Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    In The Mouth of Madness is pure John Carpenterian goodness. Fuck I love that movie.
    Yeah, I was happy with that find. I found Cronenberg's Rabid a while back too. I've been on a roll lately. Now if I can only find time to watch all this shit.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Apologies for the delay but here are the developments after the second round:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

I cannot comprehend that through two rounds, so out of maximum 200%, Caché managed only 26.79%. Mind-blowing. Everyone must make it their next watch, if you haven't seen it!
    Thanks Mae!

Some really great films got eliminated this past round.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I continue to be amazed and saddened at how much everyone here dislikes comedies...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I continue to be amazed and saddened at how much everyone here dislikes comedies...
    For me, comedy is the very hardest type of film to make. So making an exceptional one is extremely difficult. I think it's much easier to use comedy as a flavor in other genres of film.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I'm surprised how poorly comedies do in these tournaments. I don't think people dislike them, it's just that we don't consider them great when comparing them to more serious fare.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Yeah, I'm surprised how poorly comedies do in these tournaments. I don't think people dislike them, it's just that we don't consider them great when comparing them to more serious fare.
    I also think comedy is such a individual specific thing. Everyone has such different senses of humor that it can often be hard to agree upon what is and isn't a good comedy movie.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Which is why we held the comedy tournament a few years back: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...lm-of-All-Time

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    In The Mouth of Madness is pure John Carpenterian goodness. Fuck I love that movie.
    One of my favorite horror movies.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And we are done with the third round, good people! Round 4 starts on Monday!

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Country
    Country Flag

So after thinking back about the next portion of the tournament (since we are at the halfway point of this second part), I feel like doing the 1980s instead of the 2010s in early 2020 is a good idea. I know this whole tournament came out of the idea of doing a tournament of the best of the current decade and evolved into this whole thing, but I do think giving some space after the end of this decade to catch up with as many films that will come out this year (and some 2019 releases to come out wide or streaming in the first half of 2020, honestly) will give us a 2010s tournament that will be a richer experience. More people will have seen more of the films, hopefully. And doing the 1980s is perfect as that's probably a decade that most of us are quite familiar and comfortable with.

As for the nomination process, I'm still not sure whether to keep it as is or change the waiting period from 3 nominations to 5 (and maybe seconding from 1 to 3). As I said earlier, maybe the 2000s were so fresh in everyone's minds (and the 2010s will be even more so), but the 1990s nomination process lasted 14 days, which I feel is a good pace. I imagine the 1980s should last about the same, and should extend longer if we implement the longer waiting periods.

I do think that the idea of increasing the number of total nominations for the 2010s is probably a good idea, given the explosion of quality film-making over the last ten years, something that feels fairly unique to this decade. Not even the 2000s had this many outstanding or simply interesting films released, while each year this decade, especially over the last five years or so, it seems like there are so much more being released out there. I would aim to keep the structure of the tournament itself the same, so it will take the same amount of time, with just a few more polls each time (I think one scenario I worked out was to increase the number of movies from 256 to 320 and have 40 initial groups instead of 32).

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

LOT'S of great Films in the 80's. I guess I beter start getting my list together. I will worry about the rules when we get there and I have no doubt that I will still mess up.
    But as for this round. A lot of good stuff made it but sad to see some stuff go. Oh well. This next round will be tough. You are doing a great job with this. I know it's
    a lot of work. I am very impressed that you can keep it all straight. Can you say when the next round of voting will begin? I just hope I understand the rules.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, the next round, Round 4, will begin on Monday. The schedule is in the first post of this very thread! But you don't have to worry about the next tournament, it won't start until early 2020 anyway.

Country
    Country Flag

For the record, here is the current tournament structure with 256 titles:
    • Round 1: 32 groups of 8 titles - top 6 move on (192)
    • Round 2: 32 groups of 6 titles - top 4 move on (128)
    • Round 3: 32 groups of 4 titles - top 2 move on (64)
    • Round 4: 16 groups of 4 titles - top 2 move on (32)
    • Round 5: 16 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on (16)
    • Octofinals: 8 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on (8)
    • Quarterfinals: 4 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on (4)
    • Semifinals: 2 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on (2)
    • Final: 1 group of 2 titles - top 1 is the winner (1)

With 320 titles it would work like this:
    • Round 1: 32 groups of 10 titles - top 8 move on (256)
    • Round 2: 32 groups of 8 titles - top 6 move on (192)
    • Round 3: 32 groups of 6 titles - top 4 move on (128)
    • Round 4: 32 groups of 4 titles - top 2 move on (64)
    • Round 5: 16 groups of 4 titles - top 2 moves on (32)
    • Round 6: 16 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on (16)

I tried making the math work with 40 groups as opposed to 32 and it just wouldn't. We would need to add another round, so this extends the tournament. But no real way around that. I welcome suggestions, though

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

OK.
    So the next round of voting is on Monday. It's only going to get tougher from here on out. 320 titles. Wow. That would be some competition.
    Looking forward to Mon though.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

For the record, here is the current tournament structure with 256 titles:
    • Round 1: 32 groups of 8 titles - top 6 move on (192)
    • Round 2: 32 groups of 6 titles - top 4 move on (128)
    • Round 3: 32 groups of 4 titles - top 2 move on (64)
    • Round 4: 16 groups of 4 titles - top 2 move on (32)
    • Round 5: 16 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on (16)

With 320 titles it would work like this:
    • Round 1: 32 groups of 10 titles - top 8 move on (256)
    • Round 2: 32 groups of 8 titles - top 6 move on (192)
    • Round 3: 32 groups of 6 titles - top 4 move on (128)
    • Round 4: 32 groups of 4 titles - top 2 move on (64)
    • Round 5: 16 groups of 4 titles - top 2 moves on (32)
    • Round 6: 16 groups of 2 titles - top 1 moves on (16)

I tried making the math work with 40 groups as opposed to 32 and it just wouldn't. We would need to add another round, so this extends the tournament. But no real way around that. I welcome suggestions, though
    Why not make round 1 have only 6 of 10 move on. It would combine round 1 and 2 into 1 round. I don't see any benefit to weeding out the weak movies slowly.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks! I would love to hear other thoughts on that, but to me it then kinda defeats the purpose of nominating these extra films.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks! I would love to hear other thoughts on that, but to me it then kinda defeats the purpose of nominating these extra films.
    Keep it the way it is. I have nothing better to do.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm all for doing the 80s next because I know there will be movies released at the end of the year that I won't see right away. I'd also be for increasing the wait period as well between nominations. I think the 80s is a popular decade. And if it starts off with a really slow start, which I doubt it will, then we could go always go back to the way these were done to speed it up.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, 80's should be next. There are probably several movies from this year I would watch if I can find it free on a streaming app, but that might night happen for several months or a year even.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, Round 4 is effectively over, folks, and it looks like even with the late tiebreakers Round 5 won't need to be delayed. The uncertainty in placements comes in around Group 10, so we are a go to begin Round 5 as scheduled, this coming Monday.

Thank you, everyone, and as you may recall from the 1990s tournament, Round 5 is when things get really serious, it's all one on one now, no multiple choice. In or out.

And yes, the third tournament will be the 1980s, we'll discuss the finer details on adjusting the nomination process during our "off-season" (between Thanksgiving and New Year's), but y'all can start making your totally tubular 1980s lists!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I really need to start making an actual 80s list instead of the one in my head. It's just been crazy lately.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, Round 4 is effectively over, folks, and it looks like even with the late tiebreakers Round 5 won't need to be delayed. The uncertainty in placements comes in around Group 10, so we are a go to begin Round 5 as scheduled, this coming Monday.

Thank you, everyone, and as you may recall from the 1990s tournament, Round 5 is when things get really serious, it's all one on one now, no multiple choice. In or out.

And yes, the third tournament will be the 1980s, we'll discuss the finer details on adjusting the nomination process during our "off-season" (between Thanksgiving and New Year's), but y'all can start making your totally tubular 1980s lists!
    I know we are a few months away from the 80s tournament, but I'm putting a disclaimer out there right now. Be ready for me to nominate a lot of mainstream shit.

I started putting together my 80s list and as I expected, there's a lot of mainstream fluff on there. The good news is that I'm pretty sure a lot of other people will have similar lists. That's kind of what the 80s were in a way. I know there were a lot of thought-provoking films made in the 80s, but they seemed to be few and far between, especially compared to the decades that followed. This is the decade I grew up in, so it's just natural.

Country
    Country Flag

Standings for Round 4:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

I know we are a few months away from the 80s tournament, but I'm putting a disclaimer out there right now. Be ready for me to nominate a lot of mainstream shit.

I started putting together my 80s list and as I expected, there's a lot of mainstream fluff on there. The good news is that I'm pretty sure a lot of other people will have similar lists. That's kind of what the 80s were in a way. I know there were a lot of thought-provoking films made in the 80s, but they seemed to be few and far between, especially compared to the decades that followed. This is the decade I grew up in, so it's just natural.
    I started to put my list together and was thinking the same thing

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I think Honey I Shrunk the Kids is one of the best films of the 80s and I won't apologize for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast