Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the Rings on Amazon Prime

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I think this is going to be a trainwreck.

First, it's not Lord of the Rings, it's The Silmarillion.

What has captived the world for decades about the Lord of the Rings is the fairly straightforward story. Good versus evil. Take ring, destroy. Obviously, the theme of the seemingly weak and insignificant accomplishing something extraordinary is significant. Frodo and his Hobbit friends were easy to root for.

It's still early, but unless the new show has a tight story, I don't see it resonating with mainstream TV fans, which is what made the films popular to begin with. Many people who adored the films hadn't even heard of the books when Fellowship was released in theaters.
    I gotta agree with you here. Good assessment
    I think I've revised my thoughts on this series. As you say it will depend on the story. The back story on the rings and the "Big Baddie" is not bad and will be interesting to viewers who haven't read the material even though it was heavily inspired by, Miltions' "paradise Lost". There's a great story just in how, Isildur cuts the ring off, Sauron and the events that lead up to the battle. And of course the story behind, Sauron and, Melkor.

In my opinion the series will depend on how much they honor the original, Tolkien history/story. Can't wait to see what they have done with it. I'm cautiously optimistic about this series. That trailer backs me up so far, IMHO.

"Foundation" was also visually stunning and well acted but they certainly played loose and fancy free with the original material. Some was good and some of it drove you a little nuts if you have read the original books. For instance, it took them the entire 8 episodes to get to the first "Seldon Crisis". The trailer for "Ring of Power" is very much like the one for, "Foundation" . Don't get me wrong, I went into the series knowing they would have to spice up the source material which reads a little dry for a TV series.

We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, give the "Foundation" a shot. The books were, and still are (along with "Dune", a classic staple for virtually all Science fiction and a wealth of material that has inspired so much Sci-Fi that followed. Most notably "Star Wars" which has bits of "Foundation" and "Dune" scattered through out the "Star Wars" universe.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/l...te-1235181646/
    “The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim” — the original anime feature from New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Animation — is set for release on April 12, 2024 from Warner Bros. Pictures, Variety can report exclusively.

Set roughly two centuries before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings,” “The War of the Rohirrim” will explore the exploits of Helm Hammerhand, the King of Rohan, and the creation of Helm’s Deep, the stronghold featured in Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.”

Kenji Kamiyama (the TV series “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” and “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex”) is directing with “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” producer Joseph Chou through his anime studio Sola Entertainment, which has been working on the film since it was announced in June 2021.

As can be seen in this exclusive first look at conceptual art from the film, “The War of the Rohirrim” is also drawing much of its creative DNA from Jackson’s six features set in Middle-earth. Philippa Boyens, who was part of the Oscar-winning screenwriting team for “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” trilogies, is executive producing the film. Phoebe Gittins, Boyens’ daughter, and writing partner Arty Papageorgiou are penning the screenplay based on a script from Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews. And the creative team includes Richard Taylor (who won Oscars for makeup and visual effects for “The Lord of the Rings”), Alan Lee (who won an Oscar for art direction for “LOTR”), and Tolkien illustrator John Howe.

Voice cast announcements are expected soon.

“I’m in awe of the creative talent who have come together to bring this epic, heart-pounding story to life, from the mastery of Kenji Kamiyama to a truly stellar cast,” Boyens says.

“The ‘Lord of the Rings’ films took Tolkien’s masterwork to new cinematic heights and inspired a generation,” said Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich. “It’s a gift to be able to revisit Middle-earth with many of the same creative visionaries and the talented Kenji Kamiyama at the helm. This will be an epic portrayal unlike anything audiences have ever seen.”

Warner Bros.’ movement on the anime “Lord of the Rings” film comes at a time when the studio is in a dispute with the Saul Zaentz Co., the longtime owner of “LOTR” film and TV rights, over whether Warner Bros. has done enough development on the franchise to maintain its hold on live-action and animated film rights. Variety reported last week that Zaentz Co. is putting its Tolkien holdings on the block, which spurred questions about “LOTR” activity within Warner Bros.

The last live-action Tolkien film, 2014’s “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies,” grossed $940 million worldwide; all six films have earned over $5.8 billion. “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” won 11 Oscars, including best picture, tying the record for a single movie.

“The War of the Rohirrim” is also totally separate from Amazon Prime Video’s Middle-earth series “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power,” which is set millennia before the events of Jackson’s movies.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Definitely a lot of potential in such an adaptation.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Honestly, after that trailer, I'm fucking hyped.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Another one scheduled for the 15th!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hopefully will see the panel at Comic Con for this!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That new trailer is spicy. I dig it.

Is that supposed to be Morgoth? (never read Silmarillion)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    That new trailer is spicy. I dig it.

Is that supposed to be Morgoth? (never read Silmarillion)
    It's been a minute since I read the Silmarillion, so don't shoot me if my memory is off.
    Spoiler:
    At first glance you'd think, Morgoth since he was Saurons' master (like Darth Vader to the Emperor, hmmm. lol) but if they're picking it up where I think they are it's more likely to be, Sauron (The shot of the hand clicked for me with the, Jackson version of him when he is fighting, Isildur. As I recall, Morgoth actually was a kinda in the shadows guy and had recently lost his bid to rule the world.

That's when, Sauron got busy crafting the One Ring and putting the bulk of his power into it as well. Obviously, Amazon has massaged the source material to make it cool with movie goers in 2022 but, the plot of the, Silmarillion really follows the the canon of, Paradise Lost with a dash of, Dante's Inferno. It looks very well produced. Let's just hope they took a cue from. Jackson and stayed true to the source material and appendices. I know I'm looking forward to it.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Is anyone concerned about the fact that this series will air at the same time as House of the Dragon? I feel like it might be fantasy overload. Don't get me wrong, it's going to be a glorious few weeks for TV fans.

Do we know if the Lord of the Rings series will release all at once?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is anyone concerned about the fact that this series will air at the same time as House of the Dragon? I feel like it might be fantasy overload. Don't get me wrong, it's going to be a glorious few weeks for TV fans.

Do we know if the Lord of the Rings series will release all at once?
    They said at COmic Con.. weekly
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

less than a month away!

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Man, I sure hope they didn't make this one of Hollywoods' new "Woke" renditions like so many of the new works. Talk about a "fantasy" film, IMHO that would ruin the source materialfor me anyway. Still, I'm looking forward to this the trailers look amazing!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Man, I sure hope they didn't make this one of Hollywoods' new "Woke" renditions like so many of the new works. Talk about a "fantasy" film, IMHO that would ruin the source material for me anyway. Still, I'm looking forward to this the trailers look amazing!!
    In a series with orcs, elves, wizards, ogres, trolls, warlocks, spirits etc., - having human actors with slightly more skin pigmentation appear is going to break your immersion?

Seriously?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Man, I sure hope they didn't make this one of Hollywoods' new "Woke" renditions like so many of the new works. Talk about a "fantasy" film, IMHO that would ruin the source material for me anyway. Still, I'm looking forward to this the trailers look amazing!!
    In a series with orcs, elves, wizards, ogres, trolls, warlocks, spirits etc., - having human actors with slightly more skin pigmentation appear is going to break your immersion?

Seriously?
    Look. I do not have any issue with, race, sexual identity or, sexual orientation. You do what you do best to make you happy. Hollywood on the other hand has (IMHO) been shoving that agenda down our throats lately. They need to lighten up a bit and try to be more natural about it. The LOTR series is loosely based on the British Isle (his frame of reference for Middle Earth) in the time of, King Arthur. That setting is not conducive to today's standards. Sure adding some folks of color works somewhat but, I doubt that was the authors vision when he wrote it and I prefer films to remain as faithful as possible to the source material. That's just my opinion.

As far has skin pigmentation and sexual orientation goes I don't really care. It's all good in my opinion. I prefer to categorize folks as good people, folks on the internet and Assholes. That's what really matters, no? lol

Spoiler:
    Oh, I forgot a category, Major Flaming Assholes!!! I've run into my share of those over the years!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The term woke is so overplayed by now. It's lost all meaning.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

The term woke is so overplayed by now. It's lost all meaning.
    That sounds like something a woke person would say. /s

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I feel like my initial theory might be somewhat valid. Rings of Power airing at the same time as House of the Dragon might not be a great thing. I've heard a ton of buzz about HoD, but I've barely heard anyone talk about Rings of Power.

Personally, I was disappointed with the first episode. The second was more enjoyable and that might be because there's less Galadriel in it. I think the actress playing her is dreadful. She's so blah and expressionless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast