Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 314 of 332 FirstFirst ... 214 264 304 312 313 314 315 316 324 ... LastLast
Results 7,826 to 7,850 of 8289

Thread: Joe Hill, Author

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    So no one read Preacher?
    It’s on my list to get to eventually

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    I agree with the comments above. The Fireman is a good story, but not his best. I love Heart Shaped Box and Horns. Twentieth Century Ghosts is awesome too if you like short stories. If you like graphic novels, Locke and Key is spectacular!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    In terms of novels: NOS4A2>Heart Shaped Box>Horns>The Fireman
    So no one read Preacher?
    My wife did and loved it, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Definitely on my TBR list though.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

It is still my favorite, the TV show did it an injustice.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To get back on topic - I go like this:

In terms of novels: HSB>NOS4A2>Horns>The Fireman

The Fireman is one of the worst novels I have ever read. I know others like it, and that’s cool, but I found it to be terrible.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

NOS4A2 is one of my all time favorites. Loved it and didn't want it to end. Favorite Hill by far. Still gotta read The Fireman.
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post

The Fireman is one of the worst novels I have ever read. I know others like it, and that’s cool, but I found it to be terrible.
    What did you dislike so much about it? I can see it being someone's least favorite Hill book for sure, but one of the worst ever by anyone? That boggles my mind.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

NOS4A2 is one of my all time favorites. Loved it and didn't want it to end.
    Same here. It's also the only one I've re-read so far, and I'm already feeling the itch for a third go-round.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_pyle View Post

What did you dislike so much about it? I can see it being someone's least favorite Hill book for sure, but one of the worst ever by anyone? That boggles my mind.
    I just thought everything about it was bad - the plot, the characters, and the ending. To be honest, I can’t remember the specifics since it’s been a while since I read it. But I remember as soon as I was done I just couldn’t believe how bad I thought it was.

But that’s just me. I like a lot of things that others do not and vice versa, so you’ll just have to give it a read and decide for yourself.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

How does everyone rank the collections? 20th Century Ghosts is my all-time favorite collection by anyone (sorry, Skeleton Crew), and Full Throttle has been my least favorite Hill release, although I still enjoyed it a lot, so for me it's:

20th Century Ghosts>Strange Weather>Full Throttle

If I had to try to merge everything together, I think it'd go something like this:

NOS4A2>20th Century Ghosts>Locke & Key>Horns>The Fireman>Gunpowder>Heart-Shaped Box>Strange Weather>Full Throttle

Although if you broke Strange Weather up into its separate parts, "Loaded" and "Snapshot" would move way up the list.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I am guilty of not reading his short stories yet. For what is worth, I am way behind on reading lots of his fathers short stories even though I have been reading him since the late 70's. Not a short story guy.
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not a short story guy.
    I can see that. It's definitely a different kind of entertainment. I've gotten more and more fond of shorter works as I've gotten older. Probably because my free time's gotten more and more limited. I've especially appreciated really good novellas the last few years.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How does everyone rank the collections? 20th Century Ghosts is my all-time favorite collection by anyone (sorry, Skeleton Crew), and Full Throttle has been my least favorite Hill release, although I still enjoyed it a lot, so for me it's:

20th Century Ghosts>Strange Weather>Full Throttle
    It's been YEARS since I've read 20th Century Ghosts, but I think this would be my ranking as well. That's not to say that Full Throttle is bad (I definitely enjoyed it and there's about 4 really, really good stories in there) but the other two are more consistent in the quality of their stories, I thought.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

So no one read Preacher?
    Loved PREACHER (they printed my letter in one of the early issues- won an original Ennis script!), and almost put it in my list with the others. It would've been the next title had I kept listing.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't forget "Gunpowder" it is a little hard to find sometimes, but it is one of my favorite Hill books.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't forget "Gunpowder" it is a little hard to find sometimes, but it is one of my favorite Hill books.
    I like it too. I really wish he'd continue it.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I like it too. I really wish he'd continue it.
    I asked him about it at the last signing I went to and Joe said he is planning on doing a sequel, but other thing keep popping up and it keeps getting delayed. Hopefully someday.............

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I liked many of the stories in 20thCG. I cannot remember a single thing about Strange Weather, despite having read it less than 3 years ago.

On rereading the synopsis of it, I vaguely remember three of the four stories, and remember they were ... okay. They seemed like ideas that Hill wasn't sure how to develop past the initial premise.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I liked many of the stories in 20thCG. I cannot remember a single thing about Strange Weather, despite having read it less than 3 years ago.

On rereading the synopsis of it, I vaguely remember three of the four stories, and remember they were ... okay. They seemed like ideas that Hill wasn't sure how to develop past the initial premise.

HBJ
    Have to disagree, Peter at least about one story in SW, Loaded. Maybe the best of Joe's work to date.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

HBJ
    Have to disagree, Peter at least about one story in SW, Loaded. Maybe the best of Joe's work to date.
    I must admit, that was the one I couldn't really remember. Time for a rereead, mayhap.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

HBJ
    I must admit, that was the one I couldn't really remember. Time for a rereead, mayhap.

HBJ
    At least that one, my friend. Now Aloft. Ugh. Don't even waste your time rereading that junk.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. Top-notch stuff. "Rain" was the one story in that collection I didn't really care for. I'm not sure why exactly—it wasn't anything I could put my finger on—something about it just didn't jive for me. And it could have been the mood I was in at the time. I'll definitely re-read the whole collection at some point. Maybe when the Cemetery Dance S/L comes out.

Country
    Country Flag

This may be of interest to some - https://www.humblebundle.com/books/joe-hill-idw-comics

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with the comments above. The Fireman is a good story, but not his best. I love Heart Shaped Box and Horns. Twentieth Century Ghosts is awesome too if you like short stories. If you like graphic novels, Locke and Key is spectacular!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    In terms of novels: NOS4A2>Heart Shaped Box>Horns>The Fireman
    That's a great deal. I already have most of these on Kindle/Comixology, and all of them in hard copy, but it would be nice to have DRM-free digital copies too. Thanks for the heads-up!

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Eric - again I think I have them all in hard copy somewhere...but will download to get the files and read easily on my iPad....
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I grabbed the whole set. Thanks for posting.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 314 of 332 FirstFirst ... 214 264 304 312 313 314 315 316 324 ... LastLast