Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why did Andy tell them...?

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Haha!! They'll never find me!!!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    I think Andy was being used...
    I think he was reprogrammed just as the Terminators were repogrammed to help John Conner rather than kill him, but I think it was the opposite way with Andy. Originally he was a mildly annoying horoscope-bot who was reprogrammed with fiendish purposes in mind... And yes, I did feel sorry for The Terminator at the end of Terminator 2 because I felt he had surpassed his programming and became more human, just as I empathized with Data from Star trek.
    If Andy were human, I would say he was brainwashed...
    That's my theory so far at least..
    But he could very well just originally have been programmed for nefarious plots and just had the interesting little songs and ditties installed to cover up his evil plans...
    I'm not SK I do not know the answer.
    i have to disagree. i think that cruel spark was already there, the reprogramming just allowed him to unleash it.
    By the way, did something happen to data that i don't know about?

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Awwwwwww... nobody agrees with me....

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i really got the feeling that andy hated the folken - as much as a robot can hate. he seemed to have that, i don't know, sinister feeling to him. i didn't like him from the very first time he showed up. and then when it turned out he was a traitor i thought well that explains that. i really thought it was just him though, so when it turned out that slightman the elder was in on it i was really very sad.

as for why he was doing it. programming? maybe. but like i said, i really just think he didn't like those folken. i think he felt like they thought they were better than him. i don't know why i got that feeling - just in every interaction it was like there was something bubbling under his surface.

sorry my dear my dear foxy llama - bet you feel like i feel with greta.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

The more I read about that walking can the more I can't stand him.

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Worried

Hey, maybe there's a reason Andy ended up not liking them...

I mean treating him like he was useless all those years, not appreciating him, and then his bad programming or deteroriating programming on top of it...

Maybe he was going insane like Blaine...

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is no reason for letting little children die.

My Mood
    Worried

No reason for a sane person or robot...

If I felt he was working properly I would have no sympathy for him. Also, I would detest his makers.

Who were his makers?

Country
    Country Flag

I don't feel Andy was insane. He did what he was programmed to do still I can't stand him. I don't think he had any other choice (he has neither own personality nor soul nor mind) but the way he acts makes me so damn angry with him.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Who were his makers?
    I believe North Central Positronics. Didn't they also create Data?

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I don't feel Andy was insane. He did what he was programmed to do still I can't stand him. I don't think he had any other choice (he has neither own personality nor soul nor mind) but the way he acts makes me so damn angry with him.
    I agree to an extent. I do think that Andy had some choice in the how of what he did, though, and I think he intentionally chose the how that would hurt the townfolks the most. And that's the area where I believe their treatment of him had an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Who were his makers?
    Doctor Noonien Soong worked for NCP? Woah.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

i think it had nothing to do with programming or hate and was all about getting the most of whatever it was the wolves took from the twins. think about it, it was some chemical/hormonal quality that they needed. if andy, or a predecessor, gave the calla enough warning-everyone goes in to full "fight or flight" mode, adrenaline and about a thousand other things start pumping through the brain and body....think of it as a psychological marinade.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    i think it had nothing to do with programming or hate and was all about getting the most of whatever it was the wolves took from the twins. think about it, it was some chemical/hormonal quality that they needed. if andy, or a predecessor, gave the calla enough warning-everyone goes in to full "fight or flight" mode, adrenaline and about a thousand other things start pumping through the brain and body....think of it as a psychological marinade.
    Hrm, sounds like you do think it was programming, then. If that's what was needed from the twins (and I think that's an awesome theory, btw), then he would need to be programmed to ensure that's how it went. Even so, I feel like he derived pleasure from it. I think that, like Blaine, Andy was capable of rudimentary feelings.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Who were his makers?
    You Rock Razz...

Traveler AnOutsider is on a distinguished road

Default Andy... why?

I searched and didn't see this brought up, but one thing that kept bugging me: WHY did Andy warn the calla folk that the wolves were coming? Why did he get them to reach out the the gunslingers?

I'd originally thought that maybe he was really a good robot that was trying to fight his programming, but after finishing the book, it's clear that that's not the case.

Any thoughts?

*edt* nevermind, was messing up my search. Found this thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ead.php?t=2219

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Hi outsider, Welcome to the site.Interesting question...
    I thought it was his programming that made him do it.
    In any event the computers werent funtioning at all well anyway
    were they? Maybe it was just a glitch, but I am not sure about it at all.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Andy enjoyed the desperation and panic his announcement caused among the Calla folken.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Why did Andy blab about the wolves? "Messenger; many other functions" is about all we need to know on that question.
    As far as Andy getting the folken to reach out to the gunslingers...if I remember correctly, it was the Old Fella who convinced the men at the town meeting to go to the ka-tet and ask for their help. Andy spread the news about the gunslingers' arrival, though.

Country
    Country Flag

Nevermind, Outsider. Welcome to the site. We will merge the two threads soon.

Traveler The Dancing Clown is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

My personal theory is that he's an arse.
    " Say, the wolves're comin'. I know what they come for, and how they always know where the children are hidden, but I'm not telling you because you treat me like a pile of scrap. So, up yours."

... That's the mentality, anyway. The likelyness of Andy saying something like that is nihil, but you get the idea.

Traveler AnOutsider is on a distinguished road

I tend to agree with you guys. Andy's an asterisk.

Finishing up book 7 now so I can join in more discussions This was just one issue I thought was never resolved by king in the book

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's because andy like blaine became more humanlike as time wore on and part of that involved him telling the calla folk that the wolves were coming, yeah he was on the side of the CK but telling the calla folk that the wolves were coming satisfied that little bit of him that felt honestly bad
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with the idea that over time Andy, like Blaine, took on some human qualities. But, I don't think he ever felt bad for telling the people about the wolves. I think he enjoyed it. I always imagined that he rather enjoyed the panic he would cause. Each time he got to see everyone run around like crazy people for a month (or more).
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Right, right , the machines gone mad

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast