Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1435

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    My apologies because I'm sure you've gone over this numerous times, but just curious how you set up the groupings? Why is it 1 vs 5 and 4 vs 8? Instead of 1 vs 8 and 4 vs 5? Seems like lots of good films can get eliminated since the highest are going against the highest and lesser ranked films go against each other, allowing those to move on further. I know it likely won't make any difference once we get down to the finals, but would affect the overall ranking of the films.
    First, no apologies necessary.

I've shared my process and system before but I'm always happy to post a refresher. It might not be the most perfect way, but it's how we've done pretty much all of the tournaments I've run. Essentially, after the first round where seeding is random, all movies are ranked by their cumulative percentage. In earlier rounds, when we have 32 groups, that means the top 32 movies are seeded first in each group, from 1 to 32. Then the next 32 are seeded second, again from 1 to 32. And so on. That means that when we get to 16 or 8 or 4 groups, the process is the same. In this round we have the top four going to the top spot in groups 1 through 4, and the bottom four going as second in the same order.

I hope that makes sense?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

It does, and I think I ask every tournament It just seems like as we progress thru the tournament that better films are pitted against each other sending one home, while lesser ranked ones move on. For example, The African Queen moves on, yet 7 of the 8 films eliminated have a higher ranking than it. And then it's put up against the 4th best film, giving it a stronger chance of moving on. I'm sure it probably won't here, but depending on the match-up the film could win. No sense in changing it now, and probably best to keep for the remaining tournaments in the series. It's just something that's always bugged me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I totally hear that, but I think this system is actually fairer. If we're looking at the earlier rounds, with 32, 64, etc. films, pitting the best against the worst seems off to me. So this is kind of a middle-ground, I suppose.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yeah, in an ideal situation, maybe there would be a way to rank them without groupings. But then that also wouldn't be much fun either.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, in an ideal situation, maybe there would be a way to rank them without groupings. But then that also wouldn't be much fun either.
    Right, this is after all for fun. And we do get a ranking at the end of it all. Probably not a scientific ranking, but it's ours.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

This is all for fun and discussion. But we'd all have to have seen all the films nominated and all would have to vote in most if not all of the polls. I wonder how THAT would turn out....not complaining, just speculating....

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Thinking about it, my above statement, I think the way films came down to the finals worked. It's been a great list the whole time so any winner now will be a deserved one! Thanks again, Mae!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Well its looking good for the final 4. Looks like 3 films I like, and 1 I have never seen will be in the final 4.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

We are getting close to the end here, people! The semifinal polls just went up, and next week is the 1950s final! Which two will it be? And which will ultimately prevail?

Moving on:
    1. Rear Window 529.80%
    2. 12 Angry Men 483.12%
    3. Vertigo 471.77%
    4. Seven Samurai 444.96%

Eliminated:
    1. The Day the Earth Stood Still 399.30%
    2. Ben-Hur 394.01%
    3. Rebel Without a Cause 387.98%
    4. The African Queen 318.85%

Beautiful Top Four!!

Country
    Country Flag

And so another final matchup is here! Thank you very much to everybody for participating and continuing to participate. We are about to wrap up our seventh decade of film! It's really amazing. We only have three more to go.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    And so another final matchup is here! Thank you very much to everybody for participating and continuing to participate. We are about to wrap up our seventh decade of film! It's really amazing. We only have three more to go.

Just curious how the average number of voters compared to previous tournaments.

I don't foresee me participating much in the 40's. I suspect I have probably seen more 30's films then 40's.

Thanks for hosting this. Didn't expect I would participate in the 50's this much, but "discovering" TMC the last year or two has really exposed me to older movies.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post

Just curious how the average number of voters compared to previous tournaments.

I don't foresee me participating much in the 40's. I suspect I have probably seen more 30's films then 40's.

Thanks for hosting this. Didn't expect I would participate in the 50's this much, but "discovering" TMC the last year or two has really exposed me to older movies.
    You're very welcome! As for average number of voters, I'm not sure. I won't go through every poll and get a number of everyone who voted, but in general the core group has stayed about the same. In more recent decades (1980s and later) we had slightly more voters, I think, around 25 or so, maybe slightly more at the start. With the 1950s we've dropped to around 17-ish. I imagine the number will continue to decline, but that's okay. I think we can still have a meaningful vote with a smaller group, even if we're in the single digits for the 1920s.

Here's the number of people who voted in each Final:

1990s: 26
    2000s: 25
    1980s: 33
    2010s: 24
    1970s: 27
    1960s: 22
    1950s: 15 so far

Country
    Country Flag

And here is the overall 1 through 160 ranked list for the 1950s according to our membership:

Country
    Country Flag

And so another part of our tournament comes to an end, and twice in a row now we've had a tie in the Final vote. I find that very interesting! Now we all take a very well-deserved break, but I'll be back in early July with the nominations thread for the 1940s! I know many of us classic film fans have been waiting for this decade. I personally find movies from the 1940s and '30s to be some of the best of all time.

If you want to participate and you're looking to start making your list of things to nominate, here are some of the usual links as food for thought:

Thanks again Mae for all dedication and hard work running the tournament! Too bad it ended in a tie, but I guess that just goes to show what strong films they both are.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks again Mae for all dedication and hard work running the tournament! Too bad it ended in a tie, but I guess that just goes to show what strong films they both are.
    You're welcome, Heather, and thanks to everyone for participating! Hope to see you back for the next round!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

12 Angry Men the Goaaaaaaaaaaattttttt

Thanks for another fun tournament, Mae.

Thank you, Mae!

Country
    Country Flag

You’re very welcome, everyone!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Great tournament. The films in the final 32 on down were just all so phenomenal. Right down to the finals - two great films. So glad that 12AM won.

Thanks Mae. Looking forward to the next decade.

Country
    Country Flag

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

No need to have a tournament, just put Casablanca vs Citizen Kane in the final already lol.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    No need to have a tournament, just put Casablanca vs Citizen Kane in the final already lol.
    I was about to post the same thing. LOL!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast