Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

The Babadook just sucked IMO.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd like to suggest the 2018 film A Quiet Place.

Sorry. My VPN is acting up. That link is to the IMDB page for the movie. Perhaps I can post a trailer later. The movie is very Kingesque.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Glad you said it first.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Glad you said it first.
    GARBAGE. Period.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Glad you said it first.
    GARBAGE. Period.
    I think I mentioned it in another thread but I agree. I had a very difficult time getting all the way through it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great film, but not a hidden gem.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well I really liked The Babadook. The realization that it's all in the mother's head was intriguing and not at all like your typical "monster movie."

However, the film that everyone else seems to love, that I found ridiculous, was Goodnight, Mommy. About halfway through I started to do a MST3K watch of it. That's the only thing that kept it tolerable.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just for the heck of it, here are some recent what I'd call hidden gems (all streaming on either Netflix or Prime):

Brittany Runs a Marathon (2019)
    Kumbalangi Nights (2019)
    Atlantics (2019)
    Burning (2018)
    The Kindergarten Teacher (2018)
    To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Also Song of the Sea is so beautiful. I wish they would make more animated films like this.
    Have you seen The Breadwinner? It's on Netflix. It's from the same team that did The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea.

I also listed a bunch of probably overlooked but beautiful animated (mainly 2D) films earlier here.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Burning {2018}
    I started this last night, got about 45 minutes in but then my girl called me and I of course ended up being on the phone for like 2 hours () and then passed out right after.

I'm gonna finish it tonight, enjoying it so far.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I'm not sure what qualifies as "hidden", but a few films that come to mind:

Blue Ruin
    Nightcrawler
    The VVitch
    Grabbers

That last one really is a hidden gem. It's not smart or deep or steeped in social commentary. It's a low budget horror B-movie.

There are a lot of bad low budget B-movies that get a lot of attention for being "so bad it's good". Grabbers is a *good* low-budget B-movie. The acting is solid. The special effects are solid. The direction and editing are solid. It's a good script. You become invested in what's happening on screen. It's clearly limited by its budget, but the caliber of filmmaking lifts it above its budget limitations. It's not the best movie ever, it's just very good at being the type of movie it wants to be.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Babadook is an excellent film, y'all are tripping.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Yeah, holy shit you guys are off. Were you all looking for a normal Hollywood horror film or something? That's not what it is. It's a film about parenthood more than anything else.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Yeah, holy shit you guys are off. Were you all looking for a normal Hollywood horror film or something? That's not what it is. It's a film about parenthood more than anything else.
    No, I rarely look for a normal Hollywood horror movie. I've seen hundreds over the years and the more off beat, the better. And I recognize and understand the theme of parenthood so it's not as if I am confused about what the film is, I was just bored by it. The book was cool though.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Just saw Burning last night. Excellent film. I've been thinking about it all morning.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Also Song of the Sea is so beautiful. I wish they would make more animated films like this.
    Have you seen The Breadwinner? It's on Netflix. It's from the same team that did The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea.

I also listed a bunch of probably overlooked but beautiful animated (mainly 2D) films earlier here.
    I remember the trailer for it but I haven't seen it yet. Didn't even realize it was from the same team. I'll definitely watch it soon.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

And a brilliant film, at that!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just saw Burning last night. Excellent film. I've been thinking about it all morning.
    I'm still thinking about it too and I watched it a year ago.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

We now have 300 official films in the tournament. We've had a fantastic run of tournaments the last few years (another big thank you to Mae) with the 80s, 90s, 2000s and now this current tournament. We've seen a ton of films nominated and a great response when it comes to the polls.

However, one could make the argument that this will be the last tournament for a while in which we see a turn out like this. The other decades are packed with some truly amazing films, but there just aren't going to be as many people itching to get their films nominated. There are quite a few 60s films that I adore, but I can't put together a list of 300 films like I did for the 90s. Of course, I continue to watch films from older decades, but I won't be able to watch them fast enough.

I could be wrong, but we have to really enjoy this tournament and the member response that will come along with it.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

We now have 300 official films in the tournament. We've had a fantastic run of tournaments the last few years (another big thank you to Mae) with the 80s, 90s, 2000s and now this current tournament. We've seen a ton of films nominated and a great response when it comes to the polls.

However, one could make the argument that this will be the last tournament for a while in which we see a turn out like this. The other decades are packed with some truly amazing films, but there just aren't going to be as many people itching to get their films nominated. There are quite a few 60s films that I adore, but I can't put together a list of 300 films like I did for the 90s. Of course, I continue to watch films from older decades, but I won't be able to watch them fast enough.

I could be wrong, but we have to really enjoy this tournament and the member response that will come along with it.
    Looking forward to the challenge of the 60s and 70s in particular.

Country
    Country Flag

The schedule for the 2010s tournament has now been added to the first post

We now have three weeks to catch up on any of the nominees we haven't seen and might catch on streaming or something (see full list of the 320 entries in the first post of the nominations thread). I implore everyone to make a good faith effort to try and seek out some of the ones you may have never heard of, because at least two people consider them to be great movies worthy of being in this tournament.

Also, hopefully three weeks is enough time for Still Servant's research into the actors featuring in this decade. I'm always super interested in that and he does an amazing job!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Out of the 320, I've seen 100 of them, am at least familiar with 100 of them and am completely unfamiliar with the other 120.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Out of the 320, I've seen 100 of them, am at least familiar with 100 of them and am completely unfamiliar with the other 120.
    Go ahead and plug them into https://www.justwatch.com/us and see if you can catch up with any that appeal to you. I can honestly say every single nominated film here is at least good.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Go ahead and plug them into https://www.justwatch.com/us and see if you can catch up with any that appeal to you. I can honestly say every single nominated film here is at least good.
    I can't. There are at least 2 or 3 in there that I've seen and did not like at all. Probably another dozen that I've seen that I'll likely never watch again as well.

I know myself though. I might watch 1 or 2 of the ones I haven't if I get around to them but that'll be about it. I never really make much of an effort to catch up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast