Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Watchmen on HBO

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I only see Merlin and Allasorte commenting here. Is anyone else watching? I'm trying to figure out if I should catch up.
    I would Mike. It's only 9 total episodes for the season and overall I have liked it. Though I have several things I don't like about the show, there are worse things out there to spend your time on television wise.
    There certainly are worse things. I will keep it in the queue.

Are you a little surprised the film hasn't been more buzzed-about though?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    I only see Merlin and Allasorte commenting here. Is anyone else watching? I'm trying to figure out if I should catch up.
    I would Mike. It's only 9 total episodes for the season and overall I have liked it. Though I have several things I don't like about the show, there are worse things out there to spend your time on television wise.
    There certainly are worse things. I will keep it in the queue.

Are you a little surprised the film hasn't been more buzzed-about though?
    I'm pissed about that, I truly enjoyed the film and even the director's cut which was roughly 30 plus minutes longer. I even watched the graphic comic I enjoyed the Watchmen world so much. People.....
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with you, Allasorte this is an awesome show and I'm surprised there isn't way more chatter going on here about it. However, I saw this article on AICN and thought it was good and might spark some discourse prior to the season finale this evening........................

Spoiler:
    First of all: holy shit, you guys. There are so many layers here. I feel like the show rewards rewatching, much like the original comic series invited re-reading and interpretation while you waited for the next issue. As a meditation on the superhero genre, the show is really just super smart. It gets to the heart of what superhero stories are about, which is trauma and the ways we struggle to resolve trauma and seek justice by creating meaning out of what happened to us - that trauma is an origin story for the hero we're meant to be. Each of these characters wears the trauma of their origin story. That Hooded Justice is a black man who was about to be lynched, who then ran out and fought crime with a noose around his neck, makes TOTAL SENSE. His wife is incredulous that he put the hood back on, and why wouldn't she be? Reliving your trauma makes no sense to the rational mind. But to our subconscious, it feels like we're resolving something. Mirror Guy, aka Looking Glass, can't get over the humiliation and pain that happened when he was in the hall of mirrors, to the point where, even when he knows the squid attack was a hoax, he STILL goes back and gets his expensive security alert system out of the trash - because that's what it takes for him to feel secure.

Mirror guy having a bad night.

And then there's intergenerational trauma. OH YES. Which episode 6 explored with such a degree of sophistication that I don't even know where to begin talking about it. I mean, aside from being beautifully shot, the fluidity between Angela and her grandfather's experience in THIS EXTRAORDINARY BEING is both beautiful and terrifying, and encapsulates an "origin story" for Angela's search for justice that resonates through generations of people she never even met. I mean, look at this. Is this not Sister Night's origin, as well as Will Reeves's?

Sister Night reliving the memories of Hooded Justice, in the mirror.

Are we gonna get to explore Silk Spectre's intergenerational trauma next? Cause OMG OMG YOU GUYS I don't know if I can handle it.

Speaking of what happens next - what are your predictions for tomorrow's finale? If you're not into making/reading predictions, you can skip the rest, but here are my thoughts/questions/proposals:

Dr Manhattan in Vietnam

First of all: Did Dr. Manhattan kill Angela's grandmother? After Angela's grandmother dropped dead of a heart attack, the camera pans back to a mural of Dr. Manhattan on the wall behind her, with the word "Murderer" scrawled on it. Dr. Manhattan knows all, and sees time backwards and forwards. Would he have influenced events just to keep Angela in Vietnam? So he could meet her in the bar 25 years later? Come to think of it, the original Cal Abar died from a "suspected heart attack" as well. There are just a lot of people keeling over with convenient heart attacks in Vietnam, is all I'm saying.

Second: is Angela going to take over Dr. Manhattan's powers? There's been some speculation on this point around the internet, and here's how I think it's gonna go down. Remember when Angela and Jon are in the bar and he says that technically, he could imbue organic material with his powers and transfer them, and she says, "you mean I could eat an egg and walk on water?" And then when Jon comes back, he walks on water, saying "you're going to need to see this later." And then goes and makes breakfast, pulling eggs out of the refrigerator. But Angela smashes the eggs. Does this indicate a lack of consent (Jon said he'd never transfer his powers without the other person's consent?)

I don't necessarily agree with the theories posited by this writer, but it does get you thinking. I was surprised she didn't touch on the, Veidt story. There may be some credibility to the Abar/Dr. Manhattan theory. There just seems to be too many hints for it to be off, but we shall see. I propose that all of us still with the show commence a re-watch/binge a week or so after the finale and come back here with your thoughts. Any takers?

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it.

Spoiler

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it.

Spoiler

Spoiler:
    Yes, he can. He was formerly in love with the current FBI lady (Silk Specter). Though why he tried love again after her I am not sure. In the GN he became disinterested in her and she had enough of his disappearances if I recall correctly. I draw your attention to the FBI lady placing the, Dr. Manhattan call in the specially designed "Mars phone booth".

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I've heard rumors that this might be a one and done series. I would not lose any sleep if that were true. I enjoyed much of this finale episode, though I felt some of the characters didn't get what they deserved. I won't go into detail, but overall I felt this show was better then average.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I too enjoyed the living shit out of this and there definitely is a chance for a season two. I find it hard to believe that, Manhattan allowed himself to be destroyed.

Spoiler:
    I don't see how or why he couldn't re-constitute himself as he did initially in the novel. The whole "Egg" symbolism/plotline would seem to support that in some way.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

My understanding of the show was that it was always supposed to be essentially a mini series, one season and no more. That said I really kinda like that it's one and done. I don't need every show to be beat to death with tons of seasons until they run out of ideas and ruin it. More stuff like this would be really refreshing. One season of TV with a cohesive story that's planned out from the beginning.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Not reading the comments yet, don't want to be spoiled, one more to go, which I'll start as soon as I'm done smoking.

Just had to comment, for a show which I've found to be mostly unimpressive, the eighth episode is one of the best examples of clever time-travel I've ever seen. Fantastically written, here's hoping the finale is just as entertaining. Be back tomorrow.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Not reading the comments yet, don't want to be spoiled, one more to go, which I'll start as soon as I'm done smoking.

Just had to comment, for a show which I've found to be mostly unimpressive, the eighth episode is one of the best examples of clever time-travel I've ever seen. Fantastically written, here's hoping the finale is just as entertaining. Be back tomorrow.
    Yes, they probably could have told the story with a couple less episodes, but I for one found the writing, acting and production to be pretty darn fantastic. The finale was great IMHO.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It was a slow burn for sure. I mean, the first episode and last episode are only vaguely connected to each other. I've never seen a television season go from cops vs. racist fucks to trying to steal a God's power and space moon prison escapes so fast lol.

All in all an enjoyable show, but the rating definitely went up due to the back half.

Next season to watch (this week) will be either the newest seasons of the Purge or Grey's Anatomy.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    It was a slow burn for sure. I mean, the first episode and last episode are only vaguely connected to each other. I've never seen a television season go from cops vs. racist fucks to trying to steal a God's power and space moon prison escapes so fast lol.

All in all an enjoyable show, but the rating definitely went up due to the back half.

Next season to watch (this week) will be either the newest seasons of the Purge or Grey's Anatomy.

BILLIONS!!!!!!

Also, PENNY DREADFULL: CITY OF ANGELS, is usually a solid show in the past.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally finished this last weekend. What a fantastic show. I've been critical of Lindelof in the past, but he really did some great work here.

Also I see Watchmen was nominated for a s-load of Emmys, and deservedly so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3