Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: The Official 2020 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I enjoyed the show this year. I liked Janelle's opening music number. I do agree with Mike though, that they should focus more on all the movies of the year versus just the nominated ones. It'd be cool if they did a few montages throughout the night highlighting other films released that year.

One thing I thought was odd was that they had people introduce the people that would then introduce something. And can someone please explain the Eminem segment to me. I know he had 8 Mile come out ages ago, but I was confused as to why he came out to sing a song now?

Oh and I watched Parasite last night and loved it
    So happy you loved Parasite!

As for Eminem, that's pure PR. His new album just dropped. Plain and simple. I do think it was cool because he ditched the Oscars all those years ago and has now made up for it. Apparently, he always regretted not performing that night.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Ah ok, that makes sense. Well I guess as much sense as it's going to I knew there must have been a connection to something. Had no idea he had a new album out. Still an odd choice if you ask me though.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah ok, that makes sense. Well I guess as much sense as it's going to I knew there must have been a connection to something. Had no idea he had a new album out. Still an odd choice if you ask me though.
    No doubt. It certainly came out of nowhere.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    One thing I thought was odd was that they had people introduce the people that would then introduce something.
    That was weird. Even George MacKay seemed to think it was weird as he was introducing someone else.
    It makes sense when there's a host introducing presenters. But when there's no host, and they try to keep the same format, they have to introduce people to introduce the presenters. It's like the people writing the intros and the people deciding there would be no host didn't talk to each other.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to see Scorsese react to Eminem, and I lost it when they showed him fighting off a powerful nap.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was ok with the show, but could live without the opening act and all that stuff. I can't remember all that from when I was a kid, but maybe. I should look to see if any of the old shows are up somewhere. Anyway, with the exceptions of a couple of people I just loathe, it was fine if long.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

One thing I thought was odd was that they had people introduce the people that would then introduce something. And can someone please explain the Eminem segment to me. I know he had 8 Mile come out ages ago, but I was confused as to why he came out to sing a song now?
    1. His new album (as Mike mentioned)
    2. It fed into the progressive/'woke' theme they were going for
    3. Most importantly, they were honoring the enduring impact certain songs had on different films where the two become almost inextricable

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't followed this thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I haven't seen "A beautiful day in the neighborhood". Wasn't Fred Rodgers the main character in the movie? Why was Tom Hanks nominated for supporting actor and not leading actor?
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    I haven't followed this thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I haven't seen "A beautiful day in the neighborhood". Wasn't Fred Rodgers the main character in the movie? Why was Tom Hanks nominated for supporting actor and not leading actor?
    He's a supporting character. It's about a journalist, I believe.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post

Oh, ok, just assumed it was about Mr. Rodgers.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to see Scorsese react to Eminem, and I lost it when they showed him fighting off a powerful nap.
    That was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    1. It fed into the progressive/'woke' theme they were going for
    This makes the most sense to me.

Academy Executive #1: "Hey, we need to get the young people watching the Oscars this year! Any ideas?"

Academy Executive #2: "Oh! How about this: we hire a rapper that acted in a movie one time that the hip young'uns loved 15 years ago!"

Academy Executive #1: "That will literally save the show! Millions more people will watch and we'll be forevermore known as single-handedly saving the Oscars telecast!"

[cut to next morning as both executives read the headlines that this was the lowest-rated Oscars of all time]

Yeah, Mr. Rogers is in it more than I thought he would be, but it's definitely about the journalist and how Mr. Rogers impacted his way of thinking rather than a straight-up biopic.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

That was the best.

Academy Executive #1: "Hey, we need to get the young people watching the Oscars this year! Any ideas?"

Academy Executive #2: "Oh! How about this: we hire a rapper that acted in a movie one time that the hip young'uns loved 15 years ago!"

Academy Executive #1: "That will literally save the show! Millions more people will watch and we'll be forevermore known as single-handedly saving the Oscars telecast!"

[cut to next morning as both executives read the headlines that this was the lowest-rated Oscars of all time]

Yeah, Mr. Rogers is in it more than I thought he would be, but it's definitely about the journalist and how Mr. Rogers impacted his way of thinking rather than a straight-up biopic.
    To be fair Eminem is still extraordinarily popular. Quoting from wikipedia here because I couldn't remember the exact details "Eminem has had ten number one albums on the Billboard 200, which all consecutively debuted at number one on the chart making him the only artist to achieve this" that 10th album is his most recent one which released in January.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    That was the best.

To be fair Eminem is still extraordinarily popular. Quoting from wikipedia here because I couldn't remember the exact details "Eminem has had ten number one albums on the Billboard 200, which all consecutively debuted at number one on the chart making him the only artist to achieve this" that 10th album is his most recent one which released in January.
    Agree. Eninem is far from done. He is still in his prime and is LOVED all over the world. There is none and never has been anyone like his... he is a master at his craft. I admit... I am a huge fan as well.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Apparently Parasite's BP win was controversial? News to me:

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That guy comes off as an ignorant buffoon. Judging by all the comic books in the background, he should probably just stick to films of that nature.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

RedLetterMedia made fun of that guy in the new Half in the Bag too. I keep meaning to watching the actual video.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Foreign films have been nominated for Best Picture (or the equivalent) Oscar since 1938. Odd that you'd get upset that one would actually win.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Foreign films have been nominated for Best Picture (or the equivalent) Oscar since 1938. Odd that you'd get upset that one would actually win.

HBJ
    Yeah, the guy is just a superhero fanboy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10