Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 332 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Hill, Author

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep. Used to listen to that whole album a lot back in the day.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice inertia1215 is on a distinguished road inertia1215's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been on a bit of a Joe Hill kick lately, I absolutely love his stuff. I can't remember the last time I connected with a writer so quickly.

Within the past month or so i've picked up,

Gunpowder
    The Saved
    Heart Shaped Box UK 1st
    Heart Shaped Box Sup Press Limited Signed
    Thumbprint (chapbook )
    signed 20th Century Ghosts 1st
    signed copy of Locke & Key Issue 2 1st print.

I'll post pics when I get more time, and when the last few arrive in the mail.
    In a book,in a box,high upon a shelf
    In a locked a guarded vault
    Are things I keep only for myself
    Its your fate,but its not your fault

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Got my Gunpowder today - #214!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats to you both!

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

UGH - I want a copy of Thumbprint!

Gunslinger Apprentice Kes is on a distinguished road Kes's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay...I haven't read any Hill yet, but I'm gathering from this thread that it's more than worth it. I have "Heart Shaped Box". Is that the right place to start?
    The wrath of the witch-burners is in direct proportion to the comeliness of the witch.
    Clark Ashton Smith

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    Okay...I haven't read any Hill yet, but I'm gathering from this thread that it's more than worth it. I have "Heart Shaped Box". Is that the right place to start?
    Yes, that's a great place to start, Kes.

I'd also recommend his book of short stories, 20th CENTURY GHOSTS, next.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts after you read the book. I think I am one of the very few on this board who hasn't bought into the Joe Hill thing yet. I picked up HEART SHAPED BOX off the remainder shelf at Barnes & Noble and wasn't really that impressed. Not bad but, personally, I don't see what the fuss is about.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I think I am one of the very few on this board who hasn't bought into the Joe Hill thing yet. I picked up HEART SHAPED BOX off the remainder shelf at Barnes & Noble and wasn't really that impressed. Not bad but, personally, I don't see what the fuss is about.
    You are not alone. I have read a few things by Hill and would not consider him to be a great story teller.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally I loved Heart Shaped Box, but I can see where it might not appeal to some. I thought his short story collection was phenomenal though. I just reread it and still think the same. They are some of the best short stories I've ever read...and I read alot of them.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Personally I loved Heart Shaped Box, but I can see where it might not appeal to some. I thought his short story collection was phenomenal though. I just reread it and still think the same. They are some of the best short stories I've ever read...and I read alot of them.
    I have to agree with Brice here. HSB was good, but Joe's short stuff is fantastic and fun. JMO of course.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed with the last 2. HSB was a good book, I did enjoy reading it. But 20th Century Ghost gave me chills at the end of damned near every story, and getting chills at all is rare for me. Even the ones that weren't "scary" left a lasting impression.

I also very much enjoyed his take on Kafka's The Metamorphosis

And Pop Art rocked
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

And I agree with the last 3, lol

I liked Heart-Shaped Box, but I was blown away by 20th Century Ghosts. The collection is what sealed it for me on being a Joe Hill fan.

Also of note, if you like comics Locke & Key is just a great original comic. I've been very impressed with it.
    Geoff

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    And I agree with the last 3, lol

I liked Heart-Shaped Box, but I was blown away by 20th Century Ghosts. The collection is what sealed it for me on being a Joe Hill fan.

Also of note, if you like comics Locke & Key is just a great original comic. I've been very impressed with it.
    Oh, I know I'm in the minority....like I said in my earlier post. And now I've probably prompted a hundred or so follow up posts saying "I agree with the last 56 posts" or whatever.

And furthering my "problem" is that I'm not really a comics fan. So I guess I am just not cut-out to be a Joe Hill fan. Ya'll enjoy.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I like him okay, but I agree with Carlos that the fuss is a little more than is deserved. He's entertaining, and he's local so it's fun to get signed first editions, but I have no memory of any of the stories.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

We won't fry y'all too much!

Just wait and see what happens with the next novel.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    ... Just wait and see what happens with the next novel.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

Gunslinger Apprentice inertia1215 is on a distinguished road inertia1215's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

finally got some of my pics uploaded thought i'd share a few for those of you who ARE Joe Hill fans

Country
    Country Flag

Default more pics....

sorry for the heavy pics, but I get excited!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

No need to apologize, Bill. Great stuff, congratulations!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Joe Hill fans - just an FYI : there's a one page "Up Close" interview with Joe Hill in Wizard Magazine issue 209. This is the current issue with Dark Avengers on the cover.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Joe Hill fans - just an FYI : there's a one page "Up Close" interview with Joe Hill in Wizard Magazine issue 209. This is the current issue with Dark Avengers on the cover.
    thanks for the heads up Turtle, just picked up a copy through my subscription service!

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts after you read the book. I think I am one of the very few on this board who hasn't bought into the Joe Hill thing yet. I picked up HEART SHAPED BOX off the remainder shelf at Barnes & Noble and wasn't really that impressed. Not bad but, personally, I don't see what the fuss is about.
    I wasnt very impressed with HSB. But 20th Century Ghosts was really great in my opinion. I give it to friends and they really love it. If you read just ONE story... read Pop Art.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. Pop Art is my favorite in the collection. SO many emotions come to the front while reading it. it's a GREAT story.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 332 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 ... LastLast