Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Sword of Truth Series

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I have actually met Terry Goodkind and have his autograph twice in the same book - Legends! Yet, I have not read word one from this series. I intend to - just need to find the time!

Terry was in Betts Bookstore the day of the King Bag of Bones book signing. I was struggling trying to determine which two books to get signed. I knew The Stand (the complete version was going to be one book, but the second???? Stu Tinker told me the day before the signing that Terry Goodkind would be in the store signing (randomly - not to take away from King's event) and I decided to buy a copy of Legends and get that signed as my second King book. Terrry Goodkind sells all of his books signed at Betts - he is the only other author Stu really deals in (other than those that write about King of course)! I already owned Legends but did not have it with me so I bought it again (sold the original copy I had on ebay a few months later) and it was flat signed by Goodkind in purple ink. I met him while standing in line and asked him to personalize my copy - he did so with a quote from one of his books - something about truth and honor I think and he signed it again (to Bob of course) although in a differetn ink color, so I have his autograph in there twice and King's once!

A couple of years ago I was in Betts and was contemplating starting The Sword of Truth series although planning to do so in paperback version as I did not want to start collecting hardbacks from another author! Stu gave me a Plume version of the first book and said if I liked it I could buy the rest from him later on!

It's not the first time Stu has given me something from his store. The man is a class act I say! Maybe this will nudge me to make the time to start the series. Too many books to read and too little time I say!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm so jealous!

Would you care to post a picture of his signature and personalization? I'd love to see the quote he used.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Just a little update. I'm over a quarter of the way through, and loving it even more.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I'm so jealous!

Would you care to post a picture of his signature and personalization? I'd love to see the quote he used.
    Erin, I just came back here. I will get a pic up soon!

Spoiler:

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

ow I jsut looked at the sig. It says To Bob, Enemies are the price of honor and is signed Terry and is dated 11-23-98.

His full sig is also on the page.

A neat surprise - I was looking at the King sig (flat signed - no date) and came across another I totally forgot about. On the page of the drawing that accoompanies The Little Sisters of Eluria is another sig "To Bob, Best Wishes, Erik Wilson" dated 8/2/99. That must have been the 5th Annual SKEMERs conference in Bangor! I do not even remember getting that sig!

Pics to follow soon!

Spoiler:

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    I will get a pic up soon!
    Yes, get it up soon.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm so jealous!

Erin, for your viewing pleasure the three sigs in my Legends:

Terry Goodkind - note the two colors and a cool second one just as Terry!
    Two signatures that look totally different by the way!

Erik Wilson - hard to see but it is Erik - he was the artist for that picture!

King signed this right after personalizing my copy of The Stand The Complete and Uncut Verison!

Spoiler:

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

CRinVA!!!!

Thank you so so so much for posting that! What an amazing group of signatures!

Of course the King signature is amazing, but Terry Goodkind's is great! He has such a nice, clear signature and it's so neat he did it in different color inks. And he used an amazing quote too. You are lucky to have such a great book in your collection!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks - Stu Tinker (Betts) carries most of Goodkind's books autographed. I asked Stu once how he came to have all these Goodkind books signed. He told me he met Terry I, think in Bar Harbor (an hour from Bangor) and they got to talking. Stu told Terry what he did for a living - sell SK books) and Terry said to him "I'm a writer, you know", to which Stu replied "Are you any good?", to which Terry said, "I'll send you a copy (of Wizards First Rule) when my book gets published." He did and Stu read it and loved it and the rest as they say is history! Terry has a vacation home in Bar harbor so they meet up at least every summer when Terry comes to Maine!

I may not have all the details of this little tale but this is how I remember my conversation with Stu! That was the day he gave me a Plume edition of Wizards First Rule and told me to read it and if I liked it to buy the rest from him. I have it to read but have not gotten to it yet! I will!

Spoiler:

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

What a neat story!

Now I really need to visit Betts...not only for the King but for the Goodkind.

Getting towards the end of the book now and that whole part with him made a slave by Denna was just one of the more grueling parts of any book I've ever read. This has been a fantastic read...

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

It really is grueling. Goodkind does an amazing job of putting you in the moment in that part of the book.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Finished it yesterday. Loved it, loved it, loved it. A fantastic read, fascinating world and characters. I'll probably start book 2 after I finish my re-read of the DT and after Duma Key which is next in line.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Getting towards the end of the book now and that whole part with him made a slave by Denna was just one of the more grueling parts of any book I've ever read. This has been a fantastic read...
    Oh yea. I loved that part. I was so furious at Denna during that scene. I wanted to punch her in her stupid Mord-Sith face.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Finished it yesterday. Loved it, loved it, loved it. A fantastic read, fascinating world and characters. I'll probably start book 2 after I finish my re-read of the DT and after Duma Key which is next in line.
    Yay yay yay!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you liked it! You meet one of my favorite characters in the 2nd book.

KevinFlys

World of Warcraft Gold Farmers

No spam on the site, Please.
    Last edited by Erin; 05-18-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Edited out spamming post.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh...and i'm so freaking excited that Sam Raimi is turning Wizard's First Rule into a TV series for ABC this fall.
    I was going through this thread and saw this part of a post by me and it seriously made me LOL for real.

I was so excited until I actually saw the steaming pile of crap that was Legend of the Seeker.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I can't wait for this:

The Omen Machine (A Richard and Kahlan Novel) by Terry Goodkind

This title will be released on July 19, 2011.

Product Description
    From the beginning, with Wizard’s First Rule, Terry Goodkind set a new standard for epic storytelling. Now he returns with a powerful new tale from Richard and Kahlan’s world.

An accident leads to the discovery of a mysterious machine that has rested hidden deep underground for countless millennia. The machine awakens to begin issuing a series of increasingly alarming, if minor, omens. The omens turn out to be astonishingly accurate, and ever more ominous. As Zedd tries to figure out how to destroy the sinister device, the machine issues a cataclysmic omen involving Richard and Kahlan, foretelling an impending event beyond anyone’s ability to stop. As catastrophe approaches, the machine then reveals that it is within its power to withdraw the omen . . . In exchange for an impossible demand.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Woot! Can't wait!

I am surprised no one(including myself) dragged this thread out to talk about The Omen Machine. I was hesitant to return to a series that I basically thought of as over in my head, but The Omen Machine was actually really good. It had all of the sort of elements that made me love all of the original books.

The reason I dredged up this thread, though, is because of a post that Terry Goodkind made on his facebook page that has me pretty excited. Here it is:

The new novel is titled THE FIRST CONFESSOR: The Legend of Magda Searus. It will be available on July-2, this year. 18 days from now. English release, simultaneous and world-wide. There will be three formats available; ebook (available on all platforms including iPad, Nook, Kindle, etc), a printed and limited Collector's Edition, and an audiobook version. The ebook price will be $9.99, on sale for $8.99 the first week only. More details on the Collector's Edition and Audiobook will be revealed this weekend.

Demon of the Prim Maturins_Daughter is on a distinguished road Maturins_Daughter's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I read the first 8 books years ago after falling in love with Wizard's First Rule. After about the 4th book, I seriously got tired of Kahlan always questioning Richard But pushed past that. Then somewhere at the beginning of Chainfire, I just got tired of the whole thing, so I stopped reading them.

Now, having picked them up from book 1 again, I'm almost at the end of Naked Empire and will be starting Chainfire again soon. I will persevere! I do love the characters (Cara is one of my favorites). Once done with the main series, will have to go back to the peripherals.

I actually enjoyed the TV series once I divorced it from the books. It was basically Xena/Hercules with different names. The location shoots were pretty much the same, with Raimi at the helm, so for a fantasy tv series it wasn't too bad (don't hate me!)

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I will come back and reply to this at length when I have internet at home again, but thbis is probably my favorite set of books ever.
    Better than ASOIAF?
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Quote Originally Posted by beam*seeker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I will come back and reply to this at length when I have internet at home again, but thbis is probably my favorite set of books ever.
    Better than ASOIAF?
    Well, I wrote that in 2008 and I think I hadn't read A Song of Ice and Fire yet. I'd say ASOIAF is the better series, but that doesn't take away from how good The Sword of Truth series is, in my opinion.

Demon of the Prim Maturins_Daughter is on a distinguished road Maturins_Daughter's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Maturins_Daughter View Post
    I read the first 8 books years ago after falling in love with Wizard's First Rule. After about the 4th book, I seriously got tired of Kahlan always questioning Richard But pushed past that. Then somewhere at the beginning of Chainfire, I just got tired of the whole thing, so I stopped reading them.

Now, having picked them up from book 1 again, I'm almost at the end of Naked Empire and will be starting Chainfire again soon. I will persevere! I do love the characters (Cara is one of my favorites). Once done with the main series, will have to go back to the peripherals.

Finished the last three books and am SO glad I did. Now on to The First Confessor!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3