Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Jerome's guidelines and am enjoying the event even with fantastic movies being knocked out by crap ones.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Going forward, I propose the following guidelines:
    • Staff may not vote for any member while the poll is open.The member can be tutored how to vote for themselves.
    • A stated vote only counts if the member has actually voted in the poll.
    • Staff can change a member's vote upon request as long as the poll is still open.
    • Changing or adding a vote after the poll has closed is at the discretion of mae or myself, but should only be done under the most extenuating of circumstances.
    I'm fully on board with that, boss!

And I wouldn't call any of the remaining 16 "crap", at all. Some of the eliminated 16 I would have preferred to see move on instead, true, but we're now in that time of the tournament when hard choices need to be made.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Going forward, I propose the following guidelines:
    • Staff may not vote for any member while the poll is open.The member can be tutored how to vote for themselves.
    • A stated vote only counts if the member has actually voted in the poll.
    • Staff can change a member's vote upon request as long as the poll is still open.
    • Changing or adding a vote after the poll has closed is at the discretion of mae or myself, but should only be done under the most extenuating of circumstances.
    I'm fully on board with that, boss!

And I wouldn't call any of the remaining 16 "crap", at all. Some of the eliminated 16 I would have preferred to see move on instead, true, but we're now in that time of the tournament when hard choices need to be made.
    My "crap" comment pertains to the whole tournament not necessarily just this last round. I'm still mourning earlier round knockouts.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Me too. There's only a couple films left that I really enjoy. Hopefully one will make it to the finals, or at least close to it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another step closer. Quarterfinals are coming on Monday.

Moving on:
    1. Aliens 503.44%
    2. The Empire Strikes Back 493.14%
    3. Back to the Future 475.73%
    4. Die Hard 473.49%
    5. Raiders of the Lost Ark 470.60%
    6. The Terminator 455.61%
    7. Stand by Me 454.06%
    8. Beetlejuice 435.13%

Eliminated:
    1. Ghostbusters 399.34%
    2. Full Metal Jacket 398.68%
    3. The Thing 380.61%
    4. Blade Runner 375.72%
    5. Poltergeist 359.79%
    6. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 338.99%
    7. A Christmas Story 319.83%
    8. The Princess Bride 307.72%

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not happy that two of my films are facing off against each other in the next round...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Having to wait until Monday tho...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sorry Mae, you've probably said this before, but how do we know what films are up against what films in the next round?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Sorry Mae, you've probably said this before, but how do we know what films are up against what films in the next round?
    I have but I don't mind reiterating, I know it's important. Here's my post about the process from earlier:

Sure, no worries, it is something that I've answered before, in this very thread, but I don't mind going over it. It's just a simple system I'm using throughout the tournament. Just in general #1 against #32 or #64 doesn't seem very fair. This is how, from my understanding, World Cup brackets work. It's not the best against the worst, because what's the point?

The system I'm using is based on seeding across brackets or groups. In this round we have 16 groups, so I seeded the top 16 as the first spot in each of the groups, and then the bottom 16 as the second spot. It's easy and fair.

Here was my post from a few months back describing this process with 192 entries (after the first round which is random):

Not sure if I follow, and maybe I'm just not explaining it right. It's similar to World Cup seeding, from what I understand (I'm not big on soccer), but here is a visual:

So Round 1 is purely random. Then for Round 2 we are left with 192 films and they're all ranked by the vote percentage and then seeded into 32 groups of six from 1 to 192 thus. Fair and simple.
    I hope that makes sense! And you're welcome, it helps me in these dark times as well.
    For these final rounds the process is the same. With the Octofinals we had eight groups, so the top eight films were listed first in each group and then the bottom eight were listed as second in each one, from first to eighth both times. So #1 went up against #9, and so forth.

Here with the Quarterfinals again it's the same. We have four groups, so #1 will go up against #5. Makes sense, I hope!

And of course, the seeding itself is just determined by combining the vote percentage the film receives each round. So if in Round 1 it received 50% of the vote and in Round 2 it received 100%, its cumulative percentage will be 150% (out of possible 200%) and it will be ranked accordingly. In cases where films have the exact same percentage, they're seeded alphabetically.

Thanks Mae!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Me waiting for Mae to post the next round..

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, for a long time I was hoping for a final four of

Stand By Me
    Back to the Future
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Die Hard

Looks like only 2 will make it.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Stand By Me does not belong in top 4 lol

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Top four for me would be:

Aliens
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Die Hard
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

Aliens
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Die Hard
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Me to. I would only trade Aliens for Terminate.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

Aliens
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Die Hard
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    I like that. That's a respectable top 4.

Country
    Country Flag

We're almost at the finish line, people! Just four films remain:

Moving on:
    1. The Empire Strikes Back 562.84%
    2. Aliens 558.28%
    3. Die Hard 538.20%
    4. Stand by Me 507.00%

Eliminated:
    1. Back to the Future 522.79%
    2. Raiders of the Lost Ark 515.76%
    3. The Terminator 485.91%
    4. Beetlejuice 470.42%

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Well, at least I've seen 3 out of the final 4.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've only seen Empire, so that should make you feel better.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I've only seen Empire, so that should make you feel better.
    You never saw Stand By Me?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

No.
    USER BANNED.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

All are worth your time Ricky, bet on it. At the very least, check out Aliens.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

We're almost at the finish line, people! Just four films remain:

Moving on:
    1. The Empire Strikes Back 562.84%
    2. Aliens 558.28%
    3. Die Hard 538.20%
    4. Stand by Me 507.00%

Eliminated:
    1. Back to the Future 522.79%
    2. Raiders of the Lost Ark 515.76%
    3. The Terminator 485.91%
    4. Beetlejuice 470.42%
    The stats continue to mystify me. I hate seeing two great movies eliminated when they received more of the vote than one that moves on, especially when I like them both better than the film that moved on.

Country
    Country Flag

No.
    USER BANNED.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    All are worth your time Ricky, bet on it. At the very least, check out Aliens.
    I'm sure they are. I just never got around to Stand By Me because I haven't read The Body, and I haven't seen Aliens because I really wasn't blown away by Alien.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast