Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I have maybe 15 or so movies to nominate. Plus another 20 or so that are pretty popular that I've seen parts of but never had the urge to really sit down and watch all the way through.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's happening!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Ready! The 70's is probably the best decade of film ever. The sheer amount of amazing films released during that timeframe is simply staggering.

Not to mention you had greats like Hitchcock, Lumet, Kubrick, Coppola etc., all operating during that era and its clear it was a pivotal decade for cinema.
    I don't know, there are way too many superhero films and sequels.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    So here we are, good folks and people! We're finally at the final for the 2010s decade. Quite an unexpected, or perhaps expected, match-up. Either way, I always feel it is the journey, not the destination, and once we're done, as usual I'll post our overall ranking of all the entries.

I also want to take this time to thank everyone, once again, for your continued support and voting and healthy discussions! This particular portion of the tournament coincided with my mom's decline and passing, and even though that was difficult to deal with, coming back here always brought a little solace. Thank you! And here's to a happy and safe Thanksgiving and the rest of the merry holidays coming up!

But it's also time to think about the future! The next step of our Great Movie Tournament will be the glorious decade of the 1970s, often called the greatest decade of the movies! With the 1970s we'll start our fifth decade, which means this whole project will be at its halfway point! As usual, I've prepared some handy links to help you prepare your lists, jostle your memory, and just give you some food for thought:
    After reading through some of these "articles," I realize there are quite a few movies I need to watch from the 70s to really participate in this tournament.

I also realized that the websites these are from must not employ editors. I know that no one is perfect but there are way too many simple things wrong in some of these pieces. For example, one of them used the word "witch" in place of "which." Another used "atypical" numerous times in place of the word "typical," like the author didn't know that the two words are opposites. I probably sound like a curmudgeon but it bothers me that people just throw something together and publish it without any thought of proofreading it first.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There are maybe 5 movies I want to nominate from the 70s.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I jotted down 83 off the cuff. There are abut 40 that I'm sure would get nominated by any number of people here. I mean, if The Sting, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Omen, and Young Frankenstein don't get nominated, then we're in bizarro world. The other 40 or so, well, I'm probably on my own. I doubt most are even on the click-bait links from above. Any bets on if anyone would second Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom?

I didn't think so.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    So here we are, good folks and people! We're finally at the final for the 2010s decade. Quite an unexpected, or perhaps expected, match-up. Either way, I always feel it is the journey, not the destination, and once we're done, as usual I'll post our overall ranking of all the entries.

I also want to take this time to thank everyone, once again, for your continued support and voting and healthy discussions! This particular portion of the tournament coincided with my mom's decline and passing, and even though that was difficult to deal with, coming back here always brought a little solace. Thank you! And here's to a happy and safe Thanksgiving and the rest of the merry holidays coming up!

But it's also time to think about the future! The next step of our Great Movie Tournament will be the glorious decade of the 1970s, often called the greatest decade of the movies! With the 1970s we'll start our fifth decade, which means this whole project will be at its halfway point! As usual, I've prepared some handy links to help you prepare your lists, jostle your memory, and just give you some food for thought:
    After reading through some of these "articles," I realize there are quite a few movies I need to watch from the 70s to really participate in this tournament.

I also realized that the websites these are from must not employ editors. I know that no one is perfect but there are way too many simple things wrong in some of these pieces. For example, one of them used the word "witch" in place of "which." Another used "atypical" numerous times in place of the word "typical," like the author didn't know that the two words are opposites. I probably sound like a curmudgeon but it bothers me that people just throw something together and publish it without any thought of proofreading it first.
    Welcome to "journalism" in the age of the internet. Its ironic with all the proofing tools available, the mistakes seem to increase. I think making deadlines is much more important to them now than correctness.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, everyone! The first post has been updated with the schedule for the 1970s tournament! We begin Monday after next!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just a quick reminder, voting begins on Monday! Has anyone watched any nominated movies already?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just a quick reminder, voting begins on Monday! Has anyone watched any nominated movies already?
    Mae I really want to this weekend. COULD you give me a couple that are on Prime or Netflix that you would think I would like? Still Servant is really good at this..... hahah
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Ready! The 70's is probably the best decade of film ever. The sheer amount of amazing films released during that timeframe is simply staggering.

Not to mention you had greats like Hitchcock, Lumet, Kubrick, Coppola etc., all operating during that era and its clear it was a pivotal decade for cinema.
    I don't know, there are way too many superhero films and sequels.
    see post above this my friend
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm not sure which ones you've seen. I'm pretty sure you've seen most of the really popular ones, so I will refrain from saying stuff like Jaws. If you're into comedies, I would recommend anything directed by Mel Brooks.

A few off the top of my head:

Serpico - Only available for rent
    The French Connection - Streaming on Starz
    Dog Day Afternoon - HBO Max
    The Warriors - Only available for rent
    Mean Streets - Hoopla (If you have a library card, you should be on Hoopla and Kanopy)
    The China Syndrome - Only available for rent
    The Getaway - Only available for rent
    Play Misty For Me - Only available for rent
    Death Wish - Amazon Prime
    The Omega Man - HBO Max

Sorry more of those weren't available on the normal streaming services.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Well, I'm not sure which ones you've seen. I'm pretty sure you've seen most of the really popular ones, so I will refrain from saying stuff like Jaws. If you're into comedies, I would recommend anything directed by Mel Brooks.

A few off the top of my head:

Serpico - Only available for rent
    The French Connection - Streaming on Starz
    Dog Day Afternoon - HBO Max
    The Warriors - Only available for rent
    Mean Streets - Hoopla (If you have a library card, you should be on Hoopla and Kanopy)
    The China Syndrome - Only available for rent
    The Getaway - Only available for rent
    Play Misty For Me - Only available for rent
    Death Wish - Amazon Prime
    The Omega Man - HBO Max

Sorry more of those weren't available on the normal streaming services.
    Amazing. Thanks will watch some this weekend!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Here are some nominated films on Netflix:

Taxi Driver
    Mad Max
    A Clockwork Orange
    A Bridge Too Far
    Monty Python's Life of Brian
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
    Enter the Dragon
    Five Deadly Venoms (The Five Venoms)
    Fiddler on the Roof
    The Castle of Cagliostro

And Prime:

Grease
    Phantasm
    The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
    Escape From Alcatraz
    Interiors
    The Mechanic
    Chinatown
    Convoy
    Benji
    Charlotte's Web
    Walking Tall
    Death Wish
    Hair
    The Bad News Bears
    The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
    Harold and Maude
    Black Sunday
    Fritz the Cat
    The Parallax View
    The Crazies
    Deep Red
    Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes
    Don't Torture a Duckling
    Aguirre, The Wrath of God

There might be more but Prime is difficult to browse. So, anyway maybe Still Servant can recommend some from these.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Walking Tall
    Death Wish
    The Mechanic
    Escape Alcatraz
    The Crazies

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I did watch the Parallax view about a week ago. It is available on Prime.

It was definitely an atypical thriller. probably won't vote for it past 1st round or two.

Some other movies I may try to watch, if available somewhere: (listed in order of being seconded)

The French Connection
    All The Presidents Men
    The Outlaw Josey Wales (have it on DVR, has commercials though)
    Marathon Man
    Escape from Alcatraz
    The Andromeda Strain
    The Kentucky Fried Movie
    Black Sunday
    Coma
    Play Misty for me (maybe)
    High Plains Drifter
    High Anxiety (may have already seen, but not sure)
    Three Days of the Condor
    Murder on the Orient Express - (I did watch the recent remake, so knowing the ending may lesson the enjoyment)
    Two Mules for Sister Sara
    The Day of the Jackal (saw the remake with Bruce Willis?)
    The Eiger Sanction
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes (maybe, not sure what its about)

Wow, that is a lot more then I thought, obviously some are more important. I probably will only watch 2-5 of them by the time the tournament is over.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Abominable Dr. Phibes is available on Youtube for free....

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

There is a part 2 that's really good as well. I also recommend Theatre of Blood. I really miss Vincent Price but thankfully he left behind a lot of wild horror movies.

Here are some nominated films on Netflix:

Taxi Driver
    Mad Max
    A Clockwork Orange
    A Bridge Too Far
    Monty Python's Life of Brian
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
    Enter the Dragon
    Five Deadly Venoms (The Five Venoms)
    Fiddler on the Roof
    The Castle of Cagliostro

And Prime:

Grease
    Phantasm
    The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
    Escape From Alcatraz
    Interiors
    The Mechanic
    Chinatown
    Convoy
    Benji
    Charlotte's Web
    Walking Tall
    Death Wish
    Hair
    The Bad News Bears
    The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
    Harold and Maude
    Black Sunday
    Fritz the Cat
    The Parallax View
    The Crazies
    Deep Red
    Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes
    Don't Torture a Duckling
    Aguirre, The Wrath of God

There might be more but Prime is difficult to browse. So, anyway maybe Still Servant can recommend some from these.
    Don't Torture a Duckling and Deep Red are on Shudder as well.

Country
    Country Flag

And the first polls of Round 1 of the 1970s are up and running, people!

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

And the first polls of Round 1 of the 1970s are up and running, people!
    This could be very interesting. Will the "obvious" choices make it to the final rounds or will we have dark horses. I know like in every tournament I will be saddened in many rounds by movies that get knocked out.
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that always happens with me. Personally, I consider Barry Lyndon not just the best movie of the 1970s, but the best movie ever made. But I'm sure it will not go far, sadly.

Country
    Country Flag

I have one small favor to ask of everyone. As these movies get older and older, it's becoming more difficult to find good quality trailers. I think I did a pretty good job this time, but if you happen to find a better trailer than what's featured in the poll, for any movie, please drop it in the thread and I'll update it going forward!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yes, that always happens with me. Personally, I consider Barry Lyndon not just the best movie of the 1970s, but the best movie ever made. But I'm sure it will not go far, sadly.
    Barry Lyndon is one of the few remaining Kubrick films I still have yet to see. I'll see if I can find it streaming somewhere and watch it.

Mae have you seen Filmworker, I believe it's on Netflix. It's about Leon Vitali who starred in Barry Lyndon, but then quit acting and became an assistant to Kubrick. It was really interesting.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm aware of it, but I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for reminding me! And Barry Lyndon is streaming on HBO Max, if you have it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast