Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 2000s

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Mike why didn't you remind me about Timecrimes! I completely forgot about it

Maybe there's a way we can slow down the nomination process for next time as I imagine it'll go as fast if not faster than this one since it's all recent films. Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't mind it taking a couple weeks, that way it's not so rushed.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure what happened but the process only took six days this time while the 1990s took 14. The exact same process was used both times, and the 1990s and the 2000s are not vastly different decades. I guess it just worked out that way. I was sure it would go into this week.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Mike why didn't you remind me about Timecrimes! I completely forgot about it

Maybe there's a way we can slow down the nomination process for next time as I imagine it'll go as fast if not faster than this one since it's all recent films. Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't mind it taking a couple weeks, that way it's not so rushed.
    I know. It got lost in the shuffle for me too.

I agree though, I'd like for it to take a little longer as well. I'd come home from work and there would be like 40 films entered into the tournament.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd be up to making the process last longer as well.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe we could set a window during the evening where nominations are only valid during that timeframe? That way everyone is home from work, no distractions etc.,

Just a thought.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Problem is that we have members from outside the US, so a timeframe restriction wouldn't make sense... The only thing I'm thinking is to increase the waiting period for nominations from three to five, and for seconding from one to two? This should work well for the next tournament of the 2010s movies, since everyone will be very familiar with movies that came out during the last ten years. Once we go back in time to the 1980s and earlier decades, we'll probbaly need to switch back to the original limits, or even drop them to two or even one for the nominations for the very old decades of the 1940s and 1930s. It's always a process with these things...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yeah I think increasing the wait times is a good plan for this next one. Maybe even cap the amount of nominations you can make? I think it might have been that the movies were all so recent so people are familiar with a lot of them.

So after this next round do we finally get to go back in time?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, the idea is to do every decade of cinema, including the 1920s if any film nerds want to join me on that adventure It probably won't be 256 titles, though.

But yes, after this upcoming 2000s tournament, we're taking another short break and starting nominations for the 2010s in January 2020 for the preceding ten years of movies. Not everyone might have seen all the great 2019 movies at that point admittedly, but what can you do. This is after all just for fun and not scientific in any way. After the 2010s, this time next year will be the 1980s and so on until the 1920 in (checks notes) July-August 2023

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    As with most of these movie tournaments, there's no way I'm going to have time to catch up on the 170 nominations I haven't seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Yeah, I'm feeling the same way. I've only seen about 80 on the list.
    Wow, I just checked and I haven't seen 11 of the nominated 256 movies. Obviously some I've only seen once when they originally came out so it's been years. But no matter the wait time no one is expected to catch up on every single nominated film. Just do the best you can (if you can and wish) based on what movies appeal more to you, or ones you always meant to see or heard about and never got around to, and what you can have access to.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I think I haven't seen about 110 of these. But I have just a few in my collection that I have not watched yet. Maybe I can catch up on at least a few before we vote. That's next Mon right?

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, the 29th, probably will be doing polls after work, so around 5 PM ET or so.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Sounds good to me.

Country
    Country Flag

If it means abstaining from too many polls, each poll will have trailers for every nomination, so at the very least you can could make an educated guess as to which you would enjoy based on that.

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    If it means abstaining from too many polls, each poll will have trailers for every nomination, so at the very least you can could make an educated guess as to which you would enjoy based on that.
    That sounds like a plan. I have heard of most of them, I just haven't seen them.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Now that it's over...

...time to thank everyone who nominated something on my list before I could get around to it, thus saving me the trouble, which included these fine works:

The Departed
    Munich
    Dodgeball
    The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
    28 Days Later
    The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
    Black Hawk Down
    Zodiac
    Up
    Cloverfield
    The Mist
    A History Of Violence
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Shrek
    Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
    United 93
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Now that it's over...

...time to thank everyone who seconded something I actually nominated, so that I could get 22 (seems like a lot) films into the tournament:

Best In Show
    The Mothman Prophecies
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    The Exorcism Of Emily Rose (an underappreciated film, at least I never hear it talked about)
    Coraline
    The Fountain
    Signs (I know it's fashionable, or at least common, to look down on MNS' post-Sixth Sense work, but this is possibly my favorite movie of all time)
    Big Fish
    Mystic River
    Meet The Parents
    Gran Torino
    Adaptation
    Napoleon Dynamite
    Sideways
    Shaun Of The Dead
    The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus (I'm particularly please this snuck in; I thought it might have been nothing more than the Adventures Of Baron Munchausen of its generation (which is to say, enjoyed by me and no one else)).
    Elf
    War Of The Worlds
    Corpse Bride
    Wallace & Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit
    28 Weeks Later
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    That sounds like a plan. I have heard of most of them, I just haven't seen them.
    Same with me. There are only a few that I've never heard of. Most of them I at least know basically what the movie is about.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

As for my unseconded nominations (yes, it is all about me):

I was very surprised that these two didn't get any love:
    The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou - I know there are Wes Anderson fans out there, and you know who you are.
    Seven Pounds - this was a heavy movie, with great performances; I couldn't have been the only one affected by this.

Surprised, but less so, that these got no help:
    Man On Fire - what, Denzel is not enough for you? Bah!
    Paranormal Activity - these movies aren't everyone's favorite, but I thought it was widely enjoyed enough to get in.
    Death At A Funeral - seemed like the offbeat type of thing that would appeal widely here; maybe not.
    Step Brothers - what can I say, other than: you have all failed me. It was the fucking Catalina Wine Mixer, you bastards.

I am not surprised For Your Consideration and A Mighty Wind didn't get in; Best In Show did make it, and I suppose there's only so much room for Christopher Guest mockumentaries.

I Love You Phillip Morris is an odd movie (like so many of Jim Carrey's); I can't really describe it, but it is unique and enjoyable.

I was very much not surprised Lady In The Water and The Happening weren't seconded; they've attracted as much scorn as anything in MNS's catalog (or "oeuvre," if you like), although I loved them.

The Reaping, The Fourth Kind, Lost Souls, and The Skeleton Key were some of the better horror movies from the past 20 years, in my mind.

A Christmas Carol - a tour de force from Jim Carrey. There's nothing about this movie that isn't great.

Reign Of Fire - what, extra rugged, rough, bald Matthew McConaughey isn't enough for you? Actually, given the odd storyline (dragons turn out to be real, and humanity is screwed), I guess for most, it wasn't. A pity.

Two For The Money - I've never heard anyone call this great, but it sure was entertaining, and it featured one of the only scenes where you see someone, uh, well...I'll just go ahead and let you find out for yourself what happens to McConaughey in this one.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Balloon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Nomination:

Film: The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus
    Seconded - A magical film
    Someone gets it! Yes, Gilliam rarely disappoints.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So...where's the final list of 256 films?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    It's in the first post, and great to see you!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    3rd NOMINATION

Chicken Run (2000)
    I wish I'd been around to second it...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    And who nominated The Happening?! I need to give them a stern talking-to.

My Mood
    Cool

I thought Man on Fire was second. I would have done that one for sure. Sorry I missed it.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    It's in the first post, and great to see you!
    Thank you. I was concerned my second-favorite film of all time would not be there. But it is, at #78. All is good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast