Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I like the idea of doing the 1980s next myself but that's just me. I have a much more precise record of the films I've seen from that decade than the 2010s.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Add a vote from me for the 80s. I love films from that era.

Also if we go with the 2010s I would suggest increasing the waiting period between making nominations and also add in thirding a nomination. There were some surprising nominations this past time, and didn't we even see a film with zero votes? Which is surprising that it had even made it to the final list if no one is going to vote for it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd rather do the 2010's next.

Either putting a limitation on the amount of films a User can nominate, or increasing the buffer of nominations in between users to 5 or w/e should be fine.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Either putting a limitation on the amount of films a User can nominate, or increasing the buffer of nominations in between users to 5 or w/e should be fine.
    Why could there not just be more movies nominated?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I love Giamatti. I met him once and had the pleasure of miking him up.
    Well, that's the first time I've heard it called that.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Why could there not just be more movies nominated?
    It doesn't solve the problem of films being nominated too fast. If the same 3-4 people are online at any given moment they're going to eat through the extra slots at a prodigious rate anyway. Films in 2010 are still recent in people's minds so we're all going to be trigger happy with nominations.

A longer cool down period also forces you to really think about the film you want to nominate since there's less berths for any particular user.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

TBH, I am happy with either and I don't mind a limit, if one is needed. Some of the films that were nominated this last time were on my list anyway. But
    whatever is decided I am looking forward to the next tournament. But we still need to finish this one first.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm cool with switching the 2010s and the 1980s on the schedule. Originally, the idea was to do the 2010s as soon as the decade was over in February 2020 and do the 1980s the same time period as we're doing the 2000s now, starting in August 2020. I know that I usually take well into the next year to catch up on the movies from the previous year that I'm looking forward to, especially if they're international or indie, and you have to wait for streaming services.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm in favor of thirding, like Heather suggested.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I'm cool with switching the 2010s and the 1980s on the schedule. Originally, the idea was to do the 2010s as soon as the decade was over in February 2020 and do the 1980s the same time period as we're doing the 2000s now, starting in August 2020. I know that I usually take well into the next year to catch up on the movies from the previous year that I'm looking forward to, especially if they're international or indie, and you have to wait for streaming services.
    I definitely need some catch up time.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I don't know about that. Currently the rules are to wait for three nominations before nominating again, and to wait for one seconding to second again. I was thinking of increasing that to five nominations and two or three seconds? That should solve the issue with speed of nominations. I don't even know if it's needed for any tournament other than the 2010s, since these movies are so recent and I'm sure everyone could rattle off dozens they could nominate right now without looking things up.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is pretty timely for us.

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I don't know about that. Currently the rules are to wait for three nominations before nominating again, and to wait for one seconding to second again. I was thinking of increasing that to five nominations and two or three seconds? That should solve the issue with speed of nominations. I don't even know if it's needed for any tournament other than the 2010s, since these movies are so recent and I'm sure everyone could rattle off dozens they could nominate right now without looking things up.
    I think it would be worth capping the nominations someone can make then. And if it drags on, which I doubt it will, you can always open it up again and allow members to make more nominations if need be.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If we capped nominations for each member, at least it would force everyone to really think of their best-of-the-best, not just, "Oh yeah, I enjoyed that movie. I guess I'll nominated it."
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have not been a part of the nominating process. I was unaware of the 90s tournament until it was over, and just became aware of the 2000s tournament after noms were completed. So I have no ax to grind.

IMO, nominations should be capped. OR, make the waiting period longer in between nominations. We might get a better mix that way without 3-4 people Bogarting the entire process. (This probably won't affect me for the 2010 cycle as I've seen very few films from this recent decade, comparatively speaking. I certainly won't be maxxing out regardless of where the bar is set.)

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks like we're reaching a consensus. Nomination cap, and more voters in between nominations.

Anyone disagree?

Country
    Country Flag

Heather is my spirit animal and I love her but I don't feel like we need a cap if we increase the waiting period for nominations to five. That means waiting for five different people to make a nomination before you can nominate again. That should be plenty. And three for seconding. But in any case everyone should make every nomination count anyway, since I personally view those "not seconded" entries as honorable mentions.

Spirit animal

The reason I suggested the nomination cap is to hopefully help draw out the nomination phase so it lasts a few weeks. I missed the first few days of this past one, and when I signed on I think it was already at the halfway point. Then I had to play catch up to try to get a some of films I liked nominated. Also others missed it completely. Maybe if we increase the waiting period to 5 it won't be needed but would it hurt to add it just in case?

Country
    Country Flag

Well, this last nomination process was an anomaly, I don't think we ever finished it as fast in all the tournaments we've had. Probably because these movies were so familiar. But if you have to wait for five people instead of just three to make a nomination before nominating again, I think that solves it. Maybe even six? The 1990s nominations took exactly 14 days using a waiting period of three, so I don't think these changes would be needed for the 1980s. But definitely for the 2010s.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The more buffer for the 2010's, the better. It's going to be a whirlwind.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I was just going through and starting to make a list for the 80's movies and I'm shocked at how many different franchises got started in the 80s. You could almost make an entire tournament of it's own if you only included the sequels spawned from these 80’s movies:

Back to the Future (3 movies)
    The Naked Gun (3 movies)
    The Karate Kid (5 movies)
    National Lampoon Vacation movies (6 movies)
    The Police Academy (7 movies)
    The Terminator (6 movies)
    Friday the 13th (12 movies)
    Beverly Hills Cop (3 movies with rumor of a 4th coming soon)
    Indiana Jones (4 movies with another on the way)
    Honey I Shrunk the Kids (3 movies)
    Nightmare on Elm St. (8 movies + plus 1 shared with Friday the 13 franchise)
    Child's Play (8 movies)
    Die Hard (5 movies)
    Evil Dead (4 movies)
    Look Who’s Talking (3 movies)

That’s not even mentioning some of the others that started in the late 70’s but took off into the 80’s and beyond like Rocky, Halloween or the entire Star Wars franchise.

Honestly, it would be interesting to do a best movie franchise tournament.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

The more buffer for the 2010's, the better. It's going to be a whirlwind.
    I think that's what we'll do, doing a best of the decade tournament while some of those movies at the end of 2019 won't have a wide release till early 2020 isn't the best idea. The 1980s will tide us over until the middle of the year when pretty much everyone should be caught up with 2019 releases.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

So, I admit that I may have missed it, but what decade did we decide on?

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't change anything. Things work just fine.

Country
    Country Flag

And here are our 2000s standings after the first round:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast