Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Goodfellas is Scorsese's best film, even if it isn't my favourite.
    Fixed it for you.

It didn't need fixing. Raging Bull is utterly fantastic.
    Shh shh shh, here, drink your whiskey. You know how upset you get when you don't have your whiskey.

I'd need a lot of whiskey to agree Goodfellas is better than Raging Bull

Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Goodfellas is Scorsese's best film, even if it isn't my favourite.
    Fixed it for you.

It didn't need fixing. Raging Bull is utterly fantastic.
    Shh shh shh, here, drink your whiskey. You know how upset you get when you don't have your whiskey.

I'd need a lot of whiskey to agree Goodfellas is better than Raging Bull

Goodfellas is 100% better than Raging Bull!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Notwithstanding GoodFellas, most of Scorsese's films are better than Raging Bull. It's certainly not his best.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Check some fun on the Movie Discussion thread!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Notwithstanding GoodFellas, most of Scorsese's films are better than Raging Bull. It's certainly not his best.
    This is untrue according to virtually all consensus. Many consider his best film. In most lists it comes in first or second. Occasionally it is in third. Far and away it's a two horse race between Goodfellas and Raging Bull. I don't even like boxing or movies about boxing but it's his best work. Goodfellas is definitely a lot more accessible so I can see why it's more popular and beloved. Goodfellas entertains me...Raging Bull floors me. To say most of his films are better than Raging Bull is just silly and you'll find very few people who agree.

Country
    Country Flag

I agree!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This is untrue according to virtually all consensus. Many consider his best film. In most lists it comes in first or second. Occasionally it is in third. Far and away it's a two horse race between Goodfellas and Raging Bull. I don't even like boxing or movies about boxing but it's his best work. Goodfellas is definitely a lot more accessible so I can see why it's more popular and beloved. Goodfellas entertains me...Raging Bull floors me. To say most of his films are better than Raging Bull is just silly and you'll find very few people who agree.
    I've never seen a single list where Raging Bull was placed above Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. Not one. Unless you're going to Google Pg. 3?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Page 3 where the wild things are.

Why squabble, we all know that the other guy is wrong, ha!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen a single list where Raging Bull was placed above Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. Not one. Unless you're going to Google Pg. 3?
    Here's the media's view...

Rolling Stone:
    Raging Bull - ranked 3rd
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st
    https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-martin-scorsese-movies-54890/goodfellas-165646/

IMDB:
    Raging Bull - ranked 3rd
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st
    https://www.imdb.com/list/ls042497954/

Studio Binder:
    Raging Bull - ranked 13th
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st
    https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/martin-scorsese-movies-films-list/

Film School Rejects:
    Raging Bull - ranked 17th
    GoodFellas - ranked 2nd
    After Hours - ranked 1st
    https://filmschoolrejects.com/scorsese-movies-ranked/

Thrill List:
    Raging Bull - ranked 5th
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st
    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/best-martin-scorsese-movies-films-ranking

Metacritic:
    Raging Bull - ranked 8th
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    Mean Streets - ranked 1st
    https://www.metacritic.com/pictures/martin-scorsese-movies-ranked-worst-to-best/26

Country
    Country Flag

Rolling Stone:
    Raging Bull - ranked 3rd
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st
    https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-martin-scorsese-movies-54890/goodfellas-165646/

IMDB:
    Raging Bull - ranked 3rd
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st

Studio Binder:
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st

Film School Rejects:
    GoodFellas - ranked 2nd
    After Hours - ranked 1st

Thrill List:
    Raging Bull - ranked 5th
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st
    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/best-martin-scorsese-movies-films-ranking

Metacritic:
    Raging Bull - ranked 8th
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    https://www.metacritic.com/pictures/martin-scorsese-movies-ranked-worst-to-best/26
    One could say... “case closed”?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Rolling Stone:
    Raging Bull - ranked 3rd
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st

IMDB:
    Raging Bull - ranked 3rd
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st

Studio Binder:
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st

Film School Rejects:
    GoodFellas - ranked 2nd
    After Hours - ranked 1st

Thrill List:
    Raging Bull - ranked 5th
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st

Metacritic:
    Raging Bull - ranked 8th
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    Wow, just looked at some of those lists and realized I have only seen 2 Scorsese movies, Cape Fear and Shine a Light.

IMDB must have really liked Shutter Island because it came in both 13th and 14th place.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post

Wow, just looked at some of those lists and realized I have only seen 2 Scorsese movies, Cape Fear and Shine a Light.

IMDB must have really liked Shutter Island because it came in both 13th and 14th place.
    THOSE are the only two Scorsese movies you have seen?!?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    spoiler

One could say... “case closed”?
    I certainly hope not. I hope as long as there is film and there are folks to debate it that the case will never be "closed"

The 100 Greatest Films of All Time
    Raging Bull made this list but Goodfellas did not. There will always be debate, just hope it's civilized and not petty is all....

And no, I'm not calling anyone here petty.
    I just remembered that someone referred to one of my favorite comedies as "shite" during the comedy tournament. I listed all the awards and accolades and best movie lists it made and was told not to hit people over the head with awards and lists. Funny how we've come back to that....
    Yet on that same list, the BFI has Taxi Driver ranked at #31 and Raging Bull at #53. So you by your own argument you agree that Raging Bull is not Scorsese's best film then?

I also don't see any comedies on the BFI list either, so I guess you are agreeing that your favorite comedy is not worthy of inclusion?

I found the relevant threads from the Best Comedy Tournament, but I cannot see where someone told you "not to hit people over the head with awards and lists."

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19002-Best-Comedy-Tournament-Round-1-Group-I

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19064-Best-Comedy-Tournament-Round-2-Group-K

Although you haven't directly called anyone petty, your posts are certainly passive aggressive in tone.

Country
    Country Flag

I certainly hope not. I hope as long as there is film and there are folks to debate it that the case will never be "closed"

The 100 Greatest Films of All Time
    Raging Bull made this list but Goodfellas did not. There will always be debate, just hope it's civilized and not petty is all....

And no, I'm not calling anyone here petty.
    I just remembered that someone referred to one of my favorite comedies as "shite" during the comedy tournament. I listed all the awards and accolades and best movie lists it made and was told not to hit people over the head with awards and lists. Funny how we've come back to that....
    Yet on that same list, the BFI has Taxi Driver ranked at #31 and Raging Bull at #53. So you by your own argument you agree that Raging Bull is not Scorsese's best film then?

I also don't see any comedies on the BFI list either, so I guess you are agreeing that your favorite comedy is not worthy of inclusion?

I found the relevant threads from the Best Comedy Tournament, but I cannot see where someone told you "not to hit people over the head with awards and lists."

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19002-Best-Comedy-Tournament-Round-1-Group-I

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19064-Best-Comedy-Tournament-Round-2-Group-K

Although you haven't directly called anyone petty, your posts are certainly passive aggressive in tone.
    Posted by pathoftheturtle....

Probably oversimplifies the subject of which films are worst, but your examples certainly are pretty bad. Anyhow, you're still entitled as anyone to express your personal opinion. I don't really believe in beating people over the head with awards. For my part I just thought that trotting out a couple more respected comedy directors with comments was kind of a cute idea here for once.
    I guess you were you were only looking for your posts, Tim. I never said your name at all but you raced around to find what I was talking about.

I posted that greatest film list just to show not everyone agrees, that is all, but you sometimes must take things to the extreme. I don't know why....
    A few issues:

Firstly, if you read the thread again, pathoftheturtle is replying to my post. No one told you to stop hitting people over the head with awards and lists.

Secondly, pathoftheturtle has not participated in these movie tournaments since 2015, so I'm struggling to see the relevance of your comments about posting lists unless you mistakenly thought it had been me telling you to not to use them. (After all, it wasn't pathoftheturtle that referred to Annie Hall as "shite" now was it, eh?).

This would, of course, explain your snarky "Funny how we've come back to that" comment (with emoji).

You didn't need to say my name, you and I both know the inference was there. Pretending not to know and acting all innocent doesn't alter that fact.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright folks. In these times people are more on edge than usual. State your beliefs and try not to be overly sensitive.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first polls of Round 5 just went up and we are in the endgame now, as they say. No more multiple choice, it's in or out. And here are the results of Round 4:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    The first polls of Round 5 just went up and we are in the endgame now, as they say. No more multiple choice, it's in or out. And here are the results of Round 4:

Moving on:

Eliminated:
    Just a question, and I am sorry if you have answered this many times before, as you probably have. Why does the #1 film draw #17, instead of #32? And so on... I was just wondering because it seems that the middle of the pack gets the easier time moving on, with #16 going up against #32, presumably? This is in no way a critique. It's a wonderment. Again, thanks for organizing this - it really wiles away the time a bit.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sure, no worries, it is something that I've answered before, in this very thread, but I don't mind going over it. It's just a simple system I'm using throughout the tournament. Just in general #1 against #32 or #64 doesn't seem very fair. This is how, from my understanding, World Cup brackets work. It's not the best against the worst, because what's the point?

The system I'm using is based on seeding across brackets or groups. In this round we have 16 groups, so I seeded the top 16 as the first spot in each of the groups, and then the bottom 16 as the second spot. It's easy and fair.

Here was my post from a few months back describing this process with 192 entries (after the first round which is random):

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Not sure if I follow, and maybe I'm just not explaining it right. It's similar to World Cup seeding, from what I understand (I'm not big on soccer), but here is a visual:

So Round 1 is purely random. Then for Round 2 we are left with 192 films and they're all ranked by the vote percentage and then seeded into 32 groups of six from 1 to 192 thus. Fair and simple.
    I hope that makes sense! And you're welcome, it helps me in these dark times as well.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The first few Google results for me either had it at 1 or 2. One in 3rd.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Rolling Stone:
    Raging Bull - ranked 3rd
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st

IMDB:
    Raging Bull - ranked 3rd
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st

Studio Binder:
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st

Film School Rejects:
    GoodFellas - ranked 2nd
    After Hours - ranked 1st

Thrill List:
    Raging Bull - ranked 5th
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd
    GoodFellas - ranked 1st

Metacritic:
    Raging Bull - ranked 8th
    Taxi Driver - ranked 2nd

Of course there are other lists you didn't take from that rank Raging Bull much higher, but even going from yours stats there, it's still considered to be one of his best films. One of those lists isn't even "the media" it's just some dude on IMDB who made a list. Metacritic score for Raging Bull has it at 89 and in that rating they call it "a masterpiece" right off. Rolling Stone in their write up calls Raging Bull "one of the greatest films of all time"

I'm not sure why you took the time to compile this list of links here. All it proves is that some people like a couple Scorsese films more, but that it's still a masterpiece. It in no way refutes your odious claim that most of Scorsese's films are better than Raging Bull. You may think that, but the consensus definitely does not agree with your stance.

As for more lists....

Gold Derby has Raging Bull at #2
    https://www.goldderby.com/feature/ma...ed-1203284904/

Rotten Tomatoes has it at #5 based on their tomatometer (technically #8 but the top 3 are docs)
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...y-tomatometer/

Esquire has Raging Bull at #2
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...orsese-movies/

Vulture has Raging Bull at #3
    https://www.vulture.com/article/best...es-ranked.html

Screen Crush has Raging Bull at #6
    https://screencrush.com/every-martin...worst-to-best/

Cinema Blend has Raging Bull at #2
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/248...-movies-ranked

Uproxx has Raging Bull at #3
    https://uproxx.com/movies/best-scorsese-movies-ranked/

As I said, consensus says you're wrong about most Scorsese films being better than Raging Bull. It on average is considered a top three film.

Country
    Country Flag

And here we are, folks! The actual playoffs. Only 16 films remain. The first polls go up on Monday, as always!

Moving on:
    1. Aliens 426.97%
    2. Die Hard 410.63%
    3. Back to the Future 410.02%
    4. The Empire Strikes Back 409.36%
    5. The Terminator 402.83%
    6. Stand by Me 392.95%
    7. Raiders of the Lost Ark 389.35%
    8. Beetlejuice 376.31%
    9. Ghostbusters 375.81%
    10. Full Metal Jacket 361.54%
    11. The Thing 346.32%
    12. Poltergeist 343.57%
    13. Blade Runner 328.50%
    14. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 300.10%
    15. The Princess Bride 288.97%
    16. A Christmas Story 278.65%

Eliminated:
    1. The Shining 381.81%
    2. The Breakfast Club 340.45%
    3. The Fly 336.47%
    4. Gremlins 330.59%
    5. Return of the Jedi 306.46%
    6. Airplane! 303.51%
    7. The Goonies 302.46%
    8. A Nightmare on Elm Street 301.44%
    9. Predator 291.73%
    10. Lethal Weapon 291.52%
    11. Back to the Future Part II 290.56%
    12. Robocop 285.49%
    13. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 284.03%
    14. Who Framed Roger Rabbit 275.64%
    15. The Lost Boys 265.88%
    16. Scarface 259.14%

Country
    Country Flag

Poll 5 in the next round...

The Terminator vs Blade Runner

Wow! What a match up!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Kind of sorry to see some of these go. But the finals should be great.

Country
    Country Flag

Poll 5 in the next round...

The Terminator vs Blade Runner

Wow! What a match up!
    We agree on most things.... but I’m afraid this time we may not my good man. Lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Going forward, I propose the following guidelines:
    • Staff may not vote for any member while the poll is open.The member can be tutored how to vote for themselves.
    • A stated vote only counts if the member has actually voted in the poll.
    • Staff can change a member's vote upon request as long as the poll is still open.
    • Changing or adding a vote after the poll has closed is at the discretion of mae or myself, but should only be done under the most extenuating of circumstances.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast