Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO Max

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default HBO Max

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...x?srnd=premium
    AT&T Inc. is relying on HBO and a little help from “Friends” to anchor its new streaming service, an attempt to challenge Netflix Inc.

The company’s WarnerMedia division announced Tuesday that it will call the online platform “HBO Max,” following through on a pledge to make the premium network the heart of its streaming strategy. It also said the sitcom “Friends” -- currently a popular show on Netflix -- will be going to the new service, which is slated to debut next spring.

AT&T acquired Time Warner for $85 billion last year, and the new streaming service is a key test of its efforts to capitalize on a sprawling telecom and media empire. It’s racing with Walt Disney Co. and Comcast Corp.’s NBCUniversal, which are also launching new streaming services.

All three companies are playing catch-up to Netflix, which has nearly 150 million customers for its streaming service. Netflix already operates around the world, while the new products will start in the U.S. HBO Max also is coming later than originally expected: WarnerMedia had previously been aiming to release the service at the end of this year.

But Netflix will have to replace many of its popular rerun series as those shows go to other platforms. The company’s stock dipped on the news that “Friends” would be leaving, and Netflix lamented the move on Twitter.

HBO Max will include 10,000 hours of programming from across the WarnerMedia group of networks and studios, including the new DC Comics show “Batwoman,” reruns of “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air” and “Pretty Little Liars,” documentaries from CNN, kids’ programming from Cartoon Network and anime from Crunchyroll.

“HBO Max will bring together the diverse riches of WarnerMedia to create programming and user experiences not seen before in a streaming platform,” Bob Greenblatt, chairman of WarnerMedia’s entertainment and direct-to-consumer operations, said in a statement.

WarnerMedia Chief Executive Officer John Stankey has said HBO Max will build on HBO, which has 35 million customers in the U.S. The network has a library that includes “The Sopranos,” “Sex and the City” and “Game of Thrones.” Upcoming HBO shows include a science-fiction program created by producer Joss Whedon, a satire from “Veep” creator Armando Iannucci, and a horror series produced by J.J. Abrams and Jordan Peele.

Greenblatt will try to lure new customers to HBO Max with new original series and movies exclusive to the service. Kevin Reilly will oversee the development of those originals series, and has already ordered more than half a dozen shows. Actress Anna Kendrick will star in a romantic-comedy series, and Kaley Cuoco, from Warner Bros.’ “The Big Bang Theory,” will appear in a thriller produced by Greg Berlanti.

Berlanti scored one of the richest deals in TV history last year, part of a growing arms race for Hollywood talent. WarnerMedia touted its deals with Berlanti and actress Reese Witherspoon, both of whom will produce original series for the service.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting!! At least AT&T realizes they aren't capable of doing this on their own (took them long enough) and are handing off to the pro's. I just hope they don't screw current hbo subscribers by shifting everything to the new service and abandoning the tried and true HBO. I'd probably look into subscribing to this service. Thanks for posting, Mae!!! You rock!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure how true this is but I'd love it:

https://tvline.com/2019/07/02/warner...max-explained/
    all of HBO’s current subscribers are expected to be automatically enrolled in the new streaming service

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Not sure how true this is but I'd love it:

https://tvline.com/2019/07/02/warner...max-explained/
    all of HBO’s current subscribers are expected to be automatically enrolled in the new streaming service
    Cool beans!!!!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Can someone please explain how switching to streaming would work. I mean, right now I have Comcast and when I I want to watch HBO I go to the HBO numbers on my cable box. What would I do now? Sorry, but I don't have any streaming services at all so it's new to me.

Country
    Country Flag

If you have an HBO subscription now you can stream HBO at hbogo.com. Just log in with your TV provider credentials.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised they didn't think of this sooner. They have a slew of prestigious award winning shows on deck, + some enticing original content, I can see them doing well for themselves.

The only issue now is dilution... Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney, now HBO. Only so much time and money to go around, and Netflix already has a considerable lead. We'll see.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

If you have an HBO subscription now you can stream HBO at hbogo.com. Just log in with your TV provider credentials.
    So I would need to find that out first. I don't know what that is. Hopefully HBO sends out letters saying they are doing this. So I would go on line through a browser to log in? Again,
    I am new to this. If these are basic questions, sorry . Plus is this an either or thing (can I keep on doing it through my cable box?). Or is this the only way to get HBO, maybe.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    So I would need to find that out first. I don't know what that is. Hopefully HBO sends out letters saying they are doing this. So I would go on line through a browser to log in? Again,
    I am new to this. If these are basic questions, sorry . Plus is this an either or thing (can I keep on doing it through my cable box?). Or is this the only way to get HBO, maybe.
    Do you have a Comcast login? Or do you just get a paper bill from them and that's it? If you're not sure, give them a call. But yes, once you have your Comcast login, go to hbogo.com in any browser (or download the app for a tablet) and get logged in. Then you can stream lots of new and older movies plus most of HBO's original programming.

My Mood
    Cool

Do you have a Comcast login? Or do you just get a paper bill from them and that's it? If you're not sure, give them a call. But yes, once you have your Comcast login, go to hbogo.com in any browser (or download the app for a tablet) and get logged in. Then you can stream lots of new and older movies plus most of HBO's original programming.
    I am sorry, but that is ridiculous. "Forcing" me to stream is just crazy. I only have one TV that has access to the internet. The other one does not. Then, I am relying on a solid connection through the internet? I think not. If HBO does this and does not allow you to keep physical boxes, then I guess I am going to cancel HBO.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure the cable channels aren't going away any time soon. This is an extra.

My Mood
    Cool

I'm sure the cable channels aren't going away any time soon. This is an extra.
    If it's an extra, then that's great for people who want it.
    Thanks Mae.

My Mood
    Cool

OK. I will leave. Sorry if I am not as quick on the uptake and had questions.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am sorry, but that is ridiculous. "Forcing" me to stream is just crazy. I only have one TV that has access to the internet. The other one does not. Then, I am relying on a solid connection through the internet? I think not. If HBO does this and does not allow you to keep physical boxes, then I guess I am going to cancel HBO.
    You will most certainly still be able to watch HBO via your cable box. HBO is responding to the growing number of "Cord Cutters" people who no longer subscribe to cable. Last quarter, more people dumped cable and satellite than ever before. The number was staggering, in the 6 figures I believe. I might be off though. Either way, the writing is on the wall.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

HBO Max has made some big announcements with regard to their DC plans, very exciting. Also, if you subscribe to regular HBO via AT&T (like me) or have HBO Now, you will get free access to HBO Max:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tion/40452893/
    AT&T is giving its customers a reason to subscribe to HBO through one of its various channels.

The 10 million HBO subscribers that pay for it through their AT&T TV or wireless bill, or pay WarnerMedia directly for HBO Now, will get access to HBO Max at no extra charge when it launches in April, COO John Stankey told Reuters. In the long term, the company hopes HBO Max will help retain wireless subscribers, according to executives cited by Reuters.

AT&T is well versed in bundling. After acquiring DIRECTV and launching DIRECTV Now (which is now called AT&T TV Now), the company aggressively bundled its over-the-top service with its wireless service. It's eased off since, merely pushing a skinny bundle of linear television channels on its unlimited wireless data plan subscribers.

The move to offer Max to HBO subscribers that also subscribe to one of AT&T's many television services or its wireless service is a bit different. HBO subscribers should already have a strong interest in HBO Max, although there seems to be some hesitancy. Providing the 10 million AT&T customers with HBO a free upgrade could help seed the customer base and get people talking about it, improving HBO subscriber retention (now that "Game of Thrones" and "Veep" are done) on top of keeping those customers with AT&T for their television or wireless phone needs.

Stankey also hinted at the possibility of creating a new bundle for HBO Max with one of AT&T's wireless plans. The company already technically offers such a plan; its high-end unlimited data plan includes a subscription to one of several streaming options, including HBO Now. Those customers that currently take HBO Now ought to qualify for the HBO Max upgrade when the service launches next spring. But a lower-priced plan with just an option for HBO Max could increase uptake and reduce churn for AT&T.

That said, MoffettNathanson analyst Craig Moffett pointed out to Reuters that "AT&T hasn't seen any more improvement (in churn) with wireless/video bundling than Verizon has seen without it."

Verizon notably just announced a partnership with Disney to offer its unlimited wireless data customers a free year of Disney+. The move may have been preemptive to combat incentives AT&T might provide customers interested in HBO Max.

A spokesperson confirmed to Reuters that HBO Now subscribers who signed up directly with WarnerMedia are eligible for the upgrade in April. In all likelihood, that means the company will launch HBO Max at $14.99 per month, the same price as HBO Now.

It could, however, result in two different prices for the service. One price for consumers subscribing directly with AT&T, and another for those that subscribe through an aggregation service like Amazon Channels or Apple TV Channels.

AT&T is building HBO Max for scale. It expects to reach 80 million subscribers by 2025, with 50 million of those in the United States. As such, it expects to create efficiencies in costs of delivering the service and handling customers. The value of aggregation services for distribution is greatly diminished when a service has scale. That's why none of the big over-the-top services are available on the aggregators.

The future may see AT&T raise the price for HBO Max while keeping HBO Now's pricing the same. Or WarnerMedia may eventually pull the option to sign up for HBO from those services, even though Amazon Channels currently accounts for a large portion of HBO Now subscribers.

One of AT&T's goals with HBO Max appears to be to foster more direct customer relationships. The move to offer current HBO customers with an existing AT&T relationship a free upgrade to the service may be just the first step. But AT&T will have to balance that goal with its aim of scaling the service and how it works with other distributors.

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.cbr.com/green-lantern-series-hbo-max/
    Green Lantern is soaring back to screens everywhere. HBO Max will adapt the Emerald Knight for the small screen in a new series on the streaming service.

According to Entertainment Weekly, a “Green Lantern inspired series” is in the works for HBO Max, but additional details are being kept under wraps. "In what promises to be our biggest DC show ever made, we will be going to space with a Green Lantern television series, but I can’t reveal any more about that just yet,” producer Greg Berlanti teased in a statement.

Berlanti, the mastermind behind The CW's Arrowverse, took a first crack at the Green Lantern franchise back in 2011 alongside Arrow co-creator Marc Guggenheim. They co-wrote Green Lantern, though they ultimately lost creative control before its release. The film, which starred Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, was a critical and box office flop.

Following this, Berlanti went on to produce Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Batwoman and Black Lightning for The CW. Additionally, he will have a hand in Superman and Lois as well as Green Arrow and the Canaries. He is also attached to DC Universe's Titans, Doom Patrol and Stargirl.
    https://www.cbr.com/strange-adventur...range-hbo-max/
    Today HBO Max announced that a Strange Adventures series starring Adam Strange is heading to the streaming service.

"One more for @DCComics fans. In partnership w/ @GBerlanti we're excited to bring to series the beloved Green Lantern AND intro audiences to Strange Adventures, about "man of two worlds" Adam Strange, an archaeologist-turned-intergalactic-hero when he's zeta-beamed to planet Rann," the HBO Max official Twitter account revealed this evening.

Strange Adventures is an anthology series that explores “close-ended morality tales about the intersecting lives of mortals and super-humans.” It will be a one-hour series produced by Greg Berlanti, who helped launched The CW's Arrowverse. A Green Lantern series is also heading to HBO Max.

“Both of these original DC properties we’ll be creating for HBO Max will be unlike anything seen on television,” Berlanti said in a statement. “An anthology series of cautionary tales set in a world where superpowers exist, and, in what promises to be our biggest DC show ever made, we will be going to space with a Green Lantern television series, but I can’t reveal any more about that just yet.”

Executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and showrunner/writer John Stephens, Strange Adventures currently does not have a release date.
    https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-orders-d...izabeth-banks/
    HBO Max has given a series order to DC Super Hero High, a new comedy series from Elizabeth Banks that will be available exclusively on the streaming service.

According to TVLine, the half-hour comedy will focus on a group of teenagers attending a boarding school for gifted children. The synopsis reads:

These teens are just trying to navigate the pressures of high school, but none of them realize that someday they will become legendary DC Super Heroes.

Banks will serve as executive producer, with Scott Weinger serving as writer and EP. No casting announcements were made, and no release date has been given. However, the streaming service will launch in May 2020.

HBO Max is truly going all in with DC Comics programming. In addition to streaming every DC Comics live-action film from the last 40 years, the service also announced new series based around Adam Strange and Green Lantern. HBO Max is also expected to house HBO's new Watchmen series, as well The CW's Batwoman.

DC Super Hero High is executive produced by Elizabeth Banks and Scott Weinger, and will stream on HBO Max. The series currently has no release date or cast.

Country
    Country Flag

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

What if you are just a normal HBO subscriber through your cable and not through AT&T?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Then no. I believe it’s free only if you subscribe to HBO via AT&T (former DirecTV) or HBO Now. Also, one huge thing Grace forgot to mention in her video is that HBO Max will have the whole Studio Ghibli library.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have Directv thro AT&T and HBO so I will be interested to see if I get it. But I have NO interest in paying for it.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Country
    Country Flag

And another huge thing, HBO Max will have classic and brand new Looney Tunes cartoons!

Country
    Country Flag

Holy god they will have 50 (fifty) seasons of Sesame Street!

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Hmm all the DC news with HBO Max makes me wonder if they're going to kill the DC specific streaming service in favor of rolling everything into HBO Max. Which would honestly make the most sense. Why own 2 different streaming services competing with each other.

Country
    Country Flag

The DC Universe service also has tens of thousands of comics, so it’s similar to Marvel Unlimited, which is separate from Disney+.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

All this talk about DC crap and no mention of South Park and the rumoured 500M bidding war over the streaming rights? It's literally the only thing that matters here. I just want to know what South Park was licensed for!
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast