Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1435

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I nominate Ikiru, Kurosawa's finest film.
    I agree it's his best film but narrowly, there are so many great ones to choose from!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    We are here once again, at the end. Our sixth winner has just been crowned! I'm sorry it ended up in a bit of a controversial call, but that's just how it goes sometimes, and it just means we had two wonderful picks for the best movie of the 1960s and we made the right choices along the way.

Thank you all for your diligent voting and participation! We only have four more decades to go, starting with our next one: the 1950s. I'll post some food-for-thought links as usual a little later, giving everyone a chance to take in the winner. And also take some well-deserved rest from the polls.

But after the holidays we'll start our nomination process, so it's a god idea to sometime soon start thinking about what films you'd like to nominate. I know there might be less of us taking part going further with these classic decades, but the 1950s had some absolute all-time classics (as did the 1940s, 1930s, and 1920s). So my hope is that a core group will continue to see this through to the end. As I had mentioned before, after we do all ten decades with the scheduled amount of picks, we will end up with a list of the best 2,000 movies of the last 100 years, from 1920 to 2019. I mean, you can't find a more comprehensive list, I bet!
    I don't think it was controversial at all. Psycho got more stated votes.

Thank again for another wonderful job, Mae!
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Thank again for another wonderful job, Mae!
    You're very welcome! And thanks again to everyone, I hope most of you will be back for the 1950s! The nominations thread should be going up after New Year's.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thank you Mae for another wonderful tournament. Can't wait to start the 50s!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm calling it now. Hitchcock and Kurosawa in the final - guaranteed!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    I'm calling it now. Hitchcock and Kurosawa in the final - guaranteed!
    Could be! I've gone over my DVD shelf and my "movies viewed" spreadsheet and the vast majority of the '50s films I've enjoyed are either Japanese or Hitchcock. For the Japanese, pretty much split between Kurosawa and Ozu, but a couple of others that are right up there. Kurosawa is better known in the West, but I suggest to anyone reading this to watch Ozu's Tokyo Story and Floating Weeds. I know that his Good Morning is fairly well known, but that one never did much for me.

For those who mainly think of Kurosawa for his samurai or period films, I really do suggest Ikiru. A better film about human nature you would be hard pressed to find. If you happen to watch the Criterion version, I heartily recommend the commentary, which provides some really interesting cultural perspective. Out of all Kurosawa's films, this is the one I will revisit over and over because it's just so profound.

But regardless of the above, I predict a certain non-Japanese, non-Hitchcock film might win it. I'll be interested to see if I'm right.

And I'll be nominating one of my favorites: an action/comedy/swashbuckling romance that is in my top 10 of all time.

Can't wait for the actual contest to open!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Besides a Hitchcock or any of a number of great foreign films of the 50s or Kubrick's Paths of Glory, I would want Sunset Blvd. to win.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sunset Blvd is amazing. Of course Hitchcock is a favorite of mine too. But lets not forget that this was the era of James Dean, so I'm hoping at least one of his films can make it far in the tournament.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think I've seen Giant about 30 times.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

I did indeed watch Rebel without a Cause on a continuous loop back in college studying Organic Chemistry. I know I've seen it at least 60 times now.

EDIT: It also was at a time in my life when all I had was a dvd/vhs player with not many titles to choose from.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Hi everyone, welcome to 2022 and our fourth year of this tournament! I know!

I'll be opening up the 1950s nominations thread next Monday the 10th, so hopefully everyone took this holiday down time to unwind and do all the holiday and family things, but also got some of their favorite '50s movies together for nominations! See you soon!

Country
    Country Flag

Just a quick friendly reminder that nominations for the 1950s open up on Monday!

So many good ones to choose from!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sadly I won’t be taking part. Thank you for all the hard work but there is literlly nothing that interests me from that era.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Sadly I won’t be taking part. Thank you for all the hard work but there is literlly nothing that interests me from that era.
    Sad to see one be so closed minded - "literally nothing"?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Close
    Minded? Poor choice of words on your part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

We’ll miss your participation! Perhaps once it comes down to the top ten or something you could check them out if anything seems intriguing.

Country
    Country Flag

We’ll miss your participation! Perhaps once it comes down to the top ten or something you could check them out if anything seems intriguing.
    Yeah I can see trying that out.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Close
    Minded? Poor choice of words on your part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, both are grammatically correct. Just busting you!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Just remembered that 12 Angry Men is a 50's film. That will definitely be one my dark horses to win the whole thing. What a great film.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Vertigo
    Rear Window
    North by Northwest
    Dial M for Murder

Damn, Hitchcock kinda owned the 50's, didn't he?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I can see trying that out.
    If you want, I can give my personal suggestions of 5-10 films I strongly anticipate will be in the later knockout stages. You can look them up, see which might tickle your fancy, and join us for the discussions in the later part of the tournament.

Country
    Country Flag

So we have our list of 160 titles for the 1950s and the schedule has been posted in the first post. We're underway with Round 1 starting on January 31! In the meantime, this is where you can currently stream all of the nominees, if you wish to use the time to catch up on some of these films:
    1. 12 Angry Men: Amazon Prime; Kanopy
    2. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Disney+
    3. A Christmas Carol
    4. A Face in the Crowd: Criterion Channel
    5. A Man Escaped: Criterion Channel
    6. A Night to Remember: Criterion Channel; Hoopla
    7. A Place in the Sun: Hoopla
    8. A Star Is Born: HBO Max
    9. A Streetcar Named Desire: HBO Max
    10. A Summer Place
    11. Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man
    12. Ace in the Hole: Criterion Channel; Hoopla