Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Paul Tremblay

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I suppose likes or dislikes of a particular author are somewhat subjective, but there was a lot of good buzz about Tremblay so I tried a couple of his books. And disliked them both. Not kind of or sort of but really didn't like them. The plot of Survivor Song sounded fantastic. A quick spreading rabies virus. Hard to screw that one up. Wrong! What a snooze fest. I almost couldn't believe it. A couple hundred pages on a pregnant woman's attempt to get to the hospital. The book was apparently a rushed opportunity to prove how "hep" the author is by offering his inane political commentary on responding to a "virus." The hospitals are overrun and its all the fault of right wingers. Wow. A breathtaking exercise in boredom.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Even Paul recognizes the ambiguity of much of his writing..
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I suppose likes or dislikes of a particular author are somewhat subjective, but there was a lot of good buzz about Tremblay so I tried a couple of his books. And disliked them both. Not kind of or sort of but really didn't like them. The plot of Survivor Song sounded fantastic. A quick spreading rabies virus. Hard to screw that one up. Wrong! What a snooze fest. I almost couldn't believe it. A couple hundred pages on a pregnant woman's attempt to get to the hospital. The book was apparently a rushed opportunity to prove how "hep" the author is by offering his inane political commentary on responding to a "virus." The hospitals are overrun and its all the fault of right wingers. Wow. A breathtaking exercise in boredom.
    I can see how you can feel that way about the story. I am only half way through, so i cant judge more than that, but just so you know Survivor Song was written between July 2018 and August 2019, well before our present pandemic had even appeared. It is just one of those “synchronistic oddities” that sometimes appears. Paul doesn't need to be “hep” and take the easy route. He is a writer and a mathematician. He does his research and extrapolates possible outcomes. This one just happens to be uncomfortably close to reality.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I figured this book has been in the works for a couple of years now.

Not trying to be a dick, but perhaps you should refrain from making assumptions about his process of writing the book without actually knowing anything about it.

If this was just some rushed job in response to the current pandemic it probably wouldn't sit right with me either. But that's absolutely not what this is.
    It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GenericEric View Post
    Yeah, I figured this book has been in the works for a couple of years now.

Not trying to be a dick, but perhaps you should refrain from making assumptions about his process of writing the book without actually knowing anything about it.

If this was just some rushed job in response to the current pandemic it probably wouldn't sit right with me either. But that's absolutely not what this is.
    Have you read the book? There is zero doubt that certain aspects of this book were influenced by the current pandemic unless Tremblay is claiming to be Nostradamus. The fact that he may have worked on the book during a certain time period does not preclude the possibility of additions at a later time before publication.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Have you read the book? There is zero doubt that certain aspects of this book were influenced by the current pandemic unless Tremblay is claiming to be Nostradamus.
    I guess he’s Nostradamus because this book was turned in to the publisher in 2019.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Have you read the book? There is zero doubt that certain aspects of this book were influenced by the current pandemic unless Tremblay is claiming to be Nostradamus.
    I guess he’s Nostradamus because this book was turned in to the publisher in 2019.
    Yep
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah yes, instead of admitting you were way off base, let's double down on being wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Yep
    As i said, he does his research. 4 or even 2 years ago it took no stretch of the imagination to see we were not prepared for the kind of shit show we are living through now. He would not have needed to add anything at the last minute to make it topical. He simply built off of the predictions that others had been making for years.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Man, SST sure does nice work. Here are some pics of the signed/limited HC of GROWING THINGS AND OTHER STORIES that they just released:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...470358017?s=20

If there's a better bang-for-your-buck overseas publisher, I don't know who it is...SST increasingly reminds me of Subterranean Press (with an English accent), which is a good thing indeed.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Man, SST sure does nice work. Here are some pics of the signed/limited HC of GROWING THINGS AND OTHER STORIES that they just released:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...470358017?s=20

If there's a better bang-for-your-buck overseas publisher, I don't know who it is...SST increasingly reminds me of Subterranean Press (with an English accent), which is a good thing indeed.
    I agree. The customer service is great too. I asked Paul if he could match my numbers when I bought the 2nd released Tremblay - was it Cabin? - and he told me that as long as I order from him, he will automatically match it for me. I know own the 4 Tremblay books, all numbered 20.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

New double set of Paul Tremblay's early crime work, from Thunderstorm Books:

https://thunderstormbooks.com/thunde...-little-sleep/

If interested, you may want to hurry...the max print-run will be 300 and Paul's giving it 24 hours to do so (assuming 200 copies is reached before the clock starts), at which point it will be considered sold out.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Ordered. Thanks
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you. Also ordered.

Now I need to find Swallowing a Donkey's Eye at a decent price.

Glad you guys got your copies. Really looking forward to my copies as well...hopefully the wait between this pre-order and publication won't be too long, as Paul's pretty good about turning things around fast.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Anyone read these? $160 is some good scratch for a couple of books I've never really heard of... still- intrigued!

I have read them both and I consider them two of his best stories with an unforgettable character. The thought of a narcoleptic PI sounds like something out of a Mel Brooks movie and i was expecting tongue in cheek humor but this is far from that. If nothing else you will learns the horrors associated with narcolepsy, particularly the extreme effects. I would be buying this set in a instant if i had the money to spare right now. THAT BEING SAID, it may not be your cup of tea. It is at it’s core, a Straight up mystery novel. If you are not a fan of those, you may want to find some original copies at much cheaper prices and give those a try. Or give them a miss completely.
    I have asked, begged, wheedled, and several other forms of annoying pestering for Paul to do another story but as it stands he has no desire to do one. For me, that is a real bummer.
    Hope that help some!

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

I've put my order in and requested #97 to go with the five Tremblay books from SST Publications. I wonder what the final print run of this set will be...

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    I have read them both and I consider them two of his best stories with an unforgettable character. The thought of a narcoleptic PI sounds like something out of a Mel Brooks movie and i was expecting tongue in cheek humor but this is far from that. If nothing else you will learns the horrors associated with narcolepsy, particularly the extreme effects. I would be buying this set in a instant if i had the money to spare right now. THAT BEING SAID, it may not be your cup of tea. It is at it’s core, a Straight up mystery novel. If you are not a fan of those, you may want to find some original copies at much cheaper prices and give those a try. Or give them a miss completely.
    I have asked, begged, wheedled, and several other forms of annoying pestering for Paul to do another story but as it stands he has no desire to do one. For me, that is a real bummer.
    Hope that help some!
    Yes it does! Thanks so much!

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Just curious if anyone got a shipping notice for the SST edition of Survivor Song?

I noticed it switched from pre-order status to instock. I know Paul Fry recently said it'd be shipping soon.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Not yet.
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just curious if anyone got a shipping notice for the SST edition of Survivor Song?

I noticed it switched from pre-order status to instock. I know Paul Fry recently said it'd be shipping soon.
    I just got it today.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just got it today.
    Me too.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Yay! Just received the shipping notice.

I've actually been holding off reading it so I can read the SST edition first.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Excited, got mine also.
    Wish List:
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast