Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1435

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

My participation will be very, very limited.

The 70's was pretty rough for me. I just looked through the links above and only found 7 movies that I actually remember watching all the way through. 6 of them are Disney movies. The other one is To Kill a Mockingbird which I watched once in HS.

I recognized a lot of the more famous titles. I've just never seen them.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I recognized a lot of the more famous titles. I've just never seen them.
    There are a lot of classics on HBO Max. I highly recommend people check them out, especially, like you say, famous titles you've always heard about but just never seen.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I looked through the first two links. There are a few that I saw or know about so I can participate. To a degree.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My participation too will be pretty limited. The 60's films I've seen are the Classics that I have actively sought out; your Space Odysseys, your Good, Bad and Uglies, the Hitchcock's etc. This becomes truer the further back into the decades we go.

My personal opinion is that you can already begin trimming down the nominations list from the 60's and onward. Maybe a %40 reduction, to throw a number out there.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why not group them all together? Dawn of file to
    1969? Then do normal
    Amount of nominations?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I can share my Top 30 of the 1960s for each year. I have seen a lot of old movies, I am a silly nerd, yes. I spent all of my 20s and 30s collecting and watching Criterion DVDs and other similar releases. Of course, I would not expect us to nominate 300 '60s movies or anywhere close to that number. So I agree, we should probably reduce the number of nominations, but not drastically so. We did 256 for the 1970s and as always people commented after the fact that we had forgotten some. Maybe an even 200 would work for the 1960s?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Why not group them all together?
    Because I feel like every decade is so different. Movies from the '60s and '50 are very different, not to mention from the '20s or '30s. Plus, the idea is to do this retrospective of a century of movies (we will end up with ten ranked lists of ten decades that we as a group feel are the best movies of that time), and then have each decade's representative in a round-robin.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed that decades should be kept separate. 200 seems doable, but maybe trim a little further as we move backwards...

My strategy for the remaining decades will be to Google "best films of xyz decade" and I'll actively research and try to watch maybe the top consensus 10-20 or so films from each. I just simply don't have the time to devote beyond that.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Agreed that decades should be kept separate. 200 seems doable, but maybe trim a little further as we move backwards...
    Or perhaps 192. Need to do a think on the math and the rounds. But yes, as we go further back, we'll reduce the nominations more and more. Obviously, with the 1920s, that's probably the least-seen decade, and I have seen a bunch of movies from the '20s but right now I couldn't say how many. But definitely not even close to 200. Closer to 100, probably, if not less. So that would very likely be a pretty small tournament.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'll definitely be participating. I'll have to prepare my lists for the 50s and 60s, but I feel like those are two of my favorite decades of films. There's so many great ones. I'm sure as we move back in time we can decrease the amount of nominations. I have some favorites from back then, but I probably haven't seen a whole lot outside of those. I'll have to start searching out some films now.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

When will this officially start again?

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Or perhaps 192. Need to do a think on the math and the rounds. But yes, as we go further back, we'll reduce the nominations more and more. Obviously, with the 1920s, that's probably the least-seen decade, and I have seen a bunch of movies from the '20s but right now I couldn't say how many. But definitely not even close to 200. Closer to 100, probably, if not less. So that would very likely be a pretty small tournament.
    I totally agree with rolling the numbers back a bit.

My Mood
    Cool

I have 10 already and I know there are more.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    When will this officially start again?
    We're almost done with the 1970s, the Finals are next Monday and the winner will be proclaimed May 31. We then usually take a month or so off, so I'll start the 1960s nominations thread some time in July. Maybe early July so we have 2-3 weeks to watch some of the nominees if we want, and voting would start end of July.

My Mood
    Cool

Great, I am up to 15 now. Hopefully I can get some more.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I will probably be a little active in the 60's, but there is a steep drop off between 70's and 60's. Ouside of 007, hitchcock and man with no name trilogy, not much in the 60's I am familiar with. Might nominate a few, but will probably wait until groups are paired down a bit to be more active.

60's will probably be last decade I participate in.

In the 30's we got some classics (dracula, frankenstein, gone with the wind, wizard of oz, king kong), but that's all I got. (never seen gwtw, and with a 4h runtime, probably never will)
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Cut the nominees in half for the 60's, then reevaluate after that.

Country
    Country Flag

Going from 256 for the 1970s to 128 for the 1960s seems a touch drastic, but we still have time to figure this out. We can start off with 192 and if nominations stall too much we can always cut back more on the spot.

Country
    Country Flag

What if we do something like this:

1960s: 192
    1950s: 160
    1940s: 128
    1930s: 100
    1920s: 50

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that looks good.

We could just play it by ear as we go along with the nomination process for each tournament.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a small difference, but I'd stick with 128 in the 1930s as well - it's actually a pretty good decade of film.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    It's a small difference, but I'd stick with 128 in the 1930s as well - it's actually a pretty good decade of film.
    Yeah, I love the '30s movies, lots of really funny comedies!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I would play it by ear and see how the nominations go.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

And just like that our 1970s tournament is over! Thank you, everybody, for your voting and continued participation. We literally couldn’t do this without all of you!

We’re taking a short break as usual, but will be back in about a month to start the nominations process for the 1960s!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    We’re taking a short break as usual, but will be back in about a month to start the nominations process for the 1960s!
    TBH, you might as well crown Psycho as the winner of the 1960s now and be done with it. The outcome is beyond inevitable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast