13 52.00%
  • Mulholland Drive

8 32.00%
  • Spirited Away

6 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 3 - Group 15 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2000s: Round 3 - Group 15 of 32

During the third round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to two films you would like to move onto the next round. The top two films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Gladiator (2000)
    Directed by Ridley Scott

Watch Trailer

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
    Directed by Michel Gondry

Watch Trailer

Mulholland Drive (2001)
    Directed by David Lynch

Watch Trailer

Spirited Away (2001)
    Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

Watch Trailer

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

damn this group is stacked.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, luck of the draw. Other than Gladiator, which I really like, I wish the other three could go far. Tough choice but had to go with Eternal Sunshine and Spirited Away.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I took Eternal Sunshine and Mulholland Dr. but it was an extremely difficult choice.

It's not uncommon to see Mulholland Dr. in the top 10 for the decade in various other outlets.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I kindof hoped I would be able to vote for Mulholland Dr. in the final. It's my "desert island" movie. One that has enough layers and points of interest to keep me engaged no matter how many times I watch it.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well of course Gladiator is in the lead.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

It’s okay but the other three are way higher for me.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mulholland Dr. losing to Gladiator is like a state fair corn dog losing out to filet mignon. I mean, I like a good corn dog and it can really hit the spot, but...

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Mulholland Dr. losing to Gladiator is like a state fair corn dog losing out to filet mignon. I mean, I like a good corn dog and it can really hit the spot, but...
    Mulholland is good... but no where near Gladiator good. I am not surprised to see it go.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Mulholland is good... but no where near Gladiator good. I am not surprised to see it go.
    Depends who you ask. In other outlets MD might have taken this by a landslide.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Personally I think David Lynch is kinda divisive. I find most people either love or hate his work.

Country
    Country Flag

The real crime here is Spirited Away in last place.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Just cannot do Japanese...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Before anyone has to mention it, I do realize I reversed my analogy. That's what I get for starting drinking at 11:00 am.

Country
    Country Flag

The home video release has a pretty good English dub.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

All of Miyazaki's films have been dubbed pretty well into English often with big name voice actors. Mark Hamil and Chloris Leachman did some voices for The Castle in the Sky. Gillion Anderson, Michael Keaton, Billy Crystal, Uma Thurman, Elle and Dakota Fanning and lot of others have done voice work for his English dubs.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Never seen Mullholland Drive or Spirited Away.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

That needs to be corrected ASAP.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Mae, you did it again. I haven't voted in a handful of these groups and now 3 of my favorites left in the competition have to go up against each other

Mulholland Drive and Spirited Away get my vote here.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Agreed. It's such a beautiful film. I was always under the impression that Miyazaki's films were widely viewed and loved over here. Our local theater chain has been showing one of his films every month for this past year.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following two titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Gladiator (60.00%)
    2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (52.00%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Mulholland Drive (32.00%)
    2. Spirited Away (24.00%)

Country
    Country Flag

This turned out to be a very unfortunate group. Eternal Sunshine, Mulholland Drive, and Spirited Away are some of the best films of the decade, and all three should have gone on far into the playoffs. Alas...

This isn't right

+ Reply to Thread