Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 58 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1435

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Maybe start with 224 or 192, and play it by ear with how the nominations are going. If 192 is reached quickly then up it to the next?
    That sounds like a good plan to me. Shoot for 192 but move up to 224 if there are still nominations/seconds coming in.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

192 is my vote.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just as an aside, halfway through the tournament we have went through 1344 nominated films with an additional 301 nominations that were not seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

Also, thinking ahead to the second half, I have been playing around with math and round structure, and I'm thinking this could work:
    • 1960s: 192 nominations (skipping regular Round 1, starting with the regular Round 2: 32 groups of 6 titles - top 4 move on; rest the same)
    • 1950s: 160 nominations (skipping regular Round 1, starting with the new Round 1: 32 groups of 5 titles - top 4 move on; rest the same)
    • 1940s: 128 nominations (starting with the new Round 1: 32 groups of 4 titles - top 3 move on; new Round 2: 32 groups of 3 - top 2 move on; new Round 3: 16 groups of 4 - top 2 moves on; new Round 4: 16 groups of 2 - top 1 moves on; skipping regular Round 5; rest the same)
    • 1930s: 96 nominations (starting with the new Round 1: 32 groups of 3 titles - top 2 move on; new Round 2: 32 groups of 2 - top 1 moves on; new Round 3: 16 groups of 2 - top 1 moves on; skipping regular Rounds 4 and 5; rest the same)
    • 1920s: 80 nominations (starting with the new Round 1: 16 groups of 5 titles - top 3 move on; new Round 2: 16 groups of 3 - top 2 move on; new Round 3: 16 groups of 2 - top 1 moves on; skipping regular Rounds 4 and 5; rest the same)

Hope that makes sense to everyone and I think we can definitely come up with this many nominations. The only issue might arise with the 1920s, and I would like to shoot for 80, but we could drop that to 64 worst case (though that seems like really short-changing that pioneering decade). But, we are still a long way away from the '20s, and since this is the 100th anniversary of those films, I challenge everyone to try and watch some films from the 1920s you may have always heard about but never watched. A lot of them can be found freely on YouTube.

One added cool bonus to this, we would end up with an even 2000 nominated films for this entire event.

Country
    Country Flag

And finally, to elaborate further, once all ten decades are done, we will take the ten decade winners and first place them into a round-robin for seeding purposes, so each movie will face off against every other movie once (not sure if we should do points or combined percentages again) and then they will be seeded accordingly as such: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:10TeamBracket

Or we could skip the round-robin, as the pairings would be the same both in the round-robin and playoff sections of this final phase (so we'd be essentially voting twice on the same polls), and simply rank and seed based on the overall percentage earned during that film's decade tournament.

Can't wait!

Country
    Country Flag

By the way, in addition to HBO Max having lots of classics to stream, you can also stream with TCM and your cable provider: https://www.tcm.com/watchtcm (Right now I'm watching the new restoration of the 1926 comedy So This Is Paris, directed by the great Ernst Lubitsch, and it's pretty hilarious!)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Or we could skip the round-robin, as the pairings would be the same both in the round-robin and playoff sections of this final phase (so we'd be essentially voting twice on the same polls), and simply rank and seed based on the overall percentage earned during that film's decade tournament.
    Answering myself, but I think that's what we'll do. I've added each winner's total percentage to the first post.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

And finally, to elaborate further, once all ten decades are done, we will take the ten decade winners and first place them into a round-robin for seeding purposes, so each movie will face off against every other movie once (not sure if we should do points or combined percentages again) and then they will be seeded accordingly as such: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:10TeamBracket

Can't wait!
    I actually like the round robin approach. As winners for each decade they deserve to go up against each other as least once to determine seeding. Seems like the only way to create fair seeding. We are not talking about a lot of movies/rounds.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

Can't wait!
    I actually like the round robin approach. As winners for each decade they deserve to go up against each other as least once to determine seeding. Seems like the only way to create fair seeding. We are not talking about a lot of movies/rounds.
    Well, that's what I thought too, but then after the round-borin round they would face off again in the tournament final and wouldn't that seem repetitive?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Just do them by percentages earned during their respective tournaments.

Country
    Country Flag

Hi everyone! Just a quick reminder that the 1960s nominations begin July 1!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking forward to it!

Country
    Country Flag

Hi everyone! Just a quick reminder that the 1960s nominations begin July 1!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have about 60 ready to go.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I jotted down about 35, limiting myself to movies I scored 4 - 5 stars out of 5. If I opened it up to 3 - 3.5 stars, I'd have another handful.

Almost all of my top list are Japanese.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have one. Rosemary’s Baby. 😂 sorry guys… I love love movies but just don’t do well with the older ones. I’ll be around to see but won’t be much help. And don’t have a fav to win. Does anyone have one they think is a shoe in to win?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I have one. Rosemary’s Baby. 😂 sorry guys… I love love movies but just don’t do well with the older ones. I’ll be around to see but won’t be much help. And don’t have a fav to win. Does anyone have one they think is a shoe in to win?
    I don't have one that's a definite lock to win, but I can throw out a few guesses in addition to Rosemary’s Baby:

Psycho
    Lawrence of Arabia
    8 1/2
    Dr. Strangelove
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    The Graduate
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Midnight Cowboy

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I only have 19 . But I am sure people picked some that I forgot about .

Country
    Country Flag

So the 1960s nominations have been completed and as I mentioned in the nominations thread, voting will begin on August 2!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Shame Manos: The Hands of Fate didn't make it but still a pretty darn good list! Thanks Mae!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Thanks Mae!!
    It's my pleasure!

The full schedule has now been added to the first post.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Can't wait to get started!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Shame Manos: The Hands of Fate didn't make it but still a pretty darn good list! Thanks Mae!!
    The only reason I know that movie even exists is because of MST3K.

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is another one from the 60s that I only know because of that show that I didn't even think of until just now.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Can't wait to get started!
    +1

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    The only reason I know that movie even exists is because of MST3K.

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is another one from the 60s that I only know because of that show that I didn't even think of until just now.
    The director of Manos was a fertilizer salesman that bet someone he could make a movie. He used his own dog, his wife did the wardrobe and the painting I think, a friend did the song. The servant guy, Torgo, was tripping on acid the entire shoot and killed himself before the thing even aired at one drive-in and most of the male voices were done by the same guy and most of the female voices by the same woman because the director didn't understand sound mixing or anything like that. I don't know how MST3K managed to find that thing back before the internet but they did.

Given all that, I'd still rather watch it again over Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. (I've seen both on the big screen). Manos isn't the worst film ever but it belongs in the top 10 for sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 58 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast