Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 58 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1435

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I do! Thanks for letting me know, I'll try to watch it before the poll closes.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Yes, that always happens with me. Personally, I consider Barry Lyndon not just the best movie of the 1970s, but the best movie ever made. But I'm sure it will not go far, sadly.
    Barry Lyndon is one of the few remaining Kubrick films I still have yet to see. I'll see if I can find it streaming somewhere and watch it.

Mae have you seen Filmworker, I believe it's on Netflix. It's about Leon Vitali who starred in Barry Lyndon, but then quit acting and became an assistant to Kubrick. It was really interesting.
    +1

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I do! Thanks for letting me know, I'll try to watch it before the poll closes.
    HBO Max has quite a few of our nominations:

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
    Alien
    All the President's Men
    Amarcord
    American Graffiti
    Autumn Sonata
    Barry Lyndon
    Being There
    The Brood
    Chinatown
    Cries and Whispers
    Dog Day Afternoon
    Eraserhead
    The Exorcist
    Fantastic Planet
    House
    Jaws
    King Kong
    Lady Snowblood
    Logan's Run
    Love Story
    Meatballs
    The Omega Man
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Solaris
    Soylent Green
    A Star is Born
    Superman
    THX 1138
    The Towering Inferno
    Watership Down
    Westworld
    Willard
    A Woman Under the Influence

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

HBO Max just released their February highlights and we have some more nominated films:

https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/ca...tent_entity=en

The Amityville Horror
    Murder On The Orient Express
    Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

Country
    Country Flag

Just realized something about all of these 1970s trailers. They never advertise a date the movie's coming out. At best they'll say "Coming Soon". Were trailers back then always like that? I guess adding specific dates was something studios started doing in the '80s? I wonder when exactly that started, because of all the nominated films posted thus far, not one trailer features a date.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen it, but I came across another film I'm surprised didn't get nominated. The Yakuza. Any fans?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just realized something about all of these 1970s trailers. They never advertise a date the movie's coming out. At best they'll say "Coming Soon". Were trailers back then always like that? I guess adding specific dates was something studios started doing in the '80s? I wonder when exactly that started, because of all the nominated films posted thus far, not one trailer features a date.
    I went looking to see if I could find anything and came across this. No answer, but very interesting. http://www.hopesandfears.com/hopes/c...dependence-day

Country
    Country Flag

Round 1 polls are now all closed, with a few tiebreakers still ongoing. Thank you to everyone for the great participating and voting! Round 2 will begin on Monday!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is a lot of fun, Mae and thank you for putting it together for us. Don't know why I wasn't more engaged in the past, but I'm enjoying it now.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    This is a lot of fun, Mae and thank you for putting it together for us. Don't know why I wasn't more engaged in the past, but I'm enjoying it now.
    I'm very glad, Bill! Hope you have fun, it will only get tougher as we go on!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I too feel more enthused with watching movies from the 70's. I think maybe part of the rationality is that for more recent decades, if I didn't already see it, it was because of a conscious decision (or it was too obscure). But with the 70's, these are movies I may have not been allowed or able to watch or even hear about at the time they were new. By the time I was old enough to see the movies were no longer popular or remembered.

At any rate, I have watched 3 movies from the 70's in this tournament so far:

Parallax View,
    Black Sunday
    Outlaw Josie Wales

(probably) more to come.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

What did you think of those, did you vote for them this round?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So far I have re-watched:

The Godfather Pt I & II
    Jaws
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    Two Mules for Sister Sara
    Kelly's Heroes
    Lady Snowblood (Didn't care for it, Mae. Sorry)
    Alien
    Blazing Saddles

It's been a hoot for sure and I think, AMD hit it pretty close that these films were kinda prohibited to me at the time and I guess they are more in my childhood "Wheelhouse" and therefore have a closer connection in my memory. Watching, "The Exorcist" next.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

What did you think of those, did you vote for them this round?
    Parallax view (without giving anything away), had a non-tradition ending that felt unsatisfying to me. But I think that would make it more interesting for some viewers. I did vote for it, but not sure how many more rounds I will vote for it.

Black Sunday - I loved it (even though the Stealers won the SB that was featured in the movie, but I guess in the movie the game was not completed). Will be voting for this one deep into the tournament.

Outlaw Josie Wales - Liked a lot, but hated the way the union army was portrayed, but I suppose such atrocities happened.. I didn't vote for it, because voting was ending by the time I saw it, but will be voting for it for several more rounds.

Thanks for asking Mae.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Outlaw Josie Wales - Liked a lot ...I didn't vote for it, because voting was ending by the time I saw it, but will be voting for it for several more rounds.
    That's wassup

Country
    Country Flag

Here are all of the 1970s nominees after the first round:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

For folks that love their westerns, it's disheartening to see one of the greatest westerns ever come in dead last.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    For folks that love their westerns, it's disheartening to see one of the greatest westerns ever come in dead last.
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller isn't the best Western ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I did not say it was, I said it was ONE OF THE greatest westerns ever.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I read it too fast. I'd still disagree though.

It's just not how I prefer my Westerns, I guess.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I read it too fast. I'd still disagree though.

It's just not how I prefer my Westerns, I guess.
    I have to agree with, SS. IMHO, it's not even in the top ten of western films all time. Glad you find it entertaining though and that's all that really matters in the end. Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

El Dorado
    True Grit
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    Unforgiven
    High Plains Drifter
    Two Mules for Sister Sara
    The Magnificent Seven
    The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
    Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
    Blazing Saddles
    Tombstone
    Dances with wolves
    Cat ballou (can't recall the proper title)
    etc, etc, etc.

And I'm likely missing not just a few classics. FWIW, I'm a fan of Westerns as a rule. Can't beat a good Cowboy film on a bad day!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Darling Clementine
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Red River
    The Searchers
    Unforgiven
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    Winchester '73
    The Magnificent Seven
    The Wild Bunch
    The Ox-bow Incident
    Ride the High Country
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    Blazing Saddles
    3:10 to Yuma (both versions)
    Rio Bravo
    Stagecoach
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Shane
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    A Fistful of Dollars
    For a Few Dollar More
    Tombstone
    The Naked Spur
    Johnny Guitar
    High Plains Drifter
    Giant
    3 Godfathers
    A Big Hand for the Little Lady
    Brokeback Mountain
    Junior Bonner
    God's Own Country
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
    The Ballad of Cable Hogue
    The Sons of Katie Elder
    Hondo
    Hud
    The Big Country

Loads more but I'm tired and have to go through my records but these are some of my favorites.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

For the longesst time I had no interest in watching westerns. I was well into my mid to late 30's before I really gave them a chance. The first I watched was Unforgiven and fell in love with it. Depending on when you ask me, I might list it as my very favorite movie.. The stange thing I have no recollection of when/where/why and with who I watched it for the first time. Since then I have watched several others (man with no name trilogy, Outlaw Josie Wales to name a few). I've got a few more on my radar to watch soon (Pale Rider, two Mules for Sister Sara to name a couple).

On a different subject ....

Been on a murder mystery kick lately, and used the keywords "murder mystery" and "agatha christy" on Amazon Prime to add some movies/series to my list. Today I just watched the '79 version of "The Lady Vanishes". I liked it, but it looks like it wasn't even nominated for the tournament. Was it just overlooked, or just not a popular movie?
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Some great lists below for westerns. How about a few more:
    Bandolero
    100 Rifles
    Hannie Caulder
    Silverado
    Wyatt Earp
    Back to the Future Part III
    Bone Tomahawk
    The Quick and the Dead
    Appaloosa

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ahh yes!!! Silverado!!! Another classic western tale!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 58 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast