Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1435

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    You guys are really doing the 30’s? Wow. I hope we take the top 10 from each decade and do one. I just am no good past the 70’s. I just can’t watch the films. And I have tried!
    I think the plan is to do the 20's too, but I think that is going too far.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You guys are really doing the 30’s? Wow.
    The thirties is one of the best decades, movie-wise.
    So many absolute treasures.

sk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    You guys are really doing the 30’s? Wow. I hope we take the top 10 from each decade and do one. I just am no good past the 70’s. I just can’t watch the films. And I have tried!
    I think the plan is to do the 20's too, but I think that is going too far.
    Fewer people might participate in the 1920s, true, but come on, Metropolis, Nosferatu, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Passion of Joan of Arc, The Man Who Laughs? So many classics!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I want to thank each and every person who's made a nomination or a seconding as we wrapped up our 1930s nominations today. This has been such a long tournament and I can't believe we're starting to see the finish line! This has been such a joy to run this event, with all of life's trials and tribulations. Movies are a special kind of entertainment that can transport us and transform us. They're time capsules and time machines. It's why I find the 1930s so endlessly fascinating and looking forward to start voting on this decade probably most of all.

I've updated the first post of this thread with the schedule. As you can see, we have three full weeks before Round 1 starts. In the next few days I want to post a list of where each movie seems to be streaming, and I hope we all can take advantage of this time and catch up with the nominees or refresh our memories if it's been years and decades since we've seen some of these classics.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thank you for all your hard work and organizing the tournaments for us Mae. Can't wait for the voting to begin.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    You guys are really doing the 30’s? Wow.
    The thirties is one of the best decades, movie-wise.
    So many absolute treasures.

sk
    One of, maybe. It doesn't hold a candle to the 70s, 90s, and 60s though. Even the 2000's clear it.

Country
    Country Flag

Just a quick reminder that the 1930s tournament begins on Monday, February 6!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yesterday, the first Round of the 1930s came to a close (we have one stray tiebreaker which will end after Round 2 starts, but won't impact any of the earlier groups). Thank you so much to everyone who voted, we had some unexpectedly great turnout with this much older decade of movies! But this includes some of the best known movies of all time. And my hope is that folks use this opportunity to check out some of the other lesser known films moving on through the rounds, as each of the 96 nominees and even the ones left unseconded, are worth a look.

Round 2 starts on Monday!

Country
    Country Flag

Standings after the first round of the 1930s:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Alice Adams did well.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I can't remember if I nominated it or seconded it but that was my entry. I did not vote for it because it was up against two other better films.

Country
    Country Flag

Everyone's participation is very appreciated! Things will keep getting more difficult from here on out. Here are the standings after Round 2:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

How depressing that Chaplin's final silent film doesn't move on. Some believe it's one of the top 50 movies OF ALL TIME!

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

We're now into the playoffs! Though, technically, the last couple of rounds were all one-on-one polls anyway. Here are the standings going in:

Moving on:
    1. Frankenstein 274.12%
    2. Dracula 257.61%
    3. The Mummy 254.95%
    4. King Kong 253.15%
    5. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 251.91%
    6. The Wizard of Oz 240.65%
    7. All Quiet on the Western Front 238.92%
    8. The Bride of Frankenstein 234.50%
    9. M 230.51%
    10. Gone with the Wind 227.39%
    11. The Man Who Knew Too Much 219.89%
    12. The Invisible Man 216.16%
    13. The Lady Vanishes 196.11%
    14. A Night at the Opera 182.50%
    15. City Lights 181.70%
    16. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 178.06%

Eliminated:
    1. The 39 Steps 223.33%
    2. Duck Soup 203.33%
    3. The Public Enemy 182.50%
    4. Goodbye, Mr. Chips 177.50%
    5. Mutiny on the Bounty 171.19%
    6. White Zombie 164.04%
    7. Little Caesar 163.81%
    8. It Happened One Night 156.67%
    9. Animal Crackers 154.77%
    10. Bringing Up Baby 152.49%
    11. Gunga Din 152.27%
    12. The Thin Man 151.99%
    13. Stagecoach 148.71%
    14. Mystery of the Wax Museum 144.29%
    15. You Can't Take It with You 126.14%
    16. The Blue Angel 122.35%

Funny seeing The Invisible Man and The Lady Vanishes on the list back to back

Country
    Country Flag

And we are now down to the Quarterfinals, which begin on Monday!

Moving on:
    1. King Kong 346.48%
    2. Dracula 338.86%
    3. Frankenstein 334.12%
    4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 325.24%
    5. The Wizard of Oz 321.90%
    6. The Bride of Frankenstein 313.07%
    7. The Mummy 311.20%
    8. All Quiet on the Western Front 300.46%

Eliminated:
    1. M 270.51%
    2. The Man Who Knew Too Much 263.64%
    3. Gone with the Wind 246.14%
    4. The Invisible Man 222.83%
    5. The Lady Vanishes 222.78%
    6. City Lights 220.16%
    7. A Night at the Opera 201.25%
    8. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 199.49%

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I guess I haven't been paying attention to the overall standing because I thought Wizard of Oz would be ranked number 1. Shocked that it's currently at number 5.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I guess I haven't been paying attention to the overall standing because I thought Wizard of Oz would be ranked number 1. Shocked that it's currently at number 5.
    I'm shocked that it's still in the tournament.

Country
    Country Flag

I’m hoping it wins actually!

The Wizard of Oz should win since it's the best film left but it won't.
    Reading Fairy Tale now and King references it yet again in his work.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wizard of Oz wasn't even popular upon release. It took a decade until people started to like it.
    I can't stand the movie.

Country
    Country Flag

It would be my pick for top film of the decade. It's just so iconic. I always thought it was universally loved.

I can't believe The Mummy made it. Such a boring movie! And over so many deserving films too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast