View Poll Results: Please choose one

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home Alone

10 40.00%
  • The Big Lebowski

15 60.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1990s: Round 3 - Group 23 of 32 - Tiebreaker

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1990s: Round 3 - Group 23 of 32 - Tiebreaker

For the tiebreaker poll, please vote for one title to move on to the next round. The poll will be open for four days.

Home Alone (1990)
    Directed by Chris Columbus

Watch Trailer

The Big Lebowski (1998)
    Directed by Joel Coen

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Should be Home Alone. It's a Christmas classic!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Interestingly (or perhaps not), the (online) debate rages as to whether Home Alone is even a Christmas movie.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Home Alone has a very special place in my heart.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Interestingly (or perhaps not), the (online) debate rages as to whether Home Alone is even a Christmas movie.
    Home Alone suffers from the same problem Die Hard does. It's set during Christmas time and has a lot of Christmas decorations and references in the movie, but the time period really has very little to do with the plot of the movie.

They could have set the movie in the middle of July where everyone is gone for summer vacation rather than Christmas vacation and it would pretty much be the exact same movie.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

How is Home Alone not a Christmas movie?

The story is about wanting to be with your loved ones during Christmas.

The family forgets about him during Christmas, when familial bonds are supposed to be at their strongest.

The Old Neighbor's daughter finally returns to see her father after so many years apart, teaching Kevin about the healing power of Christmas.

John Candy's character goes out of his way to drive Kev's Mom home, in the spirit of Christmas.

It's absolutely a Christmas movie.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

These two posts pretty much sum up the positions out there.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    How is Home Alone not a Christmas movie?

The story is about wanting to be with your loved ones during Christmas.

The family forgets about him during Christmas, when familial bonds are supposed to be at their strongest.

The Old Neighbor's daughter finally returns to see her father after so many years apart, teaching Kevin about the healing power of Christmas.

John Candy's character goes out of his way to drive Kev's Mom home, in the spirit of Christmas.

It's absolutely a Christmas movie.
    I think you're putting too much into the "because it's Christmas" reasoning. It's possible to want to be with your family or do nice things for strangers during the other 11 months of the year too.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, this is playing out exactly as it has in other places. Minds can't be changed.

Honestly, I can see the other side and understand why people say certain movies are Christmas movies when other people say they aren't.

I just think there's a really fine line between a Christmas movie and a movie that happens to take place around Christmas time.

Iron Man 3 is a good example. It's set during Christmas time, but I've never heard anyone make the argument that it's a Christmas movie. Although I'm sure someone has.

Rocky IV is another one. But I'll admit that Home Alone blurs that line a little more than others.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Home Alone suffers from the same problem Die Hard does. It's set during Christmas time and has a lot of Christmas decorations and references in the movie, but the time period really has very little to do with the plot of the movie.

They could have set the movie in the middle of July where everyone is gone for summer vacation rather than Christmas vacation and it would pretty much be the exact same movie.
    I will never understand that argument.

The entire reason John MaClane is at Nakatomi Plaza is because of the Christmas party. Yes, it's important. It's one of the reasons why there aren't even more people in the building. They are gone for the Christmas break.

At the end of the film, McClane uses Christmas decorations to tape the gun behind his back. Yes, there are ways around these aspects of the film where you can apply it to any time of year, but you could theoretically do that for every Christmas film.

How about I counter with this, It's a Wonderful Life isn't a Christmas movie! A majority of the film doesn't even take place at Christmas!
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I will never understand that argument.

The entire reason John MaClane is at Nakatomi Plaza is because of the Christmas party. Yes, it's important. It's one of the reasons why there aren't even more people in the building. They are gone for the Christmas break.

At the end of the film, McClane uses Christmas decorations to tape the gun behind his back. Yes, there are ways around these aspects of the film where you can apply it to any time of year, but you could theoretically do that for every Christmas film.
    Like I said, it's a very fine line. Sure there are elements in the movie that use the fact that it's set during Christmas to move the story along. But the movie itself is not actually about Christmas or how the characters are celebrating the holiday, which is the key.

There are tons of Christmas movies where if you take out the Christmas factor you no longer have a movie. How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The entire The Santa Clause Trilogy, A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, Bad Santa, Santa Claus the Movie, Ernest Saves Christmas.

How about I counter with this, It's a Wonderful Life isn't a Christmas movie! A majority of the film doesn't even take place at Christmas!
    I'll agree with that.

I've never actually seen the movie but I've watched the Married With Children spoof of it called It's a Bundyful Life. It's another movie that takes place around Christmas but isn't really about the holiday itself.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Christmas is a logistical part of Die Hard, but not thematic (similar to a MacGuffin, except it's background, not a plot element or device) - I would say not a Christmas movie. I'd imagine there are people out there who remember Die Hard but have forgotten that it was even set at Christmas.

Home Alone traffics in Christmas themes, as detailed by fernandito above - definitely a Christmas movie.

In addition to using Christmas themes, the pivotal events of It's A Wonderful Life occur on Christmas Eve, many events not set at Christmas are actually just flashback, prayer is an element, and the movie's prime change agent is a freakin' angel - definite Christmas movie.

It's A Bundyful Life is definitely a Christmas episode of an ordinary (non-Christmas) sitcom, which isn't saying much; it's still more about why it's terrible (from Al's POV) to have a wife and kids (the same as every other episode of this show). Kinison was fun in this.

Country
    Country Flag

Fascinating discussion but Home Alone is still losing

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...only because TBL is better.

Country
    Country Flag

That’s just, like, your opinion, man...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

That’s just, like, your opinion, man...
    I don't f*cking care - it don't matter to Jesus.

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, we just hit 25 votes! Even the original poll had 23. More people voting is always good.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Christmas is a logistical part of Die Hard, but not thematic (similar to a MacGuffin, except it's background, not a plot element or device) - I would say not a Christmas movie. I'd imagine there are people out there who remember Die Hard but have forgotten that it was even set at Christmas.
    I honestly don't know how that's possible. The film is littered with Christmas from start to finish. It opens with a Christmas song and there are Christmas songs sprinkled throughout the film.

Ho, Ho, Ho - now I have a machine gun.

Christmas is such a huge part of the film.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'd imagine there are people out there who remember Die Hard but have forgotten that it was even set at Christmas.
    I honestly don't know how that's possible. The film is littered with Christmas from start to finish. It opens with a Christmas song and there are Christmas songs sprinkled throughout the film.

Ever eat a cupcake and you can’t remember the color of the sprinkles on the frosting afterward? It would be like that. Those things you mentioned are all sprinkles on a hostage movie.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd imagine there are people out there who remember Die Hard but have forgotten that it was even set at Christmas.

Ever eat a cupcake and you can’t remember the color of the sprinkles on the frosting afterward? It would be like that. Those things you mentioned are all sprinkles on a hostage movie.
    But the sprinkles are the best part!

My other pet peeve is when people call Hans Gruber and his crew terrorists. They are not terrorists! They are thieves. Nothing more. It's clearly stated in the film. Whenever I hear someone call them terrorists, it means they either haven't seen the film or didn't pay attention.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Tbh I don't think most people know exactly what the word terrorist means. The crucial part of that word is that the perpetrators are using violence or intimidation for ideological aims, mainly political.

Hans and Co just want that cheddar cheese.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Now would be a good time to point out that I haven’t seen Die Hard in years...

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The Big Lebowski moves on while Home Alone is eliminated.

+ Reply to Thread