Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the Rings on Amazon Prime

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Lord of the Rings on Amazon Prime

Not sure if we had a thread on this (I checked and I couldn't find anything). Felt like it was about time.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/p...e-rings-series
    Jeff Bezos has been gunning for a massive, Game of Thrones-style tentpole for Amazon's streaming service since 2017, but so far, all it's cranked out are weird, baffling, and periodically brilliant shows that barely even try to garner Thrones-level mainstream success. But that's all about to change. Amazon has poured millions into a Lord of the Rings TV series, reportedly spending $200 million on the rights alone.

But it turns out that the massive buyout still comes with some strings attached—because the J.R.R. Tolkien estate has some very specific rules about what can and cannot happen in the show, Slashfilm reports.

Tom Shippey, a Tolkien scholar who has been working with Amazon to develop the series, sat down for an interview with a German fansite called Deutsche Tolkien recently and spelled out all the estate's stipulations for the upcoming series—namely, that it better stay canon, or else.

The Tolkien Estate will insist that the main shape of the Second Age is not altered. Sauron invades Eriador, is forced back by a Númenorean expedition, is returns to Númenor. There he corrupts the Númenoreans and seduces them to break the ban of the Valar. All this, the course of history, must remain the same. But you can add new characters and ask a lot of questions, like: What has Sauron done in the meantime? Where was he after Morgoth was defeated? Theoretically, Amazon can answer these questions by inventing the answers, since Tolkien did not describe it. But it must not contradict anything which Tolkien did say. That’s what Amazon has to watch out for. It must be canonical, it is impossible to change the boundaries which Tolkien has created, it is necessary to remain “tolkienian.”

Apparently, the estate has pretty firm guidelines about when the show can take place, too:

The First and Third Ages are ‘off-limits’, you can’t have the First Age. Events could be mentioned at the most if they explain the events of the Second Age. But if it is not described or mentioned in the Lord of the Rings or in the appendices, they probably cannot use it. So the question is to what extent they may hint at events that took place, for example, in the First Age, but still continue to affect the Second Age. There are several maps authorized by Tolkien, not just the ones we are familiar with, and some of those maps have places on them which are not in the other maps. But if Tolkien authorized them then that’s okay. So it’s a bit of a minefield. You have to tread very carefully but at the same time there is quite a lot of scope for interpretation and free invention.

Basically, that meant that if you've been waiting for a Tom Bombadil spinoff, uh, you're going to have to keep waiting.

Along with these narrative details, the guy also shared some information about the show itself. According to Shippey, the first season of Lord of the Rings will be a whopping 20 episodes long—quite a few given the amount of money Amazon is throwing into this thing. The show is still in development, but it's supposed to go into production in 2020 and presumably hit Amazon at some point during the next couple years. At least it'll be here sooner than the third season of Fleabag.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My body is ready.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this is going to be a trainwreck.

First, it's not Lord of the Rings, it's The Silmarillion.

What has captived the world for decades about the Lord of the Rings is the fairly straightforward story. Good versus evil. Take ring, destroy. Obviously, the theme of the seemingly weak and insignificant accomplishing something extraordinary is significant. Frodo and his Hobbit friends were easy to root for.

It's still early, but unless the new show has a tight story, I don't see it resonating with mainstream TV fans, which is what made the films popular to begin with. Many people who adored the films hadn't even heard of the books when Fellowship was released in theaters.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm not even sure if they have rights to any part of The Silmarillion.

There are three main sources of Second Age material that they might be able to draw from - the Akallabêth chapter from The Silmarillion, the Second Age material from The Lord of the Rings Appendices, and the Second Age material from Unfinished Tales. I suppose they could also draw from The History of Middle Earth, but I think that's unlikely. The only source I've seen mentioned that they can draw from is the Appendices - but information has been scarce and vague.

This could get very, very dicey indeed. The temptation for Amazon to plunder the First Age tales in order to "explain" the Second Age tales that they legally have the rights to will be irresistible. The First Age tales have a gravitas and pathos that the Second Age tales lack.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

What has captived the world for decades about the Lord of the Rings is the fairly straightforward story. Good versus evil. Take ring, destroy. Obviously, the theme of the seemingly weak and insignificant accomplishing something extraordinary is significant. Frodo and his Hobbit friends were easy to root for.

It's still early, but unless the new show has a tight story, I don't see it resonating with mainstream TV fans, which is what made the films popular to begin with. Many people who adored the films hadn't even heard of the books when Fellowship was released in theaters.
    I gotta agree with you here. Good assessment
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/stat...55647106617359
    On September 2, 2022, a new journey begins.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

All due respect but, that's it? lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't wait!

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Almost 3 years since you made this post, gotta ask - still feel the same way?

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I've little doubt it will look magnificent. The key will be in the writing. There's not a great deal of source material to draw from - particularly not much dialogue - so the writers will need to extrapolate a great deal. A lot depends on them.

I'm sure it will a An Event, with a lot of hype beforehand and a lot of online fervor during broadcast. Whether we will still be talking about it in five years - or in twenty, as with the movies - is another matter.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

I'm so glad you asked me that. I actually came here to kind of update my opinion on things.

In short, yes and no. No, I don't believe it will be a trainwreck, but yes I still have huge reservations. I don't think it's going to Game of Thrones and I don't think it's going to be a phenomenon like the films, but I also don't think it will be as bad as Wheel of Time. Now, I haven't seen that show, but it looks like something you would find on the Sci-fi channel.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

I'm so glad you asked me that. I actually came here to kind of update my opinion on things.

In short, yes and no. No, I don't believe it will be a trainwreck, but yes I still have huge reservations. I don't think it's going to Game of Thrones and I don't think it's going to be a phenomenon like the films, but I also don't think it will be as bad as Wheel of Time. Now, I haven't seen that show, but it looks like something you would find on the Sci-fi channel.
    It is. Is there a release date?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

September 2.

Country
    Country Flag

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I own a shitload of Tolkien that I have yet to read (I've only read The Hobbit and LOTR); I have like 18 months of reading to do to prep for this series.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not gonna lie, those production stills are stunning.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks amazing but, what are they doing for story? The Silmariliion?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ...what are they doing for story? The Silmariliion?
    From what I've heard, at the very least they've cobbled together bits from The Silmarillion and may have added further authentic JRRT background material (Middle-earth history as described in The Hobbit and LOTR and material from later releases The History of Middle-earth, Unfinished Tales, Great Tales set, etc.). I don't know if they've padded it out with their own additions (which would be terrible, but which I expect).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ...what are they doing for story? The Silmariliion?
    From what I've heard, at the very least they've cobbled together bits from The Silmarillion and may have added further authentic JRRT background material (Middle-earth history as described in The Hobbit and LOTR and material from later releases The History of Middle-earth, Unfinished Tales, Great Tales set, etc.). I don't know if they've padded it out with their own additions (which would be terrible, but which I expect).
    I thought there were rights issues with anything but, LOTR and The Hobbit. Maybe they finally ponyed up to the family (Christopher, I believe). While the trailer was amazing the story seemed somewhat outside Canon (?). IDK, I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to portraying books in film. Looks very good though I have to say and I'm looking forward to it as much as I did the "Foundation" series on Apple.

They really fucked with the source material on that one but, it still was alright story wise I suppose. Visually, production values etc, it was stunning. Just like how the ROP looked in the trailer.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

"While The Rings of Power isn’t based on any book per se, per Vanity Fair, it will take its inspiration from the vast backstory that J.R.R. Tolkien laid out in the appendices to the LOTR trilogy."

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    "While The Rings of Power isn’t based on any book per se, per Vanity Fair, it will take its inspiration from the vast backstory that J.R.R. Tolkien laid out in the appendices to the LOTR trilogy."
    Thanks, Bev. Pretty much what I figured. They won't be tied to any actual book. Very much like what was done with, "Foundation". That isn't necessarily a knock on the series. Those trailers look fucking awesome regardless. And it will be visually stunning I'm sure. Looks like they will be using the, Tolkien literature as an inspiration for the show.

I still can't wait for this to premiere!!!!! September feels like a really long time away!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast