Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Showtime Series: Billions

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Showtime Series: Billions

Early in my career I worked in the operations division of several major banks and brokers. I graduated to a Financial Consultant, which is similar to our own Gunslinger for the financial brokers operations areas. Even later, I started my own consulting agency sending Financial Gunslingers all over Wall Street and country in all sorts of disciplines including our beloved government.

All of which is to say that I am very familiar with "The Street" as it was once known and many of its products and instruments. So it should be no surprise that I thoroughly enjoy shows concerning Wall Street and the way it operates. I was around for the "Wolf". loved the Oliver Stone entry and enjoyed "Too Big to Fail amongst others. However, I think my very favorite show of this type is HBO's series "Billions"!!!!

Tonight's episode was especially good IMHO which prompted this thread. Billions is now in it's 3rd season and follows the fortunes of Wall St. Wiz, Bobby Axelrod and his firm, Axe Capital and the career of U.S. Attorney, Chuck Rhoades who is generally trying to prosecute him. I don't want to spoil anything, but the show manages to constantly shift alliances, objectives, characters and various plots to keep it fresh and interesting and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone who has HBO or access to it.

I don't want to speak further for chance to spoil anything. I will say that while some of the plot points can be easily seen coming, the funky and fresh dialogue and acting makes it a very small point. Additionally, the show focus's primarily on New York State (of which I am a 45 year former resident) and not only includes financial plots, but delves into all the state has to offer. Cuisine, decadent services, architecture and life style to name a few. Give it a try. Each season typically deals with one major issue throughout its 10 episodes, but incorporates multiple gambits, characters, alliances and betrayals. There's a very good chance that if you give it 3-4 episodes you'll be hooked and looking for compatriots at the water cooler to discuss it with.

Please feel free to share your thoughts, criticisms and speculations here.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Dammit Bill, I have so much to watch already! Fuckin' jerk!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Dammit Bill, I have so much to watch already! Fuckin' jerk!
    LOL Well, I apologize for filling up your dance card, Sparky but trust me working this show into your top three is worth the exercise. Especially for you, by what I know about your viewing tastes. Quick, smart & snappy dialogue together with intricate and multiple plot lines all centered in the greatest city in the world, New York. You're going to LOVE it, my friend so get your ass to the binging, Boob-ba-la!!! Fuhgeddiboutit!!!!!

Have a bagel with your favorite flavored cream cheese, some lox and an Espresso, Shan-Man!!!! lol lol

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Time for another episode of this show is almost upon us!!! Tune in and I doubt you will regret it, boys and girls!!!!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Plus, Chuck likes to be spanked
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Plus, Chuck likes to be spanked
    Hah!!! I was starting to think I was the only one here watching it!!! lol lol This last episode set the table for some great plot lines for the rest of this season. That's another thing that is cool about this show. A single season is not defined by a set scenario lain out in episode 1. The plot lines are developing and resolving all the time and not like is typically done in most shows. A plot can initiate in the third episode and not necessarily fully resolve itself by the season finale. And there are multiple storylines playing out that are all very well served each season.

LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!! LOL

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Isn't it on Showtime, not HBO? I'll update the thread title.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Correct.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oops, yes of course you are correct. I suppose when in doubt I default to, HBO.

Regardless, its a great show!!! You watching it, Mae?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I keep hearing great things but I no longer have Showtime unfortunately.

Country
    Country Flag

I keep hearing great things but I no longer have Showtime unfortunately.
    It may be on Netflix as well but I'm not sure.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

May 4th!!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I love Billions and have watched it since the beginning, can't wait for the new season. Great writing, great acting, you name it. Just top notch.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I love Billions and have watched it since the beginning, can't wait for the new season. Great writing, great acting, you name it. Just top notch.

AGREED!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I loved the bit about the signed Churchills (season 2, I believe). As a lover of books and an admirer of Churchill's (I have his Second World War set, but not signed (alas)), Axe's actions gave me heartburn, but it was quite the inspired detail.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

New season begins on 9/5/21!!!! My birthday as fate would have it!!!!! The long wait is finally going to be over. It will be nice to have the show back after the Covid interrupted last season that kinda left us hanging on the whole, Prince, Axe & Chuck plot line/competition!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Can't wait.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

S5 Ep. 9 - Best line of the show: "Nobody likes watching skull fuckery, wait, that's a lie"!!! LOL So glad this show is back again!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's great having Billions back.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I was a bit surprised this week to see...

Spoiler:
    Axe making a move for Wendy.

I suppose it's been hinted at before, but I always took it more as a more general possessiveness thing.

Moves like this often prove to be the undoing of good TV shows, but I don't think it will here, because I can only see it resulting in chaos, and Billions does chaos quite well (more generally, they have kickass writers who I'm sure will come up with something unusual).

I do think they need to lighten up on the whole...

Spoiler:
    "it's high time I/we took Chuck/Axe down for good" thing

...or at least, being so overt about putting it just that way. The battle lines have been drawn for some time, and the animosities are what they are, but when it's stated so starkly, that's when the show feels like it's in danger of repeating itself. Many shows run that risk after more than a few seasons, but Billions has managed that well, with shifts in characters' lives affecting their situations (professional and personal), motivations, appetites for conflict, etc.

Side note: I love Wags.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I was a bit surprised this week to see...

Spoiler:
    Axe making a move for Wendy.

I suppose it's been hinted at before, but I always took it more as a more general possessiveness thing.

Moves like this often prove to be the undoing of good TV shows, but I don't think it will here, because I can only see it resulting in chaos, and Billions does chaos quite well (more generally, they have kickass writers who I'm sure will come up with something unusual).

I do think they need to lighten up on the whole...

Spoiler:
    "it's high time I/we took Chuck/Axe down for good" thing

...or at least, being so overt about putting it just that way. The battle lines have been drawn for some time, and the animosities are what they are, but when it's stated so starkly, that's when the show feels like it's in danger of repeating itself. Many shows run that risk after more than a few seasons, but Billions has managed that well, with shifts in characters' lives affecting their situations (professional and personal), motivations, appetites for conflict, etc.

Side note: I love Wags.

Side note: I love Wags.[/QUOTE]

So do I and "Hard Bob" as well. Cool, that, Hard Bob is now working for him but I'm gonna miss, Spiro if he's gone for good. Very curious to see how the, Chuck Sr. plot plays out.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ...and "Hard Bob" as well.
    Me too (check out my signature - and I put that there before I knew he'd returned.)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

...and "Hard Bob" as well.
    Me too (check out my signature - and I put that there before I knew he'd returned.)
    Oh, I saw it before I posted. Matter of fact, I just may re-watch the last season up to present for, Sunday.

Spoiler:
    I'm very curious to see how the "Senior" plot plays out. Can't be something obvious as him being a double agent, could it?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, I saw it before I posted. Matter of fact, I just may re-watch the last season up to present for, Sunday.

Spoiler:
    I'm very curious to see how the "Senior" plot plays out. Can't be something obvious as him being a double agent, could it?
    In response to your spoiler:

Spoiler:
    I think it could, which be disappointingly predictable and simple; one thing Billions seems to do wrong is have twists or curveballs that the other side sees almost immediately, causing plot points to resolve in like 20 or 30 minutes rather than over a few episodes. Still, I shouldn't complain; it's a great show.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    In response to your spoiler:

Spoiler:
    I think it could, which be disappointingly predictable and simple; one thing Billions seems to do wrong is have twists or curveballs that the other side sees almost immediately, causing plot points to resolve in like 20 or 30 minutes rather than over a few episodes. Still, I shouldn't complain; it's a great show.
    Spoiler:
    Well, while he has traditionally shown a loyalty to his blood, Sr. has always been a bit of a "wild card' IMHO. I wouldn't put it past him to teach, Jr/ a warped lesson of some kind. Sr. was a, Baron of sorts in his day and loves the taste of green. Then there is the new family. The guy kinda warms my heart and reminds me of my days in the concrete jungle!!! (Pardon me waxing poetic here. lol lol)

Why does the board do that sometimes? I posted below the "Quote" in the text box!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast