Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A/V equipment question and discussion thread

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default A/V equipment question and discussion thread

Hi, I had an question regarding subwoofers, and didn't really see an appropriate thread, so thought I would start a general purpose thread for such things.

So recently a burglar stole a subwoofer, and I bought a replacement, the replacement was actually a step up from the old one, because it was on sale, and the additional cost was minimal.

So the subwoofer that was stolen was for my secondary entertainment room, which I use for TV or music maybe 3% of the time compared to my primary entertainment room.

So in my primary room I have a :

Velodyne optimum 8 CH and is about 7 years old. Every other speaker in the room is definitive technologies (7.2.1 system)

In my secondary room I have:

Definitive Technology SuperCube 4000. It is brand new. Every speaker in the room is definitive technologies (5.1 system)

Should I keep the subwoofers in the rooms they are in, or would I get better results if I swapped them. I suspect I will get better results if I keep them as is.

If anyone is an audiophile and has an opinion, let me know.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

The center channel speaker of my 5.1 surround sound system has recently been giving off a distortion, or a harsh vibration, on voices only, when they are raised or someone is singing loudly. I switched the center channel speaker with another one, and the same thing happens, so it can't be the speaker.

I'm posting this just in case anyone here knows anything about this, or has had the same problem and fixed it.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

What type of receiver do you have? Does it have any autocalibration feature? What about the speaker wires, did you test them?
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Pioneer VSX-80
    I reached behind it and tightened all the speaker wire connections, which is all I did so far.
    The receiver didn't even come with a physical instruction book, it's all on a disc. I put it in once and balked at reading the whole thing.
    I only use the receiver to watch movies with. My stereo set-up is connected to a different Pioneer receiver, which, ironically, is doing the SAME thing with my CDs! There is a distortion in the center when singing voices are loudest.
    It's driving me crazy. The whole set-up has worked fine for many years, and all of a sudden it starts acting up.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool, I also have two pioneer receivers, but not the exact model Pioneer VSX-32, Pioneer LX701. I just checked the vsx-80 it it too has the autoMACC feature, so I would give that a try. Do you still have the microphone?
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'm sure I will once I dig out that instruction disc. If a microphone (It's mike, King, not mic! Sorry, I digress) was included I still have it somewhere. I do remember I had to hook it up to my TV screen to adjust the five speakers (the receiver can do 7.1 but I only have 5 speakers hooked up) and it was something of a pain. I need to do some research!

+ Reply to Thread