Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 331 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Hill, Author

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Joe Hill, Author

An introduction by way of shamelessly plagiarizing from Dolan's (a TDT.com member) Wikipedia entry:

Joe Hill is the pen name of Joseph Hillstrom King (born 1971), an American writer of horror and other fiction. Hill is the second child of the authors Stephen and Tabitha King. He has an older sister Naomi, and a younger brother Owen who is also a writer.

Joe Hill is the past recipient of the Ray Bradbury Fellowship. He has also received the William L. Crawford award for best new fantasy writer in 2006, the A.E. Coppard Long Fiction Prize for "Better Than Home" and the World Fantasy Award for Best Novella for "Voluntary Committal". His stories have appeared in a variety of magazines, such as Subterranean Magazine, Postscripts and The High Plains Literary Review, and in many anthologies, including The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror (ed. Stephen Jones), and The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror (ed. Ellen Datlow, Kelly Link & Gavin Grant).

His first book, 20th Century Ghosts (PS Publishing), showcases fourteen of his short stories and was the recipient of the Bram Stoker Award for Best Fiction Collection, together with the British Fantasy Award for Best Collection and Best Short Story for "Best New Horror".

His first novel, Heart-Shaped Box, became #10 on the New York Best Seller list on February 23, 2007. It was published by William Morrow/HarperCollins in February 2007 and by Victor Gollancz Ltd in March 2007.

Simultaneous to these two above cited editions, a limited edition of Joe Hill's debut novel was also released by Subterranean Press. It is perhaps a reflection of the success and fame which the future may hold for Hill to note that this limited edition sold out several months prior to publication.

- - -
    LIMITED EDITIONS SIGNED BY JOE HILL
    Based on commentary in this thread (to be updated as needed)

Subterranean Magazine Issue #2 - 150 numbered

Voluntary Committal chapbook - 26 Lettered/250 numbered

Postscripts Magazine #3 - 150 numbered ($40)

Postscripts Magazine #5 - 150 numbered ($40)

20th Century Ghosts - 200 numbered, signed by Hill and Golden (slip cased) ($80)/ 300 numbered, signed by Hill ($40)

Looking Glass - 26 Lettered ($175)/ 550 numbered ($35)

Pop Art - 52 Lettered/150 numbered ($80 - only included with hardcover Subterranean Magazine#6)

Postscripts Magazine #10 - 200 numbered (slipcased)($80)/ 300 signed ($40)

The Saved – ($24) indeterminate number of hardcovers signed by Hill

Heart Shaped Box - 15 lettered/200 deluxe (bonus section)($75)/ 300 numbered ($50)/ 100 second printing deluxe/ 400 second printing non-deluxe ($60)

Heart Shaped Box, UK S/L - 1300 numbered (₤20)

Thumbprint - 52 lettered ($400)/26 lettered chapbooks/250 numbered chapbooks (only available with signed Subterranean Tales of Dark Fantasy) ($150)

Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft - 26 lettered ($500)/250 numbered ($250)

The Land At The End Of The Working Day - 52 Lettered

Gunpowder - 200 numbered, signed by Hill and Chong (slip cased)($80)/ 300 signed by Hill ($40)

He Is Legend – 52 lettered ($500)/750 numbered ($200)

IDW: The First Decade – ($75) indeterminate number of copies

Grave Tales #6 - 100 ($75)

Horns – 200 tray cased signed by Hill and Chong ($330)/ 300 slipcased signed by Hill ($125)

Horns - Specially Bound Signed First Edition. 1180 unnumbered.
    Exactly the same as the regular First Edition with the addition of:
    - A gold round "Signed Edition" sticker on the dust jacket.
    - Tipped-in signature page.

The New Dead - 250 numbered ($125)

Locke & Key: Head Games - 26 lettered ($500)/250 numbered ($250)

Dates TBD

Grave Tales #7 - 100 ($75)

Smoke and Mirrors - 52 lettered ($400)/400 numbered ($150)
    Last edited by Patrick; 04-22-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Added to limited edition book list
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is the U.K. trade paperback of 20th Century Ghosts. There was a printing of 1000 books.

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

A Picture of the Deluxe Edition:

This is going to be released in a trade edition soon, and I suggest picking it up. Personally, for me, I really liked this collection over his first novel The Heart Shaped Box.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I'll add some more pictures. There was a 100 copy of the US Arc of heart Shaped Box signed by Joe and numbered. I've got #10.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

there was also a UK Limited Edition of Heart Shaped Box, signed, and numbered for 1,300 copies.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Well you all know what a HUGE Joe Hill fan I am...I cant wait to see this thread grow...

One of my personal fav's

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have an unnumbered copy of the UK Heart-Shaped Box ARC. I wonder how many were printed?

John

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Well you all know what a HUGE Joe Hill fan I am...I cant wait to see this thread grow...

One of my personal fav's

That is great Kenny that Joe Hill took the time to write and send you a letter. very cool...

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've got the start of my (what I hope to be extensive) collection with an inscribed U.S. HSB, a flatsigned U.S. HSB, and a UK slipcased, limited HSB.

I am always looking for MORE! I can't wait for 20CG to be released (again).

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Patrick got me a signed copy of Heart Shaped Box. It's awesome. Still need to read the book, I've heard great things about it!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

He got me a personalised HSB too and sent pics of Joe Hill signing it.

I've also got the s/l UK HSB, the 20th CG HC signed by JH and Christopher Golden limited, the HC signed only by him, and I have the trade paper back on it's way to me now.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

2 copies of the uk s/l hsb and a us deluxe edition, 20th century ghosts (s/l and deluxe)

and i've got the paperback of 20th century ghosts

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Can someone show us (mainly me) a few photos of the US limited of Heart Shaped Box? I've never seen the inside...is it cool?

Country
    Country Flag

i'm trying but i can't keep the book open and back far enough away to get a pic that isn't a big blurry mess, and the batteries are too low so the flash won't work. i'll get something figured out soon though, i think i can have them here tomorrow.

the inside is very cool did you just want a photo of the limitation page or some of the pictures in the book too?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Next week, I will try to post pictures of a couple chapbooks that Joe did awile back, my favorite being Better Than Home.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ruki View Post
    i'm trying but i can't keep the book open and back far enough away to get a pic that isn't a big blurry mess, and the batteries are too low so the flash won't work. i'll get something figured out soon though, i think i can have them here tomorrow.

the inside is very cool did you just want a photo of the limitation page or some of the pictures in the book too?

Both would be cool. Honestly it is something I want - but without actually seeing it, I have no idea what I would be buying! Ha!

Is it the 1-200 or 201-500?

Country
    Country Flag

of of the first 200. i can't say i'm positive, but i think it's the same as the 201-500's, just with extra stuff in the back.

and i'm still trying to get pictures, but i have to wait for someone to come over and hold it open for me and it looks like he's gonna get here pretty late.

oh yeah - no rush...just need a little nudge if I want to buy it...

Country
    Country Flag

okay i sorta got them. not great pictures but my camera is mean to me so it's the best i can do.

i think these are the only two pictures in the book, i'd thought there were at least three but i've only run across these two tonight.

if there's anything else you wanna see lemme know

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Cody's Books, Berkeley, CA: Sat., March 10, 2007

This isn't new news, but I'm going to post some stuff here in the Joe Hill thread anyway - for posterity's sake.

On the evening of Saturday, March 10th, I got together with my friend Jerome in Berkeley at a pub called Barclay's, a place I'd never been. Lots of good beer on tap.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

So after hitting the pub, Jerome and I went over to another part of town to attend a booksigning. We were just over an hour early, but they hadn't even set up yet.

Here I am at Cody's Books in Berkeley looking like a squirrel with a mouth of nuts, but I'm actually saying something along the lines of, "I want this poster!"

Well, because Cody's wasn't too busy, we figured we had some time to kill before things started at the bookstore.

So we walked around until we found another bar, the Cafe Rouge.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

We went back to Cody's after the bar. Guess who we met before his reading.

(I'm the one without the beard.)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

We talked to him a little. He is very friendly and approachable. Then he had to an interview with the local UC Berkeley student radio station.

After he came inside, we talked to him some more and got another pic with him.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

We sat in the front row. Joe read from Chapter 10 of Heart Shaped Box and then did a Q&A.

Then we walked and talked with him over to the other part of the store where he was going to do the signing.

Here he is signing one of Jerome's books. Then he signed mine.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, so we weren't just the first ones in line. We went and put the books in the car and came back in, so we were also the last ones in line.

We sweet talked a nice lady at the bookstore into giving us their two promotional standalone posters. Joe was nice enough to sign them for us.

Joe and Jerome:

Afterward we walked down to the Cafe Rouge for another beer while we waited for Jerome's wife to stop by and pick him up.

Overall it was a fabulous evening. Thanks to Jerome for remembering to bring a camera.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 331 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast