12 44.44%
  • Ravenous

6 22.22%
  • Miller's Crossing

5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1990s: Round 1 - Group 8 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1990s: Round 1 - Group 8 of 32

During the first round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to six films you would like to move onto the next round. The top six films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

The English Patient (1996)
    Directed by Anthony Minghella

Watch Trailer

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)
    Directed by Mel Brooks

Watch Trailer

The Wedding Singer (1998)
    Directed by Frank Coraci

Watch Trailer

Independence Day (1996)
    Directed by Roland Emmerich

Watch Trailer

The Lion King (1994)
    Directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff

Watch Trailer

Thelma & Louise (1991)
    Directed by Ridley Scott

Watch Trailer

Ravenous (1999)
    Directed by Antonia Bird

Watch Trailer

Miller's Crossing (1990)
    Directed by Joel Coen

Watch Trailer

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

We're Men
    We're Men in Tights
    we roam around the woods looking for fights

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Wedding Singer is possibly the perfect movie and Julia Sullivan (Drew Barrymore's character) is pretty much the perfect girl.

And then you have Buscemi and Lovitz.

And Billy Idol.

And you have Frank Sivero - and his compelling hair.

And George.

They were cones...

...Robby and Juuuuulia-ha-ha!
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    The Wedding Singer is possibly the perfect movie and Julia Sullivan (Drew Barrymore's character) is pretty much the perfect girl.

And then you have Buscemi and Lovitz.

And Billy Idol.

And you have Frank Sivero - and his compelling hair.

And George.

They were cones...

...Robby and Juuuuulia-ha-ha!
    I'm actually a pretty big Adam Sandler fan, but I don't understand all the praise The Wedding Singer always seems to receive. For me it's an OK movie but not one of his better ones. Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, The Longest Yard and Click (which is terribly underrated IMO) are probably top 5. The Wedding Singer falls somewhere below those, but definitely above something like Little Nicky or Jack and Jill (shudder).

For a Sandler/Barrymore pair-up, I prefer 50 First Dates.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

why is Independence Day over Lion King

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    ...I don't understand all the praise The Wedding Singer always seems to receive.
    ...and yet YOU WILL LISTEN TO EVERY DAMN WORD I HAVE TO SAY!

(NOTE: this is a Wedding Singer quote, in case anyone thinks I'm actually harassing Iwritecode)

FWIW, I'm one of the 5 people that enjoyed Jack & Jill.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...Click (which is terribly underrated IMO)...
    I didn't even see that you mentioned Click until like the third time I read your post.

Click definitely looks, on the surface, like just another silly/dumb Sandler movie, and for many people, that's all they'll see when they watch it (especially given all the sex and fart jokes etc., not that I have anything against those, of course).

But lurking under the dubious surface lurks something that may be, dare I say it...profound. About family, priorities, the passage of time, the things we take for granted. What starts out as a semi-moronic "what-if?" tale somehow ends up heartbreaking in like 3 different ways.

I don't drink much anymore, but if I did, I'd be afraid to watch this after I'd have a few, because it might just make me weep.

Underrated? You know it.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

...Click (which is terribly underrated IMO)...
    I didn't even see that you mentioned Click until like the third time I read your post.

Click definitely looks, on the surface, like just another silly/dumb Sandler movie, and for many people, that's all they'll see when they watch it (especially given all the sex and fart jokes etc., not that I have anything against those, of course).

But lurking under the dubious surface lurks something that may be, dare I say it...profound. About family, priorities, the passage of time, the things we take for granted. What starts out as a semi-moronic "what-if?" tale somehow ends up heartbreaking in like 3 different ways.

I don't drink much anymore, but if I did, I'd be afraid to watch this after I'd have a few, because it might just make me weep.

Underrated? You know it.
    Well said. It's one of my favorite movies overall.

Plus having Kate Beckinsale with her "rockin bod" helps too.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...having Kate Beckinsale with her "rockin bod" helps too.
    You ain't lyin'.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think The Wedding Singer is one of my favorite comedies. Not a big Sandler fan but that movie always gives me warm feelings. I think it's peak Drew Barrymore.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Miller's Crossing! Let's go, guys! Classic Coen Brothers film.

I didn't get a chance to post this awesome scene. Turturro is amazing!

Watch Scene (Spoiler)
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Wedding Singer is possibly the perfect movie
    It is.

Very sorry to see English Patient lose.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Wedding Singer is possibly the perfect movie (...)
    I'm actually a pretty big Adam Sandler fan, but I don't understand all the praise The Wedding Singer always seems to receive. For me it's an OK movie but not one of his better ones.
    That may be the point; probably to really appreciate his better movies you have to be a fan of his and this type of films. I find all of them rather good, and I really like Billy Madison (I think I either nominated or at least seconded it?); however, it is very specific, it's like eating sushi made of ginger, soya sauce and vasabi alone. TWS may taste flat comparing to this assortment, but feels somehow more nutritious, in a more convential way. I mean, it is just an ordinary romantic comedy (which his other films are not), but very good: witty and funny and moving and all that

My daughter collected these dolls called Monster High dolls. The premise is that they are the offspring to the classic monsters. Like Dracula's daughter is named Draculaura. Frankie Stein is the daughter of Frankenstein's monster and his bride, Clawdeen Wolf is the daughter of the Werewolf, etc...

Well one the characters is named Ghoulia Yelps and she's the daughter of a zombie. So I'd always ask my daughter if her name was Julia Ghoulia and she'd always get made at me.

Country
    Country Flag

More Ravenous love please

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    The Wedding Singer is possibly the perfect movie (...)
    I'm actually a pretty big Adam Sandler fan, but I don't understand all the praise The Wedding Singer always seems to receive. For me it's an OK movie but not one of his better ones.
    That may be the point; probably to really appreciate his better movies you have to be a fan of his and this type of films. I find all of them rather good, and I really like Billy Madison (I think I either nominated or at least seconded it?); however, it is very specific, it's like eating sushi made of ginger, soya sauce and vasabi alone. TWS may taste flat comparing to this assortment, but feels somehow more nutritious, in a more convential way. I mean, it is just an ordinary romantic comedy (which his other films are not), but very good: witty and funny and moving and all that

I tried rewatching Billy Madison recently I it just doesn't hold up for me. The Wedding Singer is a decent film, but the only 2 90's Sandler comedies that I can still enjoy are Happy Gilmore and especially The Waterboy, which is just so audacious and I love the supporting cast so much in it.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

I definitely have to rewatch The Waterboy.

Now am extremely surprised by the spectacular failure of The English Patient. Something I definitely did not expect.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    More Ravenous love please
    I saw this one in the theater, and was really surprised I found someone willing to see it with me. I remember very little of the film other then feeling let down as I left the theater. Any time I see a movie at the theater I usually buy the movie on disc when it comes out, probably at least 80% of the time. This one I didn't even consider it.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Independence Day (74.07%)
    2. The Lion King (74.07%)
    3. The Wedding Singer (44.44%)
    4. Thelma & Louise (44.44%)
    5. Robin Hood: Men in Tights (37.04%)
    6. Ravenous (22.22%)

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Miller's Crossing (18.52%)
    2. The English Patient (18.52%)

Country
    Country Flag

so sorry The English Patient lost. So really, truly, deeply sorry.

+ Reply to Thread