Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why did Andy tell them...?

Gunslinger Apprentice MPatrick is on a distinguished road MPatrick's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting point on the mad machines! I'm about to read through Wolves again. I started the series over, and just finished W&G. I've only read the last 3 once before, so I'm sure there's so much depth I've missed.

I'll certainly pay more attention to Andy this go 'round!

Traveler AnOutsider is on a distinguished road

I wonder if some of it can be placed on the folken? They didn't actually treat Andy very well

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ummmm not trying to be contreversial but, Bev Vincent has MUCH better access to SK than us and has written TRTTDT which was the result of numerous interviews so, if he says Andy got off on the panic the news caused should we really continue to speculate? just a thought.

It was a good question and I believe it was properly answered, but that's just me. Continue if you wish. MHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Ummmm not trying to be contreversial but, Bev Vincent has MUCH better access to SK than us and has written TRTTDT which was the result of numerous interviews so, if he says Andy got off on the panic the news caused should we really continue to speculate?
    Sure. Unless something is specifically stated there are no right and wrong answers even despite what the writer himself might think. If he didn't write it, it's open...

That being said I agree with Bev's statement. It did seem pretty clear to me that Andy was enjoying their pain. We get a taste of the real Andy particularly in the scene where Jake spies on him in the Dogan. I like the idea he has become more human though, but I'm sure it's not in the positive sense. He is a creature of malice now... within certain set parameters.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Ummmm not trying to be contreversial but, Bev Vincent has MUCH better access to SK than us and has written TRTTDT which was the result of numerous interviews so, if he says Andy got off on the panic the news caused should we really continue to speculate?
    Sure. Unless something is specifically stated there are no right and wrong answers even despite what the writer himself might think. If he didn't write it, it's open...

That being said I agree with Bev's statement. It did seem pretty clear to me that Andy was enjoying their pain. We get a taste of the real Andy particularly in the scene where Jake spies on him in the Dogan. I like the idea he has become more human though, but I'm sure it's not in the positive sense. He is a creature of malice now... within certain set parameters.
    Good points! For what it's worth, you've both (and Bev) made me even more psyched to read through this book again! Thanks...

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I've just finished my second reading of Wolves and I can totally see how Andy got off on the panic and misery his "message" brought. Andy was a trig bastard, and a bigger a$$hole then I originally remembered.

I love Andy as a character in this book, since I wanted to smash out his eyes and watch him squirm, but I hated him too. That's a great character, the ones you love to hate.

What a prick. I loved how the Tet picked up on it right away, his smug and smarmy ways.

Classic King villain.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree that Andy was there to keep an eye on the folken. I wonder what he originally supposed to be doing there?

I have the Simpsons game for the WII and for some reason I cant get the image of Andy as the giant Dunkin donuts robot, from the game, out of my head when I read.

Gunslinger Apprentice pinkymcfatfat is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

After reading the book, I thought that one of Andy's 'many other functions' was 'spy'.

I don't think he was ever insane, like Blaine ( if he had been, it would have been noticeable quite some time before and would have blown whatever cover he had), or re-programmed at any point. He was doing exactly what he was susposed to do, keep an eye on the locals (including reporting in how many available children there were) and keeping them afraid.

As for drawing the Gunslingers into the whole ordeal..is it possible they had been sighted before and there was a APB out on them? Andy very well might have reported them into whatever powers that were and been told to draw them into the battle. Not only in hopes of killing them, but to give more time for the final beams to be broken.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My opinion was Andy was the kind of smug bastard who would love to demonstrate just how much thicker the "simple folk" were compared to him. To see how long it take for someone to ask where he gets his knowledge from, to see how many people would just accept that.

It wouldn't be the primary reason he would've announced the coming of the wolves - as plenty of people have said before, the most likely was to spread fear and panic, just because he was a total psychopath - but being a smug bastard might've been an extra incentive.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

John F. Kennedy grobblewobble will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Innocent

First off, I think "programming" was just Andy's favourite excuse; he had his personal motives. He despised the Calla folk after being used, misused and mistreated by them for over 2000(!) years. I do feel sympathy for him, everyone saw him as annoying and a mere tool, while he was as capable of feelings as a human being. After 2000 years of being looked down upon and treated like a slave by those humans who could barely even count, it is only too understandable that he had started to hate them. So yeah.. he enjoyed spreading misery with the bad news.

I felt the end of Andy was a tragedy.

That said, there is also the question why he was informed about it by the wolves in the first place. It was not merely Andy's own decision; the wolves apparently wanted Andy to warn the citizens in advance. Andy regularly parlayed with (the leaders of) the wolves in the Dogan, after all. And their motives are beautifully captured by Jean, in my opinion:

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I think it's because no inhuman ruling wants to pose as such. Be it fascism or communism, or any other dragon demanding human sacrifices, the ideology never says, "we're tyrants, we'll rape and rob you daily because such is our desire." Everything is done for some good aim, and it is always emphasised that no excessive cruelty is ever imposed. Children are brought back, after all. We don't want anything that doesn't belong to us. We have used the kids for the sake of the Greater Good you're all unable to understand, and now here they are, you can have them, we're no robbers.

The warning gag is even more perverted... it's to make everyone feel that nothing happens by anyone's whim, but in accordance with elaborate procedure; and procedure is enough to create appearance of something useful being done. Remember how meticulously the nazi kept their accounts of all shoes, hair, golden teeth? How much paperwork communist regimes produced? It's the same. Bureaucracy is the shield between the horrible shameless reality of a power and the victims of that power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3