Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1435

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    No Lloyd? Safety Last would go far I think.
    In my top 8, but these four probably have more recognition.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Looked at a list of top 55 movies of the 20's, seen most of one, heard of 2. Don't think I am qualified to participate. (seen most of Nosferatu, think I quit before it was done), and I have heard of Metropolis).
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Looked at a list of top 55 movies of the 20's, seen most of one, heard of 2. Don't think I am qualified to participate. (seen most of Nosferatu, think I quit before it was done), and I have heard of Metropolis).
    If you're interested in participating, lots of these 100-year old movies are available for free on YouTube so you can catch them any time and for free. Well worth going through one of those lists I shared earlier and looking up anything that catches your eye. Metropolis is a big one and is a must-see.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Mae - at one point you spoke of possible combining the 1910s and the 1920s. Did you ditch this idea?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Mae - at one point you spoke of possible combining the 1910s and the 1920s. Did you ditch this idea?
    Kinda, yeah. I mean it’s still something we could do, but then it really wouldn’t be the 1920s, and what if a movie from the 1910s would win? I think it makes sense to limit it to the 1920s, as this gives us an even century of cinema, from 1920 to 2019. This is also when feature films really began. Sure there were features as early as 1915 or so, but they were usually the exception, not the rule.

So yeah, even though it’s a fascinating decade actually and contains some essential movies, like Intolerance, it would be difficult to work it into our current format. Unless we had an actual 1910s tournament, and I doubt we could get enough nominations and participation to make it work.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The 75 Best Movies of the 1920s

That's a pretty cool list too^

Pop culture fans in particular might be interested in The Man Who Laughs. The Joker wouldn't exist without this film.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    The 75 Best Movies of the 1920s

That's a pretty cool list too^

Pop culture fans in particular might be interested in The Man Who Laughs. The Joker wouldn't exist without this film.
    Yup, I included it in my post earlier here: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...=1#post1272426

I love lists but they start off with Caligari at the bottom. Really?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah Caligari at 75 tripped me out too. Its a great film and highly regarded. There are really 74 films of that era better than it? Really?...

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah Caligari at 75 tripped me out too. Its a great film and highly regarded. There are really 74 films of that era better than it? Really?...
    They're just Nic Cage haters.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Kinda, yeah. I mean it’s still something we could do, but then it really wouldn’t be the 1920s, and what if a movie from the 1910s would win? I think it makes sense to limit it to the 1920s, as this gives us an even century of cinema, from 1920 to 2019. This is also when feature films really began. Sure there were features as early as 1915 or so, but they were usually the exception, not the rule.

So yeah, even though it’s a fascinating decade actually and contains some essential movies, like Intolerance, it would be difficult to work it into our current format. Unless we had an actual 1910s tournament, and I doubt we could get enough nominations and participation to make it work.
    It was more of a query - thanks for your thoughts, and thanks for organizing this.

Country
    Country Flag

My pleasure! My hope is people find this entertaining and educational.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

No, there are not
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

While I haven't participated as much in recent tournaments, I tip my cap to Mae. What a massive undertaking this has been. It's provided all of us with countless hours of fun and entertainment. Thank you.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    While I haven't participated as much in recent tournaments, I tip my cap to Mae. What a massive undertaking this has been. It's provided all of us with countless hours of fun and entertainment. Thank you.
    You’re welcome, and I’m sorry you haven’t been able to participate more. Maybe this round coming up.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Hi everyone! A quick announcement that I'll be opening up our final nominations thread for the 1920s in two weeks, on July 10. See you soon!

Country
    Country Flag

It's my great pleasure to announce that our 1920s nominations were a success and the final tenth portion of our Great Movie Tournament will begin in about two weeks, on Monday, August 7! This will be the smallest and quickest part of the overall tournament, with only 80 entries, so we'll be done before Halloween! Maybe it'll be a spooky movie that wins this decade?

The first post has been updated with the upcoming schedule! See y'all soon!

Country
    Country Flag

Hi all, just a quick programming update! Round 1 will now begin a weak earlier, so this upcoming Monday the 31st! Apologies for kind of a last minute change, but I'll be away a few days that second week of August, so wouldn't have been able to create the polls. The schedule in the first post has been updated.

See you soon! Get your voting fingers ready!

Country
    Country Flag

And here we go! Our final part of the tournament has started. As you can see from the schedule in the first post, this will be the quickest one we've had so far, and I'm hoping the voting can turn out a decent result for this fascinating and all-important decade of movies.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Kinda sad that the voting numbers have really dwindled. There are some great movies in this decade.

Country
    Country Flag

Kinda sad that the voting numbers have really dwindled. There are some great movies in this decade.
    Yes, this was such a pioneering decade with some of the best movies ever made being produced. Sadly, it's hard for a lot of people to get into silent movies, and that's understandable. You can't really watch them the same as today's movies. But it's a very rewarding experience. Though it looks like we've had up to 8 people voting so far, so that's not too bad if we can keep that up.

This is why, instead of trailers, I added the full movies, since most if not all of them are now in the public domain. So people can actually easily check them out, if they haven't. Plus there aren't usually trailers for 100 year old movies.

Country
    Country Flag

Hi folks, quick programming note. I'll be out of town until Sunday night so won't be able to close out the remaining open polls when they close, including posting any tiebreaker polls (I believe there's currently one which I'm hoping we can avoid).

Country
    Country Flag

And so the Third Round of the 1920s has come to an end, and we'll be starting the playoffs on Monday! I know participation has been lower here, understandably, but I still would like to thank everyone, whether you're voting (much thanks!) or nor (thanks for indulging us movie nerds)!

I also haven't kept up with the usual standings after each round, I apologize. Here's the standings after three rounds:

Moving on:
    1. Metropolis 300.00%
    2. Nosferatu 300.00%
    3. The Phantom of the Opera 280.00%
    4. Safety Last! 275.00%
    5. The Gold Rush 260.00%
    6. The Lodger 260.00%
    7. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari 251.43%
    8. The Circus 246.67%
    9. The Kid 243.33%
    10. The General 226.67%
    11. Battleship Potemkin 220.00%
    12. Napoleon 206.67%
    13. Faust 200.00%
    14. Steamboat Bill, Jr. 182.86%
    15. The Ten Commandments 157.14%
    16. Laugh, Clown, Laugh 150.00%

Eliminated:
    1. The Lost World
    2. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
    3. Spies
    4. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
    5. Pandora's Box
    6. The Passion of Joan of Arc
    7. The Man Who Laughs
    8. Sunrise
    9. Woman in the Moon
    10. The Cocoanuts
    11. Blackmail
    12. He Who Gets Slapped
    13. Sherlock, Jr.
    14. Nanook of the North
    15. The Last Laugh
    16. The Pilgrim
    17. The Fall of the House of Usher
    18. Way Down East
    19. Die Nibelungen
    20. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    21. Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler
    22. Body and Soul
    23. A Woman of Paris
    24. Greed
    25. Our Hospitality
    26. The Unholy Three
    27. 3 Bad Men
    28. Diary of a Lost Girl
    29. The Mark of Zorro
    30. Man with a Movie Camera
    31. The Cameraman
    32. The Unknown
    33. Strike
    34. Battling Butler
    35. Girl Shy
    36. Robin Hood
    37. Salomé
    38. The Freshman
    39. The King of Kings
    40. The Phantom Carriage
    41. The Seashell and the Clergyman
    42. The Thief of Bagdad
    43. The Wind
    44. The Cat and the Canary
    45. The Crowd
    46. The Golem
    47. Michael
    48. Speedy
    49. The Big Parade
    50. The Hands of Orlac
    51. The Last Command
    52. The Penalty
    53. The Toll of the Sea
    54. Flesh and the Devil
    55. Häxan
    56. Seven Chances
    57. The Adventures of Prince Achmed
    58. The Iron Horse
    59. The Scarlet Letter
    60. Wings
    61. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
    62. Hallelujah
    63. Our Dancing Daughters
    64. West of Zanzibar

And yes, both Metropolis and Nosferatu have kept a perfect record through three rounds. Also, that's three Chaplin movies in the Top 16.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I do wish Greed, The Passion of Joan of Arc and Sunrise were still around but a great list!

Country
    Country Flag

And now only eight movies remain! The Quarterfinals start on Monday.

Moving on:
    1. Metropolis 380.00%
    2. The Phantom of the Opera 380.00%
    3. Nosferatu 366.67%
    4. Safety Last! 355.00%
    5. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari 334.76%
    6. The Lodger 331.43%
    7. The Circus 326.67%
    8. The Gold Rush 326.67%

Eliminated:
    1. The Kid 263.33%
    2. The General 260.00%