places on Earth, though. Titles are similar.

What about Paranormal Caught on Camera? That's one I really like.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

I have an episode of Most Terrifying Places on Earth on my dvr at the moment I haven't watched it yet, but I bet it's really similar. And I think I've seen random bits of Paranormal Caught on Camera when I've come across it on tv.

I found some of the episodes on youtube, here's the first one

Spoiler:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast