Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 237 of 332 FirstFirst ... 137 187 227 235 236 237 238 239 247 287 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,925 of 8289

Thread: Joe Hill, Author

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Thanks, Dez! Most helpful .
    Anytime, my dear!
    Thanks to that damn doll; every time you post, I hear Talking Tina in my head!! Thinking Paul and I are going to need therapy, and lots of it!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    I'm about 150 pages into THE FIREMAN, and it's certainly not the barreling-down-the-tracks heap o' fun that NOS4A2 was, and I'm finding myself a little impatient with the book. So far it's been a lot of background, flickers of characters that come and go, and a lot of martial drama for the female protagonist...all stuff that would seem to have been able to be summed up in a few brief pages. It's now transitioning into a camp setting, and it just feels...flat. I love character development as much as the next guy and I'm all in for a slow-burn (if you'll excuse the pun) narrative...but this just seems a bit much as the female protagonist, frankly, isn't interesting enough thus far to carry that load, nor are there any other interesting characters to latch one's empathy upon. The mystery of the Fireman seems less a mystery and just yet another aberration among many (glowing people, etc.)...and a supernatural thriller without mystery, without wonder, is a rather uninspired read. I'm sticking with it, though, as Hill has never disappointed (though HORNS came close), and so has built up a lot of goodwill and confidence in his work with me. So I'm in for the long haul...I just hope it starts clicking pretty soon. Right now it just feels like an overly long, tired prologue to the Good Stuff, and comes across like a book that will be instantly forgettable. To be honest, I am truly stunned at my reaction at this book, as Hill is one of my favorite authors...but this one -- so far -- just isn't doing it for me. I sure hope that changes.

On a positive note, if my collectoritis allows me to do it, I may save myself a couple hundred dollars as my need to pick up the PS S/L has been dampened considerably.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I liked the first half of the book but found most of the rest was a bit of a grind.
    Oh jeez, don't say that...I was hoping the second half would be better. At about 275 pages now; less than halfway, I believe, and was muddling through with the expectation that it picks up. Now, oh boy...

To add to my thoughts above, I think part of the problem is that there is not yet any true conflict. I think my earlier reference to the story being "flat" was a reflection that, when all is said and done, there is no conflict yet. It's a group of people of just...doing things and worrying. The only tension and conflict was contained within a few pages about the history of Harold, but that passed all to quickly. I hope this story is going somewhere, because right now it just feels like a group of poorly defined characters meandering around, looking for a plot.
    Ended up somewhat speed-reading/skimming the last half, and was pleased to see that some true conflict entered into the picture. I won't say more than that to avoid any possible spoilers, but, for me, the second half was notably more rewarding than the first half. So while I'm glad I pressed on and completed the book, THE FIREMAN is definitely my least favorite of any of Joe's works (replacing HORNS, which now moves up in the pecking order). I had imagined Joe Hill + Stand-like apocalyptic themes as being a foolproof combo, so I come away from the book disappointed and, frankly, a bit stunned. I'm not sure what kind of book Joe was aiming for with this one, but -- for me -- it just didn't work. But my confidence in Hill isn't shaken...as I've mentioned before, he's built up too much goodwill with me with his other brilliant works, so I'm just going to look upon THE FIREMAN as an instance -- the exception to the rule -- where he and I just didn't gel.

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wicked cool doodle Brian! I'm happy for you and that was good of Chris to hook you up on one of his many stops. I think you'll be glad to start getting in to Hill some more. That was a nice list Dez posted for you and interesting to see what some of this stuff is going for now. I got real lucky on a couple of my gets by the looks of it!

(trying to rep the three of you but I still haven't "spread it around" enough. lol. So here's a pretty +1 )

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Who has read the first Tales From the Darkside issue? Thoughts?
    I ordered the regular/variant 8 issue set from SK Catalog so I won't be seeing it until the series is over but I'm excited for it! Loved this show as a kid so looking forward to seeing Hill's take on it.

Gunslinger Apprentice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For those of you who are still interested in Locke & Key, IDW limited now has a great offer for the limited black label Head Games at 50% off
    http://idwlimited.com/shop/locke-key...eid=1e38f8cbcc
    Looking for lettered Voluntary Committal (Subterranean)

If you collect Joe Hill, check out my website http://www.joehillbibliography.com/

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoL View Post
    For those of you who are still interested in Locke & Key, IDW limited now has a great offer for the limited black label Head Games at 50% off
    They also have the NOS4A2/Wraith combo for 112.50 - I skipped it last time someone had it for 99.00, so I'm deciding on whether or not I should get one now...

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    They also have the NOS4A2/Wraith combo for 112.50 - I skipped it last time someone had it for 99.00, so I'm deciding on whether or not I should get one now...
    If it's any help, I think it's a seriously well- thought out, designed and produced tome, and a definite bargain at close to $100. Isn't it Scream Press's Jeff Conner who does these for IDW now? If so, it shows.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    Tonight was the final stop on The Fireman Tour in South Portland, ME. Joe was a little late starting as he had an interview with our local NBC affiliate for a local show called "207". I will see if I can find out when it may air and if it will be available on line.

It went as most of the other events have but with the added bonus of Michael Koryta (crime and suspense author) and Izzy Skelton (Skelton Crew) being in the audience. koryta was brought up for the kazoo portion.

During the Q&A I was able to ask him a question. After pointing out that between he and his father they have made it very clear that any society that drinks Nozz-ola soda is prerty much boned, I asked if he had any concerens about including specific Dark Tower mythology into his novels. He said that he thought that he had reached a point in his life that since he had included so many of the other influences in his life into his writing, it felt natural to honor his fathers influence that way.

During the signing portion he recognized me from some of the other events and said I must be getting bored hearing all the same stories. I assured him that was not the case. . As he signed my 10th Anniversary 20th CG and my Smoke and Mirrors he said he had thought of reading a passage from Snapshot: 1980 (?) but that he couldn't find one that he felt would stand alone well enough.

Now, all this talking is happening with a pretty long line still behind me, and I realized that he was taking extra time to do a doodle in the Fireman that I was having done for Brian861. Okay, if he isn't in a hurry that's fine with me. I then asked if he had any information concerning the limited Fireman tha PS has been teasing us with. He said he thought it would be out this fall, perhaps late September and that he had seen most of the art and it was "friggin' amazing".

And yes Brian, I got your book signed and indeed, he took the time to do a doodle. It's one I haven't personally seen before, one of a pheonix, all in flames. I'm actually pretty goddam jealous.

All in all a nice end to the tour.
    Wow, Chris! First off, glad you had such a great experience and Joe took the extra time to chat you up. That's beyond cool! Secondly, I can't thank you enough for making the time and effort to get this done for me! So stoked to hear of the awesome doodle. Can't wait to see it. What makes it even more incredible is that the Phoenix has always had a special meaning to me. I fell in love with the image the first time The Bandit rolled the Trans Am out the back of that tractor-trailer. Later in life, I owned a '96 Trans Am; no Phoenix on the hood though. And my ebay user name is phoenixdown96 after that car. I feel like I just hit the lottery this early morning when I read this. And to top it off, yesterday afternoon, I received my signed UK copy from Alan!

I don't like to get too personal here because I feel it's really not the place. Even though I've still been able to make small book purchases, the last year has been really rough due to a lay off. So Alan and Chris, what you guys have done for me with these signings, I can't put into words the joy or appreciation I'm feeling right now. I believe David (Betts) had on his home page awhile back about how far a kind gesture or word can go. He was spot on and you guys delivered in a big way. Demonstrating complete selflessness in fore filling a fellow forum members request. I guy you both don't even know outside of what is seen and read here. Yes, Joe signs a ton of books and other things and it might not be that big of a deal outside of our little circle. But it's a huge deal to me. And in the end, that's all that matters. If there ever is anything I can do for you guys, please, don't hesitate to ask. I'm forever indebted to you both. Thanks again, guys! You truly

Was my pleasure, Brian. Any time my friend

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    If it's any help, I think it's a seriously well- thought out, designed and produced tome, and a definite bargain at close to $100. Isn't it Scream Press's Jeff Conner who does these for IDW now? If so, it shows.
    I agree, it is a beautifully done book. Buy it.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, what Dez said. Beautiful production at a great price. I got mine a few weeks a go. You won't regret it.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finished The Fireman last night.

I found the second half much more enjoyable than the first half. The story picked up pace and whilst I really liked the ending, I'd still rank this as my least favourite JH novel.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    Wicked cool doodle Brian! I'm happy for you and that was good of Chris to hook you up on one of his many stops. I think you'll be glad to start getting in to Hill some more. That was a nice list Dez posted for you and interesting to see what some of this stuff is going for now. I got real lucky on a couple of my gets by the looks of it!

(trying to rep the three of you but I still haven't "spread it around" enough. lol. So here's a pretty +1 )
    I guess you aren't a big enough of a hussy with the spreading it around thing, Bev I appreciate the pretty +1 all the same . And yes, that was really awesome of Chris to offer. Can't thank him enough. I'm still waiting to see the doodle when it arrives but I'm loving what I'm hearing about it so far! Really cool of Dez as well on the valuations .
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

I ordered the regular/variant 8 issue set from SK Catalog so I won't be seeing it until the series is over but I'm excited for it! Loved this show as a kid so looking forward to seeing Hill's take on it.
    I really enjoy. Too bad he's only doing four . After reading the first one, I was hoping for a lot more. Maybe he'll do some more down the line. There are five variants alone for issue #1 including the regular cover so far if you're into collecting them all. I'll post a pic below that was listed inside of the first issue. I'll eventually have 4 of the 5 once my eBay purchases come in. I was unaware of all the variants until I saw them inside the cover of the first issue. I haven't purchased a comic since probably early jr. high and it wasn't for collecting so completely in the dark with the comic thing for the most part. Starting with issue #2, I had my local mom and pop comic store reserve for me a set of all the variants that they will receive for the rest of the series. You might want to do the same if the variants are a must have.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post
    Was my pleasure, Brian. Any time my friend
    Appreciate that, brother!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I really enjoy. Too bad he's only doing four . After reading the first one, I was hoping for a lot more. Maybe he'll do some more down the line. There are five variants alone for issue #1 including the regular cover so far if you're into collecting them all. I'll post a pic below that was listed inside of the first issue. I'll eventually have 4 of the 5 once my eBay purchases come in. I was unaware of all the variants until I saw them inside the cover of the first issue. I haven't purchased a comic since probably early jr. high and it wasn't for collecting so completely in the dark with the comic thing for the most part. Starting with issue #2, I had my local mom and pop comic store reserve for me a set of all the variants that they will receive for the rest of the series. You might want to do the same if the variants are a must have.

SIGH. I should have known there would be a gazillion variants. Same with Wraith of which I have all of those. I am getting the regular and sub variants from SK Catalog so now I'm going to go on the hunt for these other ones. Thanks for sharing Brian and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the first issue!

P.S. I don't know if you saw in the earlier posts but there is a hardcover Scripts version of TFTD coming out in Oct I believe. You can pre order on Amazon or maybe your local mom and pop can reserve that as well but you KNOW you're gonna have to have it

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay people, I have the slipcased Sub Press NOS4A2/Wraith. Tell me why I need the IDW...(seriously I need to be talked into or out of it lol)and that is a good price!

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay people, I have the slipcased Sub Press NOS4A2/Wraith. Tell me why I need the IDW...(seriously I need to be talked into or out of it lol)and that is a good price!
    The Sub Press S/L edition did not come with Wraith. If you have the combined one, you may have ordered the IDW edition from Sub Press.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Sub Press S/L edition did not come with Wraith. If you have the combined one, you may have ordered the IDW edition from Sub Press.
    No, I have the Sub Press version. I'm at work so I can't double check but I'm pretty sure they included the Wraith novella? Regardless, the IDW version looks to be very nice edition. Just trying to decide if I need yet another one of this book. Lol

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

No, I have the Sub Press version. I'm at work so I can't double check but I'm pretty sure they included the Wraith novella? Regardless, the IDW version looks to be very nice edition. Just trying to decide if I need yet another one of this book. Lol
    I read Wraith separately and felt zero urge to buy the IDW one.

Country
    Country Flag

The IDW edition has the Wraith comic graphic novel, not the novella

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The IDW edition has the Wraith comic graphic novel, not the novella
    Ah! I see what you're saying now. Lol. Graphic novel as opposed to the novella itself. Hmmm....I have all of the comics and the h/c of the graphic so I'll have to think on whether or not I need the IDW version.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The Sub Press edition does indeed contain Wraith. It isn't included in the title, but it appears after NOS4A2.

"The Limited edition of NOS4A2 will be oversize, printed on 80# Finch, with an unpublished novella, “Wraith,” that was cut from the original manuscript. It also includes an alternate ending to the novel, as well as illustrations, in both black and white and color, by Hill’s long-term collaborator on the award-winning comic, Locke & Key, Gabriel Rodriguez." 750 limitation.

The IDW version is:
    • Limited to 999 copies
    • Limited-edition, custom-designed slipcase
    • Mounted signature page signed by author Joe Hill and C.P. Wilson III, also includes a small head sketch from the artist
    • Full-color dust jacket and a newly illustrated map of Christmasland featured as the end pages
    • Debossed cloth cover

The IDW edition is larger and heavier than the Sub Press edition. It's a nice book. You probably don't need it, but you know you need it. And that's a good price.

I'd also like to add that when my first copy of the IDW book arrived from Midtown Comics it was badly damaged. Midtown would only offer a small discount, or I could return it. IDW Limited replaced it for me for free, even though they didn't sell it to me. Since they published it, they wanted me to be satisfied.

edit: Sub Press = Novella & IDW = Graphic novel
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    The Sub Press edition does indeed contain Wraith. It isn't included in the title, but it appears after NOS4A2.

"The Limited edition of NOS4A2 will be oversize, printed on 80# Finch, with an unpublished novella, “Wraith,” that was cut from the original manuscript. It also includes an alternate ending to the novel, as well as illustrations, in both black and white and color, by Hill’s long-term collaborator on the award-winning comic, Locke & Key, Gabriel Rodriguez." 750 limitation.

The IDW version is:
    • Limited to 999 copies
    • Limited-edition, custom-designed slipcase
    • Mounted signature page signed by author Joe Hill and C.P. Wilson III, also includes a small head sketch from the artist
    • Full-color dust jacket and a newly illustrated map of Christmasland featured as the end pages
    • Debossed cloth cover

The IDW edition is larger and heavier than the Sub Press edition. It's a nice book. You probably don't need it, but you know you need it. And that's a good price.

I'd also like to add that when my first copy of the IDW book arrived from Midtown Comics it was badly damaged. Midtown would only offer a small discount, or I could return it. IDW Limited replaced it for me for free, even though they didn't sell it to me. Since they published it, they wanted me to be satisfied.

edit: Sub Press = Novella & IDW = Graphic novel
    I was referring to it not coming with the Graphic Novel, which is what made it different than the Sub Press copy. I should have been more clear.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I was referring to it not coming with the Graphic Novel, which is what made it different than the Sub Press copy. I should have been more clear.
    I got that now, hence my edit. I wasn't entirely clear either.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

I got that now, hence my edit. I wasn't entirely clear either.
    Lol, I'm glad it wasn't just me! Now we're all on the same page(pun intended )
    Thanks for the input guys! Brian is indeed correct(leave it to you to talk me into this ) it's not a MUST have since I have the Sub Press edition but it would be lax of me not to get this so I can indeed own both S/L editions and at a nice price to boot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 237 of 332 FirstFirst ... 137 187 227 235 236 237 238 239 247 287 ... LastLast