Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: San Francisco Meet-Up

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's a no-go for me in the meet up but have fun. Also . . . Those of you going to Metallica enjoy. If they can top The Ecstasy of Gold opening from part one I would be shocked. Let us know how it goes.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I cannot wait to hear that song! It sounded amazing with the orchestra in S&M1

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It’s killing me that I can’t join you tomorrow. Have a great time!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Would love to hear from attendees how the concert was, how the eateries they visited were, how was their experience in SF, and if the runway shutdown caused them any delays.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I’be been meaning to do this, so thanks for the nudge. The weekend was great! We stayed at the Marriott Fisherman’s Wharf. Nice hotel... not too fancy, but it’s close to the Wharf without being too close to the touristy area. Plus, it’s easy walking distance to Ghirardelli and Buena Vista Social Club, which was perfect for breakfast on Saturday! For dinners, we went to The Stinky Rose, which was unique and tasty. Saturday was a Napa day, and we ended up in Sausalito for dinner. Scola had great food and even better views!

Sunday started with a ferry to Alcatraz. I had been there several years ago, so it was great seeing the prison again. Then it was off to Haight to bum around while my wife shopped.

Sunday night was Metallica. Traffic was difficult getting there... even for the Lyft driver that was constantly rerouted. When we got to the Chase Center around 6:30, we walked around outside and then finally got inside. Overall, for a $1.5B facility, it was unimpressive. The concourses were way to narrow for the crowds. Food and drink was ungodly expensive. Beers were $11 each! When we sat down at our seats, not all of them had cup holders. Maybe I’m biased because Milwaukee has the new Fiserv Forum, but I definitely preferred that to the Chase.

The concert itself was phenomenal. Sat right behind the soundboard, so it sounded perfect. The arrangements that were written sounded perfect alongside Metallica. Being a Club show, I talked to people from England, Germany, and Argentina. Since this was a once-in-20-years concert, I am so glad I made the trip.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

When you went to Buena Vista were you seated at a table with people you didn't know? If so, did it end up being fun, and did you have the famous Irish Coffee?

Sorry about the pricing, but $11 for a beer is the going rate out here for a beer at a concert/sporting event. Always best to eat and drink before going into the event.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    When you went to Buena Vista were you seated at a table with people you didn't know? If so, did it end up being fun, and did you have the famous Irish Coffee?

Sorry about the pricing, but $11 for a beer is the going rate out here for a beer at a concert/sporting event. Always best to eat and drink before going into the event.
    We ended up sitting at a two-person table. Since we were wine-tasting, we stuck to regular coffee. Even so, it was fun watching the regulars that were in there catching up over Irish Coffees.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Dude, that's like going to The Field of Dreams and staying in your car in the lot, like not having sex on your wedding night, like reading your very first King novel on an e-device, like going to Yosemite national park, and staying in your room the whole time, like going to Alcatraz but staying on the boat, like going to San Francisco's Fisherman's wharf and not having Boudin bakery sourdough bread, like...(someone feel free to add more axamples)

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe... but it was 8am, we had an hour drive to Napa, and the palette had to be ready for wine. The breakfast itself was still tasty.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad you had fun on your trip, Brian!. Don’t mind Jerome, you’ll just need to visit again. I hope to meet you then.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone in Boston over the w/e of 21/22nd September? I have a business trip planned that takes me from Detroit to Cambridge MA, so I have a free weekend in Boston.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Glad you had fun on your trip, Brian!. Don’t mind Jerome, you’ll just need to visit again. I hope to meet you then.
    Thanks Patrick! I’ll be back... just not right away. I’ve taken two trips to the Bay Area and one to SoCal... and that’s just in the last six months!

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I will be in the Bay area Oct 6-12
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

My flight from the connection in Charlotte to SFO was delayed by 2.5 hours due to the runway closure. We also had a head wind which made the flight 1/2 hour longer than the return flight. My nephew A. J. was also delayed by 1.5 hours from San Diego. He was waiting for me when I finally arrived.

Florida temps were in the mid-nineties. SF was 70°. Nice!

We decided to take the BART train - ~$20 round trip - from SFO to near our hotel at the Hilton Union Center. Powell Station is only a couple of city blocks from the Hilton. That went well.

Our hotel was nice. My nephew is a diamond member at Hilton. They upgraded our room to a room on the 31st floor with a view of the bay. I could see Coit Tower, part of the Golden Gate bridge, and Fisherman's Wharf I couldn't see the venue or at least I didn't recognize it.

We had planned to go to a brew pub called Bartlett Hall to meet up with Jerome. With the delays in travel that didn't happen. A. J. and I still wanted to go there and did so. It was only a couple of blocks from the hotel, so we walked there while avoiding the homeless sleeping on the sidewalks and smelling the bouquet of San Francisco; urine and marijuana. We enjoyed Barlett Hall. The ambiance was friendly, the server was nice and helpful, the food was good and the beers were mostly delicious (A. J. didn't like his 11.9% dessert beer.) We got there just before the place filled up which was nice.

We saw an interesting bar - Owl Tree - on the walk back to the hotel and decided to have a couple more beers. We were again just before the crowd. It seems there is a club upstairs and a bar downstairs. We sat at the bar and watched as one beautiful woman after another came in and went upstairs. My nephew is married and I'm a bit older than the crowd so we went back to the hotel.

Sunday breakfast at the hotel. The eggs Benedict weren't very good. The rest of the buffet was fabulous.

We decided to take the Muni bus to Golden Gate Park to view the Ed Hardy exhibit at the M. H. de Young Memorial Museum. Ed Hardy is a tattoo artist that incorporated military tattoos with Japanese tattoo motifs. While waiting to pay for the ticket the agent looked at A. J. and could see tattoos on his forearms. She said, "I can see you have tattoos." Then looking at me she asked if I had any? I said, "Never in my life." She again looked at A. J. and said, "You get $5 off." I said, "Well I have a tattoo, but I can't show it in public." She laughed and told me I already had my chance and would have to pay full price. There is also a huge amount of art that is on permanent display. The place is huge.

Native "American" art...

California has legal recreational marijuana. I didn't think about that until Sunday. The stores in San Francisco are closed on Sunday.

We wanted to go to Tu Lan which Tim suggested. That was also closed on Sunday.

Instead A. J. looked up Asian food places and found a place that ranked 85 out of 4000. Mandalay is a Burmese food place. It's nothing fancy, but the food is delicious. Friendly staff too. We used the Muni buses for free with our Metallica tickets. Not that the bus driver cared if we had paid or not.

We headed back to the hotel to prepare for the concert. I bought two six packs from the corner liquor store. $12 and 12.50 for premium six packs. $.10 for the bag.

We rested and drank beers until we figured it was time to go. There is a Muni train that runs from Powell Station to the Chase Center and back. We took that both ways. We arrived at the venue ~45 minutes early. Enough time to see that I would wait to buy a shirt. I didn't see any $11 beers. They were ~$16 for a premium beer. Having drank a few earlier we didn't have to overindulge at the venue. We still bought three beers each, so ~$90 for beer.

The venue is nice. A bit crowded when everyone is in the halls.

Metallica and the symphony were incredible! I was blown away by how well they played their instruments and how well James sang. It's like they've been practicing.

They had several Muni trains stacked up waiting after the show. The trains have their own lanes but must stop at every red light. They don't move much faster than auto traffic.

Monday morning and I had the omelet this time and complimentary Mimosas. Delicious.

There wasn't much time after breakfast. Packing up and heading home. All flights ran on time. On Sunday there were four hour departure delays. I lucked out for a change and had on-time flights on both legs on Monday.

I arrived locally at midnight. My friend picked me up at the airport with my dog. He was very happy to see me and wouldn't stop kissing me. My dog that is, not my friend.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha! Sounds like a fun time, Brian.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice seats, Brian. This was our view from Sec 125 behind the soundboard.

Such an amazing concert! Even though I got a Warriors/Metallica shirt there (to complement my Bucks one), I just ordered a hoodie and another shirt from the show. I also collect picks, but since they weren’t thrown to the crowd in mass quantities, prices are ridiculous on eBay right now.

Jerome - Thanks for the travel tips. They helped make for a great weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3