Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The 2010's are going to see an unusually high amount of traffic and nominations given that it's still fresh in everyone's mind. Upping the nomination berths a little makes sense to accommodate the flood of names that will be flying around.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    People just need to be more judicious in the way they nominate.
    This was my thought as well.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    You rarely steer me wrong Matt so I'll check out Leave No Trace soon. Glad I finally got Ghost Story under my belt.
    Leave No Trace is my favourite of 2018. Exactly the kind of film I love.
    This is my biggest concern. Films like Leave No Trace will get left out in the cold while the rest of the slots are filled with Marvel movies. The 2010s have tons of great, smaller films that a lot of people just have not seen yet.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

There's 20 Marvel films and like 300 nominations, chillaaaxxxx

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow. I have only seen 27 of the 50 Rolling Stone mentioned.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Feev, you must've missed my post on the previous page, I linked to that list and a bunch of others for everyone to pore over and compile their lists:

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Since we're all starting to compile our lists already, here are some links that could help in that regard. Obviously, the 2010s decade just recently ended and the internet is full of end of decade lists. I'm sure you can find dozens upon dozens more. This is far from definitive but again, food for thought, and highly varied:

And also here I am shamelessly plugging my own Top 30 lists for each year, if anyone's curious (I'll be pretty much going off these for nominations):

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Hidden Gems of the 2010s - 10 films you wish everyone saw

With the 2010s Tournament quickly approaching, I thought it would be a great idea for us to list 10 hidden gems/non-mainstream films of this decade that we love that others might have heard of or gotten a chance to see.

Obviously we've all seen Endgame, Wolf of Wall Street and and Mad Max: Fury Road - this thread is specifically for those films that might have flown under everyone's radar.

I set the meter at 10 films as more of a guideline, would like the films named to be ones we really liked and want to shine the spotlight on, not just "oh hey yeah I saw this one film this one time that was okay". (Of course, this thread will probably transform into something else by page 2 lol)

Once we collect enough, I'll place them on a spreadsheet so we can see which film gets named multiple times, just for shiggles.

I'll start us off

1. Holy Motors (2012)
    2. Under The Skin (2013)
    3. Amour (2012)
    4. Nightcrawler (2014)
    5. The Master (2012)
    6. The Wailing (2016)
    7. The Babadook (2014)
    8. Melancholia (2011)
    9. The Witch (2016)
    10. Spotlight (2015)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My bad, when I see that many links in one post I tend to ignore it

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fantastic idea! I literally second each and every one of those! For the record, Melancholia was my #4 film of the decade.

Mine would be a tad more obscure but I hope people try and find them because they're fantastic.
    1. Cold Fish (2010)
    2. Certified Copy (2010)
    3. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011)
    4. Compliance (2012)
    5. Coherence (2013)
    6. Toni Erdmann (2016)
    7. A Fantastic Woman (2017)
    8. Shoplifters (2018)
    9. System Crasher (2019)
    10. The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open (2019)

Looks like most of these can be found on various streaming services, but sadly Cold Fish is nowhere to be found, at least "free" as part of any subscription. Tremendous film and one of the best of that year.

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry but there are some really good lists there and lots and lots to choose from! Plus, of course, whatever else is bouncing around people's minds! I'm sure everyone's definition of best or great varies substantially.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've wanted to check out Compliance because of the absurd true story its based on, but I have a difficult time getting through films depicting sexual assault.

Country
    Country Flag

It's not an easy watch, for sure. But an important film to see, I believe. I'm actually surprised to see it Certified Fresh at 89% on Rotten Tomatoes, I didn't think it was all that well-received. I was in a state of shock after watching it and it stayed with me for a long time. It's not a pleasant film I enjoyed by any means but I appreciate it when art does that.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Stealing my ideas, I see!

Well, here are the links to my posts about my favourite hidden gems of the last decade, though it's a top 50. They're ordered not in terms of quality or my most favourite, but they are meant to get more obscure as it goes along. The Top 10 are in the last 2 posts.

Part One: https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.c...dden-gems-pt-1
    Part Two: https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.c...dden-gems-pt-2
    Part Three: https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.c...dden-gems-pt-3
    Part Four: https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.c...dden-gems-pt-4
    Part Five: https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.c...dden-gems-pt-5
    Part Six: https://matthewblivingston.wixsite.c...dden-gems-pt-6
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I am sorry, but when do we start the nomination process again?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    I am sorry, but when do we start the nomination process again?
    See my earlier post here:

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    We're taking June off. I was thinking the nominations thread for the 2010s will go up on Monday, July 6. In the past we have been able to go through the nomination process in about two weeks. To keep to the same sort of schedule, I was hoping we could begin the tournament on Monday, July 27. This would give us the same flow as the 2000s tournament last year, which started on July 29 and the Final poll was November 25. I would be reluctant to push it much further, since we're getting into the holiday season then.

I anticipate the nominations will be coming in fast, since this past decade is still very fresh in our minds. But I don't think increasing the limits, however, is necessary this time, since we have more slots available for movies, and everyone should be able to get in many of their picks in. So we should be able to go back to a waiting period of three for nominations and one for seconds, but I'm happy to discuss that further.

If people would like more time to catch up with some of the nominees, we can certainly start the nominations sooner by a week or two if need be, but folks also don't need to wait until the final list is settled and can seek out movies as they're seconded, which gives us three weeks. I know, not a lot, but this also can't be a long process, if we need to finish up before Christmas.
    I hope this works for everyone but I'm happy to hear your thoughts, friends!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Thanks Mae.
    Have my first 20 films lined up.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll move up the start of nominations to Monday, June 29. Hope that's okay. That gives us four weeks for nominating and watching any nominated films we might want to catch up on (five or six if you include the weeks of the polls), and Round 1 will begin on Monday, July 27.

Country
    Country Flag

Some really good ones on those lists, and some are on mine, too. Can I add like five more?
    1. Four Lions (2010)
    2. The Woman (2011)
    3. What Maisie Knew (2012)
    4. Thou Wast Mild and Lovely (2014)
    5. The Summer of Sangaile (2015)

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Wow. I have only seen 27 of the 50 Rolling Stone mentioned.
    Doing better than me. I only counted 6...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Solid lists, I've added a couple to my queue. Gonna spend the next few days watching these in preparation for the tourney!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I don't really get much into the obscure movies that very few people have ever seen or heard of... but there are a few on my list that I don't think were huge blockbusters that I really enjoyed.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)
    The Intern (2015)
    Collateral Beauty (2016)
    Edge of Seventeen (2016)
    Before I Fall (2017)
    Happy Death Day (2017)
    Instant Family (2018 )
    Yesterday (2019)
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Confession: I've never seen Perks of Being A Wallflower. I know, I know. I just never made time for it for some reason.

I know it's on Netflix rn - I'll be sure to put it towards the top of the list as I'm sure it's going to be a popular film in the tournament.

Country
    Country Flag

The two Happy Death Day movies are so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Confession: I've never seen Perks of Being A Wallflower. I know, I know. I just never made time for it for some reason.

I know it's on Netflix rn - I'll be sure to put it towards the top of the list as I'm sure it's going to be a popular film in the tournament.
    It's become one of my favorite movies and I've seen it dozens of times.

I'm a sucker for nostalgia type movies and this one hits me perfectly as it seems to be set somewhere in the late 80's/early 90's which is right when I was in HS. So I can relate to the characters pretty well.

Also Emma Watson...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast