Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Live Performances

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    this list is by no means complete, only what I can remember off the top of my head right now and not counting about a billion smaller acts that i could list but nobody would know who the hell i was talking about

Allman Brothers Band
    Grateful Dead
    Radiohead
    Marc Ribot
    Bob Dylan
    The Rolling Stones
    Jerry Garcia Band
    The Ramones
    Charlie Hunter
    Roger Waters
    Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band
    Phish
    Beastie Boys
    CAKE
    Medeski, Martin & Wood
    Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
    Steve Bernstein's Sex Mob
    Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
    Bela Fleck, Stanley Clarke & Jean-Luc Ponty
    Tori Amos
    Billy Joel
    Violent Femmes
    Black Flag
    Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
    Big Audio Dynamite
    Living Colour
    Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
    Antibalas
    Pearl Jam
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    George Clinton & P-Funk All-Stars
    They Might Be Giants
    Tenacious D
    Gov't Mule
    Jayson, you really need to get out more.
    funny thing is, i haven't seen nearly as much recently as i have in years past. radiohead in may will be only my 2nd show this year

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I hoping to catch them too.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I hoping to catch them too.
    the one show of theirs i saw in "03 was spectacular. i have much live RH on video/audio and it's like musical crack it's so damn addictive.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

R of G, how were Bela Fleck & the Flecktones? I would love to see them sometime.

I haven't seen too many:
    Dave Mattthews Band (gone every year since 98 with the exception of 2002, and 2004)
    Tori Amos
    Trans-Siberian Orchestra
    Tim Reynolds
    Sarah McLachlan
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Heather, in a word, phenomenal. We're talking about four extraordinary musicians, and in the case of Victor Wooten and Bela, two of the best in the world on their instruments. They mix things up a bit too. Bela usually gets a little mini solo set, Victor gets a long solo to play some killer bass which almost always features his beautiful versions of amazing grace. both bela and victor also like to throw in riffs from beatles' songs at random points which is always cool. jeff coffin [the sax player] does some parts playing two saxes at once a la rashaan roland kirk [who played 3 at once]. futureman [aka Roy Wooten] plays the drumitar, a device of his own creation which plays samples triggered by a keypad on a guitar shaped box, as well as a mini drum and percussion kit. overall it's a very entertaining show which i've seen twice.

if they come near you, i highly rec checking them out.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

My husband and daughter went to see Bela Fleck & The Flecktones. They really enjoyed it.

And Heather19, you are the only other one to mention TSO!!! Yay TSO!!! Awesome show.

It makes me sad to think that kids today really can't go see the shows like I did. Too darned expensive. My list was pretty long and it isn't even close to all the shows I saw. (Of course I do count the shows that I had the ticket stub for but for some strange reason don't remember the show at all..... like Head East..... and Black Sabbath with Dio..... )

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm going to have to check them out the next time they come to my area. I've really been wanting to see them for a long time.

And Telynn, TSO does put on an amazing show. I've seen them the past 2 years, and can't wait till their tour next year. I'm just hoping next year, it's closer to christmastime. Last year it was the beginning of november, one of the first shows of the tour, and it was kinda strange to be listening to christmas music before Thanksgiving. Nonetheless, it was still a great show.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

we just found out Built to Spill is playing in St Petersburg [1/2 hr from here] this Thursday so I will be seeing them for a second time, and this time I don't have to drive 6 hours to Atlanta!!! I know what I'll be listening to the rest of today.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

we just found out Built to Spill is playing in St Petersburg [1/2 hr from here] this Thursday so I will be seeing them for a second time, and this time I don't have to drive 6 hours to Atlanta!!! I know what I'll be listening to the rest of today.
    Sweet, I've always wanted to see them. I have a few live recordings from their tour with Modest Mouse. (Back in 2000 I think).
    I'm also jealous that you got to see Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros.

I'm hoping to catch Radiohead again this summer when they play Chicago. That would be my 4th time. The don't tour often enough to justify missing a show if they play in the area.

Built to Spill put on a great show when we saw them a couple years ago in Atl. so I am hoping for another good show tomorrow. As for Strummer, I am a huge Clash fan so that was one of my highlights. I also so Big Audio Dynamite with Mick Jones, so if I could manage to ever see Paul Simonon, I could at least have seen all three core members of the Clash.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow! I used to go to loads of concerts - not so much anymore - it's a bitch getting old! The memorable ones that I remember include:
    • The Who
    • Eric Clapton
    • Humble Pie
    • Black Oak Arkansas - as backup band to Humble Pie
    • ZZ Top
    • Ted Nugent
    • The Beach Boys
    • Bachman Turner Overdrive
    • The Allmond Brothers - 650,000 people at The Concert at Watkins Glen
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd
    • The Band - 650,000 people at The Concert at Watkins Glen
    • The Greatful Dead - 650,000 people at The Concert at Watkins Glen
    • New Riders of the Purple Sage - The Lawrence (KS) Opera House
    • The Preservation Hall Jazz band - youngest member was 65 yrs old
    • Pat Benatar
    • Cindi Lauper
    • Emerson, Lake and Palmer - probably the best show I ever went to!!!!
    • Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    • Steppenwolf - in a bar venue with less than 100 people
    • REO Speedwagon - at Vasser when it was an all-girls college!
    • Yes
    • Kansas
    • Boston
    • Blackfoot - as hard they get!
    • Styx
    • Santana
    • Uriah Heap
    • Warren Zevon - I actually first met WZ at a bar in maui before he got famous!
    • Pink Floyd
    • Jethro Tull
    • Chicago
    • Loggins & Mesinna
    • The Moody Blues
    • Fleetwood Mac
    • The Beatles
    • The Rolling Stones
    • Huey Lewis & the News
    • CSN&Y
    • Neil Young
    • Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
    • Mountain
    • Woodstock - too many to list!
    • Melanie
    • Led Zeppelin
    • Neil Diamond - met him and his producer at Motel i worked at right after they signed contract for The Jazz Singer - got a $50 tip for washing the producer's car!
    • Rolling Stones
    • The Hollies
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Wow! I used to go to loads of concerts - not so much anymore - it's a bitch getting old! The memorable ones that I remember include:
    • The Who
    • Eric Clapton
    • Humble Pie
    • Black Oak Arkansas - as backup band to Humble Pie
    • ZZ Top
    • Ted Nugent
    • The Beach Boys
    • Bachman Turner Overdrive
    • The Allmond Brothers - 650,000 people at The Concert at Watkins Glen
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd
    • The Band - 650,000 people at The Concert at Watkins Glen
    • The Greatful Dead - 650,000 people at The Concert at Watkins Glen
    • New Riders of the Purple Sage - The Lawrence (KS) Opera House
    • The Preservation Hall Jazz band - youngest member was 65 yrs old
    • Pat Benatar
    • Cindi Lauper
    • Emerson, Lake and Palmer - probably the best show I ever went to!!!!
    • Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    • Steppenwolf - in a bar venue with less than 100 people
    • REO Speedwagon - at Vasser when it was an all-girls college!
    • Yes
    • Kansas
    • Boston
    • Blackfoot - as hard they get!
    • Styx
    • Santana
    • Uriah Heap
    • Warren Zevon - I actually first met WZ at a bar in maui before he got famous!
    • Pink Floyd
    • Jethro Tull
    • Chicago
    • Loggins & Mesinna
    • The Moody Blues
    • Fleetwood Mac
    • The Beatles
    • The Rolling Stones
    • Huey Lewis & the News
    • CSN&Y
    • Neil Young
    • Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
    • Mountain
    • Woodstock - too many to list!
    • Melanie
    • Led Zeppelin
    • Neil Diamond - met him and his producer at Motel i worked at right after they signed contract for The Jazz Singer - got a $50 tip for washing the producer's car!
    • Rolling Stones
    • The Hollies
    God you are showing your age having seen the Beatles , wow lucky you. Mountain too, thats one band I would love to see live. Leslie West is one brilliant guitarist. Just had Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain playing yesterday or the day before. Lucky git.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blackrose22 View Post
    God you are showing your age having seen the Beatles , wow lucky you. Mountain too, thats one band I would love to see live. Leslie West is one brilliant guitarist. Just had Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain playing yesterday or the day before. Lucky git.
    You're only as old as you feel - somedays I feel like I am still that long haired hippie from the 60's! Then I look in the mirror and remember how old I really am! :-)

I still love to sit in the car alone and crank up the volume to some hard rock! My wife, who never really got into music at all, thinks I am nuts! Certain songs seem to teleport you back in time to the period when you first heard the specific song. Like when I hear The Cars "Just What I Needed", I am teleported to 1981 Lawrence, Kansas where I went to college (I was old for college by the way); and when I here "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog" by Three Dog Night, I am immediately transported to the kitchen at Kentucky Friend Chicken in the New york Adirondacks where I slaved as a 17 year old fry cook in 1970!

It's amazing what music can do!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Gunslinger Apprentice Samanthita is on a distinguished road

The only bands I've seen that people might know about are Rilo Kiley, Murder By Death, The Blood Brothers and Bright Eyes.

For about 2 years of my life I was always travelling and going to shows put on by small local bands or somewhat popular bands within a certian music scene. Usually I'd one or two shows, average 3 bands each, every weekend. That's a lot. Mostly hardcore/metal and folk punk. Odd combination, yes. I saw Plan-It-X fest twice, and I really want to go down to Gainsville, they do a 3 day thing called "The Fest" every year.

I've always preferred the small venues run by some 22 year old kid to the huge concert halls filled with hundreds of people. It seems more personal to me. I can pay $5 to see a few bands and meet some interesting people, or I can pay a ridiculous amount to see some huge band that probably doesn't even have the orginal line up anymore. No contest.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Plan-it-X!
    I wish I hadn't missed the fest before they moved from Bloomington.

I'm a big fan of Operation Cliff Clavin(too bad they have been gone for some time), Devil is Electric and This Bike is a Pipe Bomb. I never got to see any of them live, though DIE and Against Me! played a show close to where I used to live a long time ago.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Plan-it-X!

I'm a big fan of Operation Cliff Clavin(too bad they have been gone for some time), Devil is Electric and This Bike is a Pipe Bomb. I never got to see any of them live, though DIE and Against Me! played a show close to where I used to live a long time ago.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing Against Me! at Bonnaroo. I was rather shocked to see them in the line up this year.

Ehh... as far as what i've seen
    Dave Matthews Band - several times
    Sevendust - several times
    Breaking Benjamin
    Cheap Trick
    Cake
    Skynard
    Screaming Cheatahs
    Days of the New
    Whoever played Bonnaroo 2005...
    Last edited by what; 03-05-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: i'm slow

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Against Me opened for Foo Fighters. They were good, much better than I was expecting a first opening band to be.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Against Me! has changed so much from when I used to be really into them. They were still releasing stuff on plan-it-x back when I really started listening to them. They have a song called "What We Worked For" that is amazing. When I listen to the lyrics to that song and then think about how you can find them on compilation CDs at Wal-Mart and such, it makes me sad, but they are still a good band.

Here's the lyrics for reference:

Lost the confidence to write a song,
    So I found three simple chords
    And held them together with my weak voice
    On an out of tune guitar
    My father gave to me.

May Elvis turn in his grave
    And Les Paul kiss my dirty, calloused fingers
    And may the likes of this song never make
    One fucking dollar,
    leave it for a demo tape
    To be played until it's broken,
    Then remembered only for what it was.

That we gave them hell
    That we gave them hell
    That we gave them hell

That we gave them hell
    That we gave them hell
    That we gave them hell

To my friends and enemies who could of been anything,
    Titans and heroes who found survival in cause and effect.
    Behind counters,
    Behind windows,
    Striving just
    To be people
    With bitter ideals of justice.
    Do we only need to keep working because it pays rent?
    Sleeping under plastic stars glued to ceiling,
    Muscles burning alcohol and nicotine
    Every morning.

But we gave them hell
    But we gave them hell
    But we gave them hell

But we gave them hell
    But we gave them hell
    But we gave them hell

There's a height beyond skyscrapers,
    There's a distance beyond the freeway,
    More than pictures in a magazine,
    More than tragedy in a rock and roll song.
    It's more than actions you know are safe to make.
    It's more than money could ever buy.
    Are we working to live and die in american cities,
    living to work and die in american cities, and dying for what we worked.

They just sort of seemed to lose that diy ethic presented in this song when they moved on to bigger label stuff. I still enjoy their stuff, but it is much different now.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrose22 View Post
    You're only as old as you feel - somedays I feel like I am still that long haired hippie from the 60's! Then I look in the mirror and remember how old I really am! :-)

I still love to sit in the car alone and crank up the volume to some hard rock! My wife, who never really got into music at all, thinks I am nuts! Certain songs seem to teleport you back in time to the period when you first heard the specific song. Like when I hear The Cars "Just What I Needed", I am teleported to 1981 Lawrence, Kansas where I went to college (I was old for college by the way); and when I here "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog" by Three Dog Night, I am immediately transported to the kitchen at Kentucky Friend Chicken in the New york Adirondacks where I slaved as a 17 year old fry cook in 1970!

It's amazing what music can do!
    I know exactly what you mean CRinVA sometimes when a song you hear on the radio can bring back memories that can put a smile on your face or sometimes make you cringe (memories of ex girlfriends especially). Sometimes it can make you sad too as every time I hear Dancing In the Moonlight by Thin Lizzy it brings back the memory of hearing the song on the radio and the DJ then dedicating to the late Phil Lynott who had just passed away earlier that day. As Lizzy were and still are my fave band it knock me for six and made me cry. But I still love the song.
    Gigs, friends, music and beer thats what it's all about . Rock 'n' Roll

Gunslinger Apprentice Samanthita is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Plan-it-X!

I saw it in '05 when they toured. Gainesville and Tampa. Both were awesome. This Bike is A Pipebomb played, but I guess one of the members was sick and another was taking care of him, so every song they played some random member of another band would jump on stage and play. It was pretty cool. I never saw Against Me! but I met one of the guy's brother outside of a club in Gainesville. He killed a bug for me because his friend refused to on the grounds that it was a living thing. Random story of the day.

I've seen Definacnce, Ohio 4 times and they are by far my favorite live. The energy from them and the crowd is amazing. So much fun.

Defiance, Ohio is great. I haven't seen them live, but pretty much all of those bands seem to have fun shows. I haven't been to any shows in years, mostly not ince i moved away from my hometown and stopped playing in the band that I was in. I just can't even find the time for it anymore.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Built to Spill put on a great show when we saw them a couple years ago in Atl. so I am hoping for another good show tomorrow. As for Strummer, I am a huge Clash fan so that was one of my highlights. I also so Big Audio Dynamite with Mick Jones, so if I could manage to ever see Paul Simonon, I could at least have seen all three core members of the Clash.
    You could always catch Simonon in The Good, the Bad & the Queen...

Mick Jones also has a new band, they just released an album a few months ago. I forget the name, but my boss brought it into work so we could listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    You could always catch Simonon in The Good, the Bad & the Queen...
    i could, but it would purely be to say i've seen simonon as i don't really enjoy that project at all. jones' new project i have yet to hear.

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Morrissey is great live...

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I one saw Bambi and her donkey perform live once...wait...that's not what this thread is about is it?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast