Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Hello friends, it is with great pleasure that I start this particular thread, as it will serve as the launchpad for The Great Movie Tournament, our endeavor to go through each of the ten decades of film and yes, it will take a long time. For reference, here is the original announcement/discussion thread. All further announcements and discussion can be had in this thread, and this first post will be continually updated with the schedules and links for all of the tournament polls.

As it stands, and as discussed previously, the goal is to go through each decade of film, starting with the three latest (the 1990s, the 2000s, and the 2010s). We will then go back in reverse order through the 1980s, the 1970s, the 1960s, the 1950s, the 1940s, the 1930s, and the 1920s (perhaps along with the 1910s for good measure). At the end, each of the ten winners will face-off with one another in a round-robin ranking/tournament to determine the ultimate film of all time. Each decade should take us about four months to do as has been our average with these types of tournaments. That means two decades a year for five years. I know, it sounds daunting, and I hope we all make it to the end (if I don't for whatever reason, I would hope someone picks it up and gets it over the finish line).

So the preliminary (rough) overall schedule is as follows:

Winner of each decade

The 1990s

The 2000s

The 1980s

The 2010s

The 1970s

The 1960s

The 1950s

The 1940s

The 1930s

The 1920s
    Last edited by mae; 08-24-2020 at 04:53 AM.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for organizing this, Mae, and making it easy for us to do the "easy" part.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Thanks for organizing this, Mae, and making it easy for us to do the "easy" part.
    It's honestly my pleasure and I hope this gets everyone to watch some great movies they haven't seen in a while or always been meaning to.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hopefully after Oscars season. Gotta prioritize!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I feel you. This is my list of movies to watch in the next two months.

Paddington 2 - Jan 12
    Black Panther - Feb 16
    Annihilation - Feb 23
    The Death of Stalin - March 9
    Thoroughbreds - March 9
    Love, Simon - March 16
    Isle of Dogs - March 29
    Revenge - May 11
    Book Club - May 18
    First Reformed - May 18
    American Animals - June 1
    Won't You Be My Neighbour? - June 8
    Damsel - June 22
    Three Identical Strangers - June 29
    Sorry To Bother You - July 6
    Eighth Grade - July 13
    Nico 1988 - August 1
    The Miseducation of Cameron Post - August 3
    BlacKKKlansman - August 10
    The Wife - August 17
    The Little Stranger - August 30
    Mandy - September 14
    Colette - September 21
    The Sisters Brothers - September 21
    the Old Man and The Gun - September 28
    Bad Times at the El Royale - October 12
    First Man - October 12
    Can You Ever Forgive Me? - October 19
    Galveston - October 19
    Boy Erased - November 2
    Widows - November 16
    Vice
    If Beale STreet Could Talk
    Burning
    Cold War
    Capernum
    Shoplifters
    Never Look Away
    You Were Never Really Here
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

I feel you. This is my list of movies to watch in the next two months.

Paddington 2 - Jan 12
    Black Panther - Feb 16
    Annihilation - Feb 23
    The Death of Stalin - March 9
    Thoroughbreds - March 9
    Love, Simon - March 16
    Isle of Dogs - March 29
    Revenge - May 11
    Book Club - May 18
    First Reformed - May 18
    American Animals - June 1
    Won't You Be My Neighbour? - June 8
    Damsel - June 22
    Three Identical Strangers - June 29
    Sorry To Bother You - July 6
    Eighth Grade - July 13
    Nico 1988 - August 1
    The Miseducation of Cameron Post - August 3
    BlacKKKlansman - August 10
    The Wife - August 17
    The Little Stranger - August 30
    Mandy - September 14
    Colette - September 21
    The Sisters Brothers - September 21
    the Old Man and The Gun - September 28
    Bad Times at the El Royale - October 12
    First Man - October 12
    Can You Ever Forgive Me? - October 19
    Galveston - October 19
    Boy Erased - November 2
    Widows - November 16
    Vice
    If Beale STreet Could Talk
    Burning
    Cold War
    Capernum
    Shoplifters
    Never Look Away
    You Were Never Really Here
    You Were Never Really Here needs to move to the top.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    You Were Never Really Here needs to move to the top.

It's chronological. The site I was using for release dates didn't have it. Added it after when I realized it. Haven't looked up the date yet, but I'm pretty sure it was April something.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

While I wait for this tournament to start, I figured I would go ahead and start putting together a list of my favorite films from 2000-2009. I went and dug out the thread from this very forum. I found my list, and it will be a nice starting point for me, not to mention looking at what other people put on their list.

However, that's not why I'm posting this link. Feev not once, but twice promised to put together a list of his favorite films of the decade and never did.

You've had 10 years, my dude. Where that list at? We demand a list!

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-of-the-decade

Country
    Country Flag

There's also this thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...s-of-2000-2009 I should probably merge them.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    There's also this thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...s-of-2000-2009 I should probably merge them.
    That's the one I thought I linked. Not sure what happened.

Country
    Country Flag

They've been merged

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    They've been merged
    Oh, I gotcha.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've barely survived a great shock now - I had a very clear, absolutely real idea, that there was no 12 Monkeys among the nominations. As soon as I got home I ran to check - and luckily, of course, it was there very early on the list. But it definitely cost me tons of those neurons or whatever they are

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

And we are live, folks! The first polls just went up! To anyone new to the process, please make sure to not vote more than the specified amount of titles per poll (six during the first round). You can vote for less, but please do not vote for more.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Voted. Glad to see this thing rolling along. And thanks again Mae. This is an awesome undertaking.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yes, big thanks to Mae for putting in all the work.

It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

It's a lot of work, but it's fun work. Please check the schedule in the first post and make sure to come back for all the upcoming polls. Each one runs for seven days so everyone should get a chance.

Country
    Country Flag

Also worth pointing out is the newly-created section for The Great Movie Tournament under the Past Tournaments sub-forum. This is an archive area for all of our previous events and I've already moved the announcement and the 1990s nominations threads there for posterity. They're still fully accessible there and you can post replies if you like. To keep things tidy-ish here at The Gem, poll threads will also be moved there shortly after the polls close and the titles moving on announced.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Keep up the great work, Mae. Let me know if you need my help in any way.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes thank you. These are great fun. Although after my birthdate (1976) I liked the movies but don't like a single one I can think of before hand....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

good grief...
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Great work, Mae.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    good grief...
    I know, it's the most ambitious thing ever attempted in the history of online polls, and I'm not even sure I would be able to see it through five years. But I'll damn well try!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Yes thank you. These are great fun. Although after my birthdate (1976) I liked the movies but don't like a single one I can think of before hand....
    What even these?....

Jaws (1975)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    The Godfather (1972)
    The Godfather Part 2 (1974)
    The Exorcist (1973)

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    good grief...
    My thoughts exactly.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thanks Mae! I know how much work goes into these, and this one is a huge endeavour. I wish we could do it all at once because I'm a huge fan of classic films. I don't want to wait years to get to them

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    What! Hitchcock... Orson Welles... 2 of the best directors. There's nothing you like by them?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast